Shankovich

Hello All!

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I've been frequenting the site for a while (I'm the same Shankovich from the comments sections in articles) so I thought I'd join the forums since the community here seems to be pretty thoughtful. That and I like the site a lot :P

Did my first build back when I got my 6600GT for $200 so I could play Battlefield 2 on medium settings hahaha. Huge Battlefield player and Nintendo fan (Biggest Metroid fan on the planet I'm sure). I also love Halo and I generally game on all platforms. My GPU allegiance is mainly to AMD since they tend to keep the prices down, however I'm not super bias towards them; I wanted the GTX 670 a while back but couldn't afford it, so I sprung on a HD 6870 that was on sale. 

I'm a Canadian aerospace engineering student and I work on CFD (computational fluid dynamics), so I've been getting more familiar with C and workstation cards this year (it'll be my thesis project next year also). Going to start reading on OpenCL as well soon. If anyone needs help in calculus or fluid mechanics just feel free to give me a shout! 

Also this month I'm getting a FirePro W9100 sent to me for feedback (another reason I'll need to learn OpenCL, it's the future of computing any ways) so I'll be sure to share pics with everyone when it comes in! 

Thanks and I look forward to being part of the community! 

Hi, Shankovich and welcome to the forums!

I'm glad that you like VideoCardz a lot ;)

Welcome to the forum Shankovich :)

Photos of any tech is welcomed here, not just GPUs so you know. Yeah I played BF2 back in the day too probably on my 6800 Ultra or 8800 GTS OC later on too and pretty much maxed the game, obviously you were more sensible paying far less than me lol. I also had a Nintendo 64 with the top titles back in the day, surprised at the games I didn't really get into. Also had a Sega Megadrive, Commadore 64, Amiga, PS1. After years of low tech and decent enough games I ditched all that and went PC exclusive - is that where you stand now or tart still with consoles?

Welcome... I am Quinn FitzGerald from the main site.

Welcome Shankovich!

You are going to be our first member with professional GPU.

I have not seen any review of W9100 yet, so it will be interesting to learn about it first hand.

I have not seen any review of W9100 yet, so it will be interesting to learn about it first hand.

Hopefully his experience is better than you experience with 290x...

-Q

Hi, Shankovich and welcome to the forums! have a nice stay ;)

Hello Shankovich and welcome to the VC forums. Hope you stay for long here..

Thanks for the warm greetings everyone! Sorry I'm a bit late, I started a new job 2 weeks ago unexpectedly so I've just been trying to get my time a bit reorganized (waking up at 5AM sucks).

Welcome to the forum Shankovich :)

Photos of any tech is welcomed here, not just GPUs so you know. Yeah I played BF2 back in the day too probably on my 6800 Ultra or 8800 GTS OC later on too and pretty much maxed the game, obviously you were more sensible paying far less than me lol. I also had a Nintendo 64 with the top titles back in the day, surprised at the games I didn't really get into. Also had a Sega Megadrive, Commadore 64, Amiga, PS1. After years of low tech and decent enough games I ditched all that and went PC exclusive - is that where you stand now or tart still with consoles?

I still game on consoles since a lot of my friends still do as well, that's the only reason really. Any single player games I get on PC, aside from Nitnendo ones which I'm really loyal to.