SMiThaYe

EVGA GTX 980 Classified VRM Updated, Slight Tweak

3 posts in this topic

EVGA GTX 980 Classified VRM Updated, Slight Tweak

The EVGA GTX 980 Classified VRM has been modified slightly with a new BIOS which meant changing the part number to avoid flashing wrong BIOS in case of mixup - 04G-P4-3988-KR.

I hope EVGA tightened the memory timings as the STRIX was outperforming it at lower clocks. Could be why the Hydro Copper was delayed in Europe.

The pressure is on from the release and record clocks and benchmarks from Galax 980 HOF at £620, white of course. Then on the 2nd January 2015 or there abouts we shall see the Asus GTX 980 ROG Matrix Platinum with its impressive BIOS and binned chips, all yours for £600. That's £200 more than the bog-standard GTX 980's, yip there's that flagship premium again.

Jacob: "Nothing wrong with previous one [VRM], just a different type. We had to make the change to continue production."

https://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-3988-KR

Now you have to check for the latest part number (04G-P4-3988-KR), whatever difference it makes matters for benchmarking and especially at those prices no matter how small the issue. Still, not as big an issue as their alleged "misaligned heat pipes" :P

source

I don't find misaligned heat pipe an issue. For such a low-energy processor, this heat pipe was probably worthless.

Anyway, I don't see those enthusiast-grade models (MATRIX, CLASSIFIED, HOF) really worth a buck right now. With GM200 it may actually make sense..

Only MSI hold off with Lightning series, because they knew it GM204 was not a high-end processor.

Yes I agree with your view.

My ramblings and feel free to disagree ;) It's silly when other coolers were designed around Maxwell than using the same one from the larger Kepler die and why the last heatpipe doesn't touch the die - if I recall correctly that's part of the reason besides better cooler on why other manufacturers have lower temperatures and noise levels, the ACX 2.0 fans are great. This reusing of old coolers is silly when the heatsink isn't being fully utilised. If that third pipe was used we'd be looking at a few degrees reduction in temps, small slips-ups from EVGA are starting to mount when competitors are gaining ground. I am also aware that Asus ROG Matrix had the same issue with Hawaii.

Matrix, Classified, HOF are all flagship achievements for the manufactures and nice cashcows - premiums are higher due to limited chip available. You can only push GM204 so far no matter how much beef up the VRMs, caps, power delivery, custom PCBs, binning, etc - not seeing any worried GTX780Ti Classified owners ;)

Stating the obvious now but the fastest GM204 will never be as fast as GM200 (full for ultra enthusiasts or half-fat to compete with AMD). The issues with stuttering (GTX970 suffers more plus that coil whine due to being all non-ref designs) will remain until new core arrives next year, 4GB is only enough for 1080p, otherwise knock down textures/shadows for 1440p. Memory compression to enhance bandwidth is not the answer (frametimes with 2MB L2 cache is doing its job to keep up with 384b 1.5MBL2  cache on GK110), neither is MFAA. We didn't ask or want another AA standard, move and you'll see inconsistent jaggies because its done in memory your screenshots will show aliasing. GTX980 is not cheap but I will accept this as a starting point of better things to come for the middling segment of the market.

Same old story as CPUs, tick (smaller die) tock (new arc) cycle, wait long enough and you will benefit from the changes. Moore's Law is 24 months: "The number of transistors incorporated in a chip will approximately double every 24 months." source. I could have stayed on SB 2600K for gaming and be content but thanks to 4930K Vegas/PS has seen a nice boost in productivity. Come Skylake 16/17 we'll find a reason to upgrade for PCI-E 4.0 - DDR4 prices should settle by then but we know about artificial inflation by now :P

Note I was referencing GTX970. EVGA original reddit response for reference https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/2h32xb/the_acx_cooler_used_on_the_evga_gtx_970_appears/ckpkbye

TeamEVGA , 2 months ago

Hello everyone,

The way the EVGA GTX 970 ACX heat sink was designed is based on the GTX 970 wattage plus an additional 40% cooling headroom on top of it. There are 3 heat pipes on the heatsink – 2 x 8mm major heat pipes to distribute the majority of the heat from the GPU to the heatsink, and a 3rd 6mm heatpipe is used as a supplement to the design to reduce another 2-3 degrees Celsius. Also we would like to mention that the cooler passed NVIDIA Greenlight specifications.

Due to the GPU small die size, we intended for the GPU to contact two major heat pipes with direct touch to make the best heat dissipation without any other material in between.

We all know the Maxwell GPU is an extremely power efficient GPU, our SC cooler was overbuilt for it and allowed us to provide cards with boost clocks at over 1300MHz. EVGA also has an “FTW” version for those users who want even higher clocks.

http://www.evga.com/images/forum/precision_gtx970sc.png

Regarding fan noise, we understand that some have expressed concerns over the fan noise on the EVGA GTX 970 cards, this is not a fan noise issue but it is more of an aggressive fan curve set by the default BIOS. The fan curve can be easily adjusted in EVGA PrecisionX or any other overclocking software. Regardless, we have heard the concerns and will provide a BIOS update to reduce the fan noise during idle.

Thanks, EVGA