gclef101

Upgrading Graphics Card

6 posts in this topic

I am finally upgrading my graphics card and TV together to 4k. I am looking to get the R9 295x2 this month so I need some help understanding the best way to setup my card and TV. I want to get the best FPS and my question is about HDMI 2.0 versus 1.4. My old TV is a Samsung 52" 60hz LCD panel about 5 years old. My new TV will be in my living room between 60" and 70" in size and is 2014 model with HDMI 2.0. Does anyone know if HDMI 2.0 spec have anything to do with gaming FPS or is the 1.4 good enough because their no video card that has HDMI 2.0? I was thinking HDMI 2.0 has more to do with movies than the gaming. Thank you for any information that will help clear this up for me I appreciate it. I really want to get this new card from AMD R9 295x2 but it worries me that it does not have HDMI 2.0. 

In short this can quickly be answered from WhyCry's post: "R9 295X2 comes with a five display outputs: four mini-DisplayPorts and one DVI. Previous generations of dual-GPU Radeon cards had DVI-I output, while the 295X2 only offers DVI-D (digital only)."

Quick solution is to buy a monitor for a particular use. 4k are currently from $599 but TN backlight would require inspection before purchase, they use a wider variety of connection options typical of gaming monitors, the exception being no DL-DVI as 4k tops out at 60Hz. For a title that renders way above 60fps you will be wasting those frames on a 60Hz panel and should try to increase image quality as that appears to be your main focus. Up to 60fps is perfectly playable on a really fast panel like TN at 1ms GtG and quality isn't as bad as it used to be if you are lucky with low backlight bleeding. If you play a lot of shooters you are better off with a faster 120/144Hz 1440p panel that would also feature G-Sync.

My next concern would be the engine support for multiple GPUs, some are later patched in to support either/both CF/SLI or not at all (Thief from release didn't support more than one GPU until latest >AMD 14.3 beta drivers) with the 295X2 showing only 60% CF scaling (FS benchmark) - acceptable for most but for me I'd expect more and it appears that is their best example to date. If you spent a good amount on GPUs expecting high returns you're going to be disappointed how poorly games are doing unless you've already checked the typical review sites like HardOCP, AnandTech for realistic possibilities on your system. Please don't think I'm telling you what you should do, simply choose the best card for the games in question rather than buying the next fastest single graphics card. Any further queries fire them off, there's a vast wealth of knowledge on this forum :)

The fundamentals of 4k and HDMI 2.0 (60Hz) are made for each other and competes with the current DP 1.2 standard. The next version, DP 1.3, is due this summer and is designed for up to 8k normal viewing and 3D viewing maxes out at 4k at 30Hz. The same frequency applies as well to HDMI 1.4, this too is limited to 30Hz unless you utilise the mini-DP port otherwise gaming at this low refresh rate is going to be uncomfortable for gaming. Although I don't have a 3D TV or 4k myself I do have a 3D BD player and I use custom made HDMI 1.4a cables (any cable should be fine and is hotly debated by everyone with an opinion). The naming in the devices simply adds additional bandwidth rather than features, the features are added (once certified for a set res/freq) if there is enough bandwidth to support it as a new standard that is governed by the HDMI Forum.

Thank you so much for your reply and help. So to help clear up my situation I will be going from mini displayport to HDMI on my 4k tv. The adapters that I can find out there are ones that go from DP 1.2 to HDMI 1.4. Will this hurt my FPS in gaming on my new 4k TV with HDMI 2.0? Thank you for your help!

HDMI 2.0 cards are nowhere around, so you basically have no choice if we are only talking about 295X2.

After checking few sites for specs, I don't think it is possible to get more than 30Hz 4k with both miniDisplayPort and DVI-D outputs via adapters.

Among several refinements to improve interoperability, the updated standard enables a higher data rate for DisplayPort-to-HDMI cable adaptors, providing support for HDMI 1.4 display resolutions such as 1080p 3D at 60Hz, and Ultra HD (4K x 2K) up to 30Hz frame rate, as well as 1080p with deep color.

http://www.displayport.org/pr/vesa-introduces-updated-dual-mode-standard-for-higher-resolution-interoperability-with-hdmi-displays/

And DVID is HDMI 2.0 compatible, only it won't deliver more than 30Hz.

WQUXGA (3,840 × 2,400) @ 33 Hz with GTF blanking (2 × 159 MHz)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvi

Your best option is to buy a TV with native displayport. AMD cards support 60Hz with an Eyefinity group trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T7pdrOipuI