Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kittens

I was thinking about getting a pair of 280Xs in Crossfire...

5 posts in this topic

Hi!! Thank you for your welcomes! :)

"I recently got three Dell U2414s for 5760x1080 surround"

I was thinking about getting a pair of 280Xs in Crossfire, I know it's a bit of a side-grade, but the extra 1GB of VRAM would certainly help me, and it'd be cheaper than a decent 290X or 780 Ti, too). Or reckon I should just hold out until next-gen? 

My cards choke at VRAM cap in games like Battlefield 4, Sleeping Dogs, etc. So I have to run them on Low settings and even then they stutter a lot. BF4 is just barely playable even on low... :/ (Doesn't help  that I have to run my cards at 8x native with only PCI 2.0 since I'm running a 2600K, or 8,16 with higher latency via the lane-doubler chip on my board).

I moved your post to a proper place in forums, you can change the topic name if you want.

BTW I copied the surround text for context.

Well, Moving from GTX 670 SLI to 280X CFX, is not a great option and I will tell you why:

1.     SLI is usually more stable than CFX
  2.     What you would do with yours GTX 670s? Selling them you should lose some money, just for a tiny upgrade
  3.     3GB of VRAM certainly is better than 2GB VRAM, but I believe that even 280X SLI using higher bus and memory bandwidth than GTX 670, in not enough for a smooth experience of BF4 @ 5760x1080!
  4.     The most suitable and cheaper option to play at that insane resolution, could be GTX 780 SLI or R9 290 CFX, anything below that will be insufficient and coming from 670 SLI, could be just a side-grade
  5.     2600K still a good CPU, but moving to such ultra-high-end GPU configuration, shouldn't be better to also upgrade the CPU, and Board?

It's up to you, but 280X CFX is not what you really want to play with 3 1080p monitors...

Hmm, good points. I plan to upgrade to Haswell-E (probably a 5930K) this year, to alleviate my PCIe bandwidth problems, I was really just considering the 280Xs as a 'stop-gap' solution so I could potentially play Battlefield 4 and the like at acceptable an frame rate. Well, I think I'll wait for the next-gen, then.

Just gotta hope they come out soon-ish..

Thanks for the advice, to be honest I had my doubts about the 280Xs, and having a second opinion clears that up for me :)

If you want to go to AMD, get a 290... later, upgrade that to Crossfire when money permits.

Next gen from Nvidia is on track for 2015.... no clue on AMD.

-Q

We won't even see much of GTX880 for a while yet so enjoy what games you have now and buy what GPU takes your fancy (EVGA ACX cooler is very good having tried it myself before blocking 780 TI Classified). As always check for in-depth reviews and try as many reviews as possible, check the enthusiast forums such as OCN or manufacturers own website.

If (big IF) talk is correct the GTX880 will be a slight performance increase, same for 300-series. Originally it was Q3-Q4 2014 and changed to 2015, then 2014 again, then put back mainly due to 20nm fab being a pain (too boring to get into and VC covered this anyway). The 780 Ti is overpriced and hasn't dropped since launch day apart from very limited store promos. Sure you could grab a couple but you'll hate yourself when that speed amounts to reduced quality settings or crashes when you run out of VRAM rather than grunt going into 2015 hence GTX780 6GB suggestion, and why I'm still on one 780 Ti. Google product code for my suggestion: 06G-P4-3787-KR.

Only reason to wait is if you are gaming at 4k