eth3rton

780Ti KPE Sli's vs. 850w PSU (temporarily - 1200w back-ordered)

7 posts in this topic

I just ordered my second 780Ti Kingpin (both will be water-cooled) and am currently using a BeQuiet! 850w platinum PSU. I ordered a 1200w BeQuiet! but it won't be available until mid-May sometime - back ordered. Question is, if I don't overclock the KPE's will my current PSU die? I am planning on selling it when the new one comes in to recoup some of this build. Thanks for any help!

Current Build:

• Corsair Air 540 Case
  • Intel Core i7-4770K (delidded)
  • Asus MAXIMUS VI GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N
  • BeQuiet! Dark Power 10 850w PSU
  • 16gb - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
  • Intel 525 Series Lincoln Crest mSATA 240GB SATA III
  • 2 - 1TB WD HDDs
  • LG Bluray drive
  • 2x Logisys True-Color CCFL Light Bars - 12" - TRUE RED
  • 3 x Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan
  • Laing DDC-pump 12V DDC-1T

Honestly I wouldn't use a lowly 850W for two mighty KPEs. Your PSU shouldn't cause any issues other than shut off when Power Tune peaks or amp/current provided by PSU isn't enough - use the standard 8-pin PCI-E power connectors and don't overclock or mod the BIOS or use LN2 mode to keep TDP within range of 250W, so if that fails use one KPE.

For one 780 TI KPE you need at minimum a 650W PSU with 45 amps on the 12V rail. For 780 Ti KPE SLI, ensure any new PSU can accommodate a total of four 8-pin PCI-E, and two 6-pin PCI-E connectors alongside your other power connectors. The rest of your system isn't anything to worry about, RAM/SSDs/fans/ODD use very little power, your pump and HDDs uses 5-12V and that's fine too.

Would the Corsair AX1200i run them both without issues?

If I were you I'd instead buy the 94% certified Corsair AX1500i, PR here. If you were I'd make sure your circuit breaker for your house has enough ampage, min 70A and each socket can manage about 20A each then only have the PC on that socket whether double socket or not. I'm not an electrical engineer and speak for the UK in this regard.

Anyway, the AX1200i has been known over on OCN to shut off with hard clocks/volts, check the Classified owners thread on OCN here if you wish to read into this a bit because I forgot the crucial info, sorry. Sure $450 is a lot but I'd grab one before the miners do and because on paper it looks amazing, keep it on your watchlist.

I will take a look at that AX1500i. Says Q2, that should be anytime now, right? Thanks for the info!

What I'm reading, it should hit shelves between now (prob June at this rate) or the end of the year (a January announcement for Q4 makes zero sense and gives your competitors plenty of time to respond). If you wanted to know more about the PSU or due date, there's no harm asking JohnnyGuru on his forum here. Browse the forum and check for similar setups but replies are very much hit n miss to their usefulness in who replies to you, it also helps to have some understanding of PSUs (for me I'd read a ton of reviews).

Don't forget to post back once you've decided on the PSU and unleash those KPE's :)

You might also consider using another brand corsair has been having a lot of issues with their psu's I've had to RMA 2 of mine. I now will only use seasonic 860 or 1000 platinum..