SMiThaYe

SSD Endurance Experiment
[TechReport] SSD Endurance Experiment: They're all dead

2 posts in this topic

[TechReport] SSD Endurance Experiment: They're all dead

From yesterday in case anyone missed it and my 840 PROs win the endurance test but not without concern. Have a read of this 4-page article and learn a bit more about the good/bad of SSDs and what to watch for in SMART stats.

If you have Samsung or other SSDs in RAID, TRIM is disabled meaning the lifespan will be less though some basic garbage collection should be working iirc and depends on the SSD itself and controller. The likes of Intel's 730 has support for TRIM in RAID but note that there is no power loss protection even though it was advertised as having it at the time and it kills itself without warning.

What would you prefer

• Enterprise-equivalent SSD lifespan + write endurance but without ANY warning of failure before it bricks in the example of Samsung/Intel? (note that normal use = 30-50GB daily writes that should last 20 years)
  • Or, would you be prepared to buy a SSD with 1/3 the lifespan and have clear warning and enough time to create an immediate backup?

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

Well, I prefer to have just one SSD, I don't really need RAID setup for SSD.

Although I have 2 Samsung HDDs in RAID0, where I install games and other apps, and another 2TB Green HDD for storage/backup.

BTW I use SSD Life, which tells me that my SSD is working fine, with health about 99%.

A bit offtopic: Once by mistake I deleted and formatted an entire partition of HDD, I was more than 100GB of important data lost, and after searching and testing various tools to recover lost partition, I finally found one that worked properly, MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro, man, this program was magical, saved my day in the end, so I always recommend it to friends or anyone who accidently delete important data in PC.