pimpanther

XFX 280x question

11 posts in this topic

ok just bought the XFX 280x DD BE.can i find a utility to overvolt it? no i cannot.tryas i might to find afterburner 3.0 [i heard it will do the job] i cannot find one thats complete.does anyone have some advice [apart from should of bought the msi card . i know i cant OV it by much but the fact i cant or "not allowed " makes me want to rey even more. Rig wise. mobo gigabyte sniper m5 micro ATX,RAM 8 GB 1600MHz Kingsron Fury BE,CPU i5 4thgen 4670k,PSU xfx pro 750 watt,case NZXT 440 cooling rainjinek triton and  changed all fans to corsair SF 120 HF.storage 500gb samsung evo and 1tb barracuda storage

pimpanther, first of all I would say Hi.

Now about the topic, well, have you even overclocked the card with stock voltage and tested to see how far it can reach? Then if you find the card unstable but don't know how to add more voltage, you can look for this: HardOCP XFX280X review (that's only an example).
There is also BIOS modifications that could help to achieve better performance, but in this case is better just stay with OC tool, at least for now, until you find max stable OC.
BTW, I recommend you to use Unigine Heaven and 3D Mark to check for stability of the card, Unigine crashes instantly if the card is unstable, whereas 3D Mark is also good to stress those memory overclocks(if you do such).
Good luck!

Edited by Skr13

Well you have to be more specific for what you're after.

You want to overvolt the card, but you ask for 'complete solution'. Then the question is: what is the complete solution you're looking for?

MSI Afterburner allows memory and GPU overvoltage, and XFX does not have its own tool. 

That said, I'm afraid your only solution is Afterburner.

XFX 280X review

Edited by WhyCry

i cannot find  MSI afterburner that will let me ov my card.i have been told 3.`0 version does it but all the others it remains locked.i ned hel to fond a link that actually has the full version of afterburner 3.0 as lors say they do bt parts are missing.i have tweaked all i can withe what i am allowed to play with.i use aquamark 3 vantage 3 d mark firestrike 3d mark and msi kombustor.currently using asus gpu tweak.at least i wanted to try and ov ot.whats the point in XFX advertising unlocked voltage but noy supplying the means to do it.

Edited by pimpanther
,istake

Are you sure you enabled all required options?

1012011103317pm.jpg

pimpanther, first of all I would say Hi.

Now about the topic, well, have you even overclocked the card with stock voltage and tested to see how far it can reach? Then if you find the card unstable but don't know how to add more voltage, you can look for this: HardOCP XFX280X review (that's only an example).
There is also BIOS modifications that could help to achieve better performance, but in this case is better just stay with OC tool, at least for now, until you find max stable OC.
BTW, I recommend you to use Unigine Heaven and 3D Mark to check for stability of the card, Unigine crashes instantly if the card is unstable, whereas 3D Mark is also good to stress those memory overclocks(if you do such).
Good luck!

yep done all that.in fact this version of afterburner is surpassed by the asus gpu twek.it doesnt have all that shader nonsense.all it allows mme is core clock and memeory clock and fan control.i get gpu clock,mv memeory voltage [it will move the slider but wont let me ov] ,memeory clock,power target and fan lol

did some reserch a 7970 and it was the 3.0 msi ab that would only do it.crazy but there you go

Edited by pimpanther

I can't help any further. I had no problem with GPU Tweak when I flashed the ASUS 290X bios into my 290X sample, that unlocked the voltage for me, but I never played with 280X.

I can't help any further. I had no problem with GPU Tweak when I flashed the ASUS 290X bios into my 290X sample, that unlocked the voltage for me, but I never played with 280X.

​Well Well, who's playing with bioses :D

​Well Well, who's playing with bioses :D

​The only difference is that I have dual bios :D

And Asus is the boss of BIOS with superior timings hence higher benchmarks/fps, he's doing it right :)