vinnyv11

New Graphics Card for 4K monitor purchase

8 posts in this topic

I just recently upgraded my monitor to a 28" 4K monitor and my current card is clearly not capable of handling the increased resolution at 4K or most games at full 1080P (GTX 480). So I am in the market for a new card. I was ready to purchase a GTX 770 about a month ago but couldn't pull the trigger as the benchmarks didn't seem that overwhelming. 

With the purchase of the monitor I am definitely getting to a need to upgrade rather than a prefer to upgrade so I wanted to get people's thoughts on what card I should be looking at for a gaming rig running a 4K monitor. The rest of my system is pretty much brand new as I just had a board go up so the video card is the last legacy piece I have. Thanks for any advice. I know the new cards are coming out soon but I wasn't sure if that usually indicates a drop off in current gen pricing that is significant enough to buy now or if people had good alternatives/suggestions.

Current Build:

Asus Maximus VII Hero Board

Intel Core i7 - 4790K 4.0GHz

12 gb DDR3 Ram

256 GB Intel SSD

1TB WD 7200 Rpm

GTX 480 

Sound Blaster Z

Coolermaster Haf 932 Case

Corsair GS800 V1

Samsung U28D590D 4K Monitor

Astro A50 Headphones

Upgrades Pending:

Graphics Card upgrade

Additional SSD for Raid with current

RAM update (potential if new memory is compatible with 1150 board)

Water Cooling System (Down the line dream)

Edited by Skr13
Skr13: Removed links of shops and companies!

Hi vinnyv11 please introduce yourself here.

At the moment, I would wait for GTX 970 and GTX 980 to be released, as you said current GTX 700 prices should drop then, but for 4K, SLI or CF is needed, no single GPU is capable to deliver smooth gaming experience at Ultra HD.

2x 290X or 2x780ti should be reasonable for that.

Depends on your budget, what PSU you are planning to use, case CPU and motherboard - should always post your specs when wanting upgrade.

Good reductions atm with 295X2 (you could buy one 295X2 and a 290X for good 4k performance to keep above 60fps). Avoids blocking it but you could do that anyway.

Or the new ARES IV with its 8GB framebuffer to avoid replacing it after 18 months. Already blocked and nice 8GB is tempting, check the reviews to see what's its truly capable of soon.

Yes we did notice your posts elsewhere but don't spread yourself too thin with reading/replying.

Depends on your budget, what PSU you are planning to use, case CPU and motherboard - should always post your specs when wanting upgrade.

Good reductions atm with 295X2 (you could buy one 295X2 and a 290X for good 4k performance to keep above 60fps). Avoids blocking it but you could do that anyway.

Or the new ARES IV with its 8GB framebuffer to avoid replacing it after 18 months. Already blocked and nice 8GB is tempting, check the reviews to see what's its truly capable of soon.

Yes we did notice your posts elsewhere but don't spread yourself too thin with reading/replying.

Updated original post with my current build.  Some pieces are definitely outdated as I update here but should be good until I decide to replace.

Your CPU is certainly up to the job and good specs for the board at that pricepoint, people use to pay as much for X79 boards as Haswell.

PCI-E 3.0 SLI would drop to x8/x8 and that's only 3% drop on average at 1080p, not sure how much this small drop would apply to 4k. At lower res (can't recall the exact pixels) you see no more than 1% drop.

If you plan on staying with that 800W PSU (only has four 6+2 PCI-E pins) you either go for two 290X's in XDMA and sacrifice image quality to maintain average of 35FPS (you won't hit 60 with two GPUs right now.... from either Nvidia or AMD).

Always have a budget in mind before you ask for help and set it in stone.

On your upgrade plans list:

• Firstly.... layout and options: PLAN and check for issues. There are many issues you can avoid through careful planning, change those plans, check again from scratch.
  • The HAF 932 is very good for traditional cooling but not suitable for custom loops due to lack of placement for rads and spacing in general, even a 900D gets a bit small with a 360/480 rad in the top. All in ones are meant to be used as exhaust and are now 140mm so check both clearance and size.
  • Your Z97 board can do the fastest DDR3 RAM (only up to 4x4GB) but you should stick to qualified vendors list and update BIOS to improve compatibility and stability. From trying out different speed DDR3 I wouldn't go above 2666MHz C11 DDR3 as the timing increase and no matter the speed as it decreases bandwidth. The fastest RAM doesn't even assume you CPU is overclocked and sometimes even a decent binned CPU with good ICM can stuggle with 2800MHz+ RAM speeds. I would stay with 2400MHz max and can say they are excellent, beyond this makes little difference to me gaming and encoding.
  • For SSDs I can recommend Samsung but go for enterprise class drives with higher write cycles than those cheaper NAND EVOs (perfectly fine for use as single drives). Ideally with power loss protection from say the M550 from Crucial that is based in the UK. Nothing new coming soon and feel free to check those reviews and more. Don't buy a SSD to use as hybrid SSD, far better and reliable to use on its own and keep HDD for storage, downloads, older games/programs, etc. Generally SSDs are limited to 20-30GB/s daily writes, Samsung Pro's are 40-50GB/s, while Intel hot and hungry 730's are 70GB/s.
  • If going for multiple GPUs your soundcard may fit in third slot. Other boards like my R4BE mean I can slot soundcard under first x16 slot in PCI x1/x4 because it's blocked, fits fine above 680 in second x16 slot. Options like this really helps with cooling and yes even a soundcard can generate a lot of heat, you'll know if it requires a PCI-E power cable this may generate heat.
  • Watercooling is best started with all-in-ones like Corsair H110i or 295X2. You could buy these EKWB starter kits but fittings, tubing isn't generous and you'd spec em better if you sourced them yourself.

Great info.  I've been thinking of going with the 295x2 since the price drop to $1K puts it at about the same price point as 2 290X.  I'm wondering if the new NVidia releases will push a price drop on the 290's to make it better to go the crossfire route or if this $1K pricing is too good to pass up.  Want to get something soon but if prices are going to come down or a promotion come up it might be worth it to wait.

Vinny, your motherboard will drop it down to PCI-E 3.0 8/8 for XDMA or SLI and that soundcard would be in the way if you tried to cram a couple in.

Go for 295X2 and keep the soundcard plus your case will be cooler and less noisy, always options later for additional 295X2 or 290X IF you upgrade to a 1500W PSU.

Remember your PSU has to run on separate 12V+ rails, each 28 Amps (50A total). 650W+ SuperFlower, Corsair and Seasonic are up to the job but check your documents to be sure for yours.

No pricedrops beyond what AMD have giving, more focus on using up sales of 295X2 and CPUs. If the heat+noise of AMD GPUs bothers you, wait for GM204 to see how well reviewers play at 4k.

Thanks for the follow-up.  I pulled the trigger on a Sapphire R9 295X2 as recommended.  Can't wait to get it in my rig.  Fun part will be installing being that i'm coming from a Nvidia card.  Sure the driver clean-up will be a mess but excited.  Now to research where i'm putting the fan for the liquid cooling in my case.