Shankovich

FirePro W9100 (with pics!)

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

As promised in my introduction, I wanted to show my FirePro W9100 off to you all when it arrived ;P. A little background on it, it was sent to me very generously by AMD for feedback. I'm a student in a university in Toronto in aerospace engineering and I began working with computational fluid dynamics last September (it's pure hell but enjoyable at the same time); I'll be using (after I learn) OpenCL to parallelise code. Any ways someone at AMD caught wind of my work and after a couple of e-mails, they decided to send me one! Really happy about it, and I'm especially excited to see how well it can game. On that note, some of you may recall the benchmarks done on Tom's a while back on the W series FirePro cards where they decided to try gaming on them for the fun of it, and it turned out they came very close to results of the chips the pro cards were based on; really it came down to drivers and the fact that the pro cards were clocked a bit lower in order to keep stability. Trust me, some CFD calculations can last hours...you don't want the card to hiccup on hour 4 of 7. 

Anyways, enough of that. Time for some pictures: 

Came directly from the shipping department, very well packaged!

3DSXL for size comparison. This card is big and heavy, using the full board size AMD has.

A nice, thick, heavy backplate to keep this monster straight and cool off those 16 GB memory chips. 

All those display ports, tasty.

So I'll be installing it either today or tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted on some CAD render times and, of course, I'll try out some games on it. 

Hm... this makes me wish I got the blue 3DSXL rather than the red one... /offtopic.

Quick post to say thanks for the photos and showing off the impressive FirePro W9100 with a HUGE 16GB framebuffer (let us know your memory utilisation and experiences with eyefinity) you're so lucky!

That much memory would be sweet for MSAA x8 at 4k/5k as Hardocp had problems running 295X2 CF and not being able to use MSAA x8 at 4k res with Crysis 3 because 4GB VRAM is too small for UHD  -_-

Haven't checked out any reviews (I'd say 8% behind 290X?) as this is a recently released GPU and is outside my interests but this should be interesting versus the 12GB K6000. On paper it looks amazing. Not so keen on the mini DP as they don't lock in the connector with the provided adaptor and that was annoying on my 5970BE, fullsized DP are ideal to avoid knocking it out but then you'd be reduced to 4 DP rather than 6 mini DP. CUDA (better support) or OpenCL...

ouksHkTm.jpg XYww1Td.png

The basic shroud reminds me of the Hawaii prototype in this refresh to Tahiti...

8oK7mekm.jpg

I know how hot GPUs can get under extended loads and why I blocked my PC, mainly the VRM as I run mine for hours on end transcoding 1080p videos overnight for my NAS or Folding a couple of days a weeks testing beta cores, overclocked with waterblocks really helps keep close to the big PPD (320k PPD) of 16C CPUs. Besides that, the main point you hit on was that it remains 100% stable with the stock cooler. After rambling a bit ;) with this cooler what are temperatures after prolonged runs?

It's a nice thing they gave you one. This shows how important OpenCL developers are important to AMD.

I'm wondering, will you ever be able to use all 6 display connectors? Always wanted to see one card powering 6 monitors.

EDIT Holy cow, this card costs $3500, more than a TITAN z ;)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/firepro-w9100-performance,3810.html

This card also has professional drivers, more RAM, more DP (Raw), more SP (Raw)... Although, if you plan to game it is worse than the Titan Z [EDIT]And costs more[/EDIT]... Not something that is said often XD

Apparently it can only do 30Hz with 6 displays and 60Hz with 3.

Indepth review from Toms. If we had anything other than a paper launch for the TitanZ, W9100 would lag behind for gaming otherwise its mostly ahead of the competition from K6000 costing £4k and old W9000 Tahiti. Highlight of SP and DP performance.

cFATC1z.png

Apparently it can only do 30Hz with 6 displays and 60Hz with 3.

Yes, if you are talking about ~2160p displays.

AMD has been able to do 60Hz(+?) since the 5000 series on 6 displays last I checked...

On the side note, that capability still whups its competition :) (NVidia is stuck on 2 ~2160p displays for both 30 and 60Hz)

-Q