SMiThaYe

Intel
Intel Haswell-E 2011-V3 - All Discussions Here

6 posts in this topic

Tn8AkiAt.jpg

Intel Haswell-E - All Discussions Here

Since Haswell-E will be 40 lanes (PCI-E 3.0 16/16/8), any additional lanes for eg. soundscards (PCI-E x1/x4) and Sata ports (mainly) will be using PLX chip. PLX chip mostly used for storage I/O ports and obviously depends on the board used.

There should be 10 Sata III ports, 6 USB 3.0 ports (more if case has IO on front), 4-8 USB 2.0 ports. Memory bandwidth at 2400MHz quad channel should reach 50Gb/s which is double that of dual channel Haswell, when one fails and you run in triple channel it drops to 37Gb/s. Too high a latency (no idea on the speed ceiling yet before it tails off) will reduce linear gains.

And it will have the new XMP 2.0 profile for DDR4 which sets the timings, volts and clocks. Override the primaries once set though and reduce by 1, apply to CL, tRCD, tRP but leave the rest to automatic or set Nearer auto timings for the second set of timings. Some RAM has 3 or 4 sets of timings. You could use Asus MemTweakIt to adjust timings in real-time, mainly used when benchmarking to improve fps and a system reset brings back default timings, it doesn't save these to BIOS.

Here I stuck together a table for comparison, was learning how to use Libre Draw today for the first time and ended with this :P

rnXMCNC.png

Make a post if you have any more information relating to Haswell-E, or if you are going to upgrade which CPU and why.

AIBs will have motherboards ready as soon as 5960X/5930K/5820K is officially launched, and its been suggested that Rampage 5 Extreme is getting early release too. X99 Deluxe below looking great, also the download support page URL is this but not live yet.

cPlxw9im.jpg

VC exclusive Haswell-E slides: http://videocardz.com/51380/intel-haswell-e-i7-5960x-i7-5930k-i7-5820k-pricing-revealed

Update #1

T9xTCbT.png

Edited by SMiThaYe
added performance table for comparison to my 4930K OC

You got some pretty nice score there . If you got some link for " good" review please share them here :)

Regards

Thanks, not bad for triple-channel and can't wait until I get board replacement - has "abnormal" reading in BIOS which means slot is broke. Was awaiting for price-drop but R4BE more expensive than RVE right now :(

This is worth reading through (with adblock), got mostly everything else and only needed to know numbers - Anandtech and Hardocp.

Going by the timings from various DDR4 SPD for Haswell-E 2011-3 and this is what you can expect for JEDEC, XMP, and OC profiles from what I gathered in the past 10 minutes.

Notes:

• For 4GB modules only and is verified for four DIMMS unless your motherboards QVL says otherwise
  • The higher the DDR4 frequency the less room you have to overclock the CPU unless it has a very good IMC
  • RAM above 2133MHz is not JEDEC memory standard and stability and compatibility is not guaranteed unless stated otherwise

Obviously the higher the clockspeed the more memory will cost, even on premium DDR4 there is bigger premium for the low quantity of handtested binned/filtered modules that companies clamour for. There is a good reason, it uses the highest quality IC and PCB to ensure lower temperature, low leakage, lower timings. Just an extra 0.15v to attain these official 3300MHz clocks and no more needed (unless you like testing your PSUs OCP and smoke alarm). Current market demand for 2800+ DDR3/DDR4 is small but very profitable. Over the past 12 months they shifted NAND production from the ever declining margins of a competitive SSD/DDR3 market and why you've seen increasing prices of DDR3. Retail prices of DDR3 have gradually increased on average by 50%, keep this mind when comparing DDR3 (inflated prices) to DDR4 (early adopters premium).

