vinnyv11

Hello all

9 posts in this topic

Hi I am just starting to get into a rebuild phase for my home desktop after my motherboard just went up.  Figured since my last pc was fairly high-end when built it was time to get a full upgrade in now with the luxury of being able to go piece by piece after the board/CPU replacement.  Currently looking at video cards to upgrade but getting big eye's with the prices i'm seeing for what is considered high-end.  Thanks for any advice to follow.

Current Build:

Asus Maximus VII Hero Board

Intel Core i7 - 4790K 4.0GHz

12 gb DDR3 Ram

256 GB Intel SSD

1TB WD 7200 Rpm

GTX 480 

Sound Blaster Z

Coolermaster Haf 932 Case

Corsair GS800 V1 -

Samsung U28D590D 4K Monitor

Astro A50 Headphones

Upgrades Pending:

Graphics Card upgrade

Additional SSD for Raid with current

RAM update (potential if new memory is compatible with 1150 board)

Water Cooling System (Down the line dream)

Edited by Skr13
Skr13: Removed links of shops and companies!

Hi, I removed the links you've posted, we don't need and don't want to know the shops where you purchased or want to purchase the components.

You can always share that kind of info, your doubts about shops on shoutbox(chat).

Hi Vinny and welcome to the forum.

Enjoy your stay :)

I always wanted Astro headset, but well, headsets get worn out very quickly, so I always go cheaper way.

Nice biuld, with great potential for gaming. With 4k monitor I wouldn't touch anything below Fiji/Gm200 though ;)

Hello~

I am a rock, I'm not sure how I type or read, or, well, really anything, but, I manage somehow.

Nice to have someone new, hopefully you stick around :D... We need larger active community :)

Hi Vinny and welcome to the forum :) . Enjoy the Forum !

Regards.

Hi vinny and welcome to the forums!

4K monitor... well that will require some money. You should aim for the current high end cards (980 / 970 / 290 / 290X) and buy at least two pieces. Or you are fine with one of them (970 is great in terms of perf/price), play at 1080p/1440p and wait another year until the next hardware generation arrives.

Anyway you should think about your memory configuration. I guess your 12GB are not set up as 6GB per channel, so you have 2x4GB at your full data rate and the last 4GB at the half rate. 8GB are still enough in most cases so you will not suffer from too strong performance losses, but you don't have any benefits from the additional 4GB either. Get some nice 16GB pack (and don't pay too much for extreme high clocks - it's not worth the money) and put that 'old' memory in your server / mom's computer / microwave (I don't recommend the latter).

Thargon he had bought a 295X2 and is playing about with that.

Agree about his RAM if not set up correctly for dual channel, should be 2x OR 4x 2GB/4GB. If one was added to bring it from 8GB to 12GB then please make sure you weren't mixing modules (keep SPD identical). If you plan on a 16GB system, buy quad channel packs and not two separate dual channel packs, version will differ and compatibility not guaranteed.