From the data you'll see 2800MHz timings are a couple notches higher at 1.2v versus 1.35v. Compared to DDR3 you had to use 1.65v (using Haswell's better IC) to remain at 2800MHz a healthy 27.27% reduction in voltages. While I'm sure some chips may end up come near the higher speeds of factory OC units, there will be trade-offs in timings which eventually affects the speed. Hopefully this helps others decide where to place their next paycheck :P

Supported 4GB quad-channel DDR4 speeds + timings

Maximum DDR4 potential right now is 4266 MHz for smaller capacities. Maximum capacities for DDR3 sits at only 8GB DIMMs currently. Higher density OC (non-ECC) DDR4 will reach 16/32GB early next year for consumers. For business ECC should hit 128GB per DIMM at JEDEC specifications of 2133MHz 1.2v. For Crucial's 4x16GB PC4-17000 registered ECC it retails for £1033, LRDIMM (features a buffer chip) 4x32GB capacities retails for £2487.

DDR4-3300  PC4-26400  16-18-18-36  1.35v
DDR4-3200  PC4-25600  16-18-18-36  1.35v 
DDR4-3000  PC4-24000  16-17-16-36  1.35v
DDR4-2800  PC4-22400  16-17-17-36  1.20v
DDR4-2666  PC4-21300  15-16-16-36  1.20v
DDR4-2400  PC4-19200  15-16-16-36  1.20v
DDR4-2133  PC4-17000  15-15-15-36  1.20v

<< Guideline: (ie DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 15-16-16-36 1.20v) >>

DDR4-2666 = Rated chip and speed (MT/s)
PC4-21300 = Rated module gen and bandwidth
       15 = Cas (latency aka CL)
       16 = tRCD (clock cycles delay aka RAS to CAS)
       16 = tRP (terminate memory and access next in range aka row precharge)
       36 = tRAS (access row of data and precharge delay aka cycle time)
      xxx = tRFC (aka row fresh cycle time)
        x = 2T (timing aka command rate)
    1.20v = Rated voltage

Read more http://www.tweakers.fr/timings.html
Edited by SMiThaYe
updated post, please re-read ;)

Thanks for the input . If i get i right , the sweet spot of DDR4 sits between 2133MHz - 2800MHz , Higher speed means not stable ?

regards

Glad it was helpful Omega :)

I focused more on enthusiast class RAM (not yet by far IMO) than slower speeds than 2133MHz for DDR4. Common sense would dictate that Haswell-E (JEDEC maximum of 2133MHz) would be a good starting point for DDR4 factory OC RAM and people prepared to pay extra to make it worth going all out for DDR4 otherwise stick with the mature 2011 platform for stability. You could also check scaling across the OEMs for value to speed ratio, this changes frequently down to the minute because of the volatile costs of memory and currencies (check every day though).

Higher speeds don't mean it's less stable on the part of the RAM but on the part of the ICM on the CPU. If you're stuffed with a below-average chip then on a well-known OC board alone (BIOS are still immature right now for anything crazy but good enough for fair OCs) you can achieve whatever speeds it's labelled as. Downside IF you have a below-average chip is that your potential OC is much lower than expected due to higher RAM clocks. I know for IV-E that the sweetspot for speed and stability is 2400MHz DDR3 @ 10-12-12-36-2T (manual timings) with a clockspeed @ 4.5GHz on 4930K 1.34vcore and a lot of adjustments in BIOS on the R4BE. Another factor is that the more RAM you have occupying those slots (especially higher densities), the more stress this places on the ICM which can knock back even JEDEC timings.

Do a your own survey: If you've checked for feedback in owners threads, note the RAM used, board, and CPU (copy down the batch number which helps find good bins and ask retailer before ordering). I'm still not convinced by H-E small gains and even the octocore is disappointing for me. Issues with IHS TIM from IB/H tick hasn't helped and best was SB tock. SkyLake tock is due 2H2015 and will be fabbed on 14/16nm. THAT is worth waiting for but the annoying thing is that PCI-E 4.0 is due 2016/17. Sometimes if you're not sure, stick with what you have, if what you have isn't good enough get something to get you by until your dream build. Sometimes you can wait forever and I'd not mind anyone treating themselves to a quad-channel CPU with 2/4 cores more than non Extreme!

That's my thoughts/experience based mainly on facts, since you'll spend a good chuck of time finding out a bit more. Feel free to add to this thread regarding Haswell E .... not another of your build ideas, make your own :P