KidMax

I want to buy the Titan, but should I wait for maxwell?

16 posts in this topic

I do want to buy a titan, but my question is, would this be a good buy right now with maxwell right around the corner?  How long am I looking to wait to buy, let's say an 880 Ti Maxwell?  Am I really looking at a huge increase in performance over a 780 Ti Titan.  Also should I just buy a 790 and say screw maxwell altogether and skip it until the next chipset comes out.  I want to game on the new ROG Asus 27" 1440p monitor coming out and I think the 790 or 780 Ti Titan Black should suffice for plenty of time.

Current Specs:

CPU: 4770k
GPU: Amd 7970 Ghz
PSU: Corsair HX650
Mem: Samsung Wonder Memory 2x4Gb

Mobo: M87 Gaming Motherboard

Hi KidMax first of all you should introduce yourself to the community here.

I suppose the Titan you're talking about is the newest Titan Black, and IMO it doesn't worth for the price, as GTX 780Ti is cheaper and feature almost same specs that are needed for gaming purpose.

880Ti Maxwell should appear only at Q4 2014, and it's too soon to predict more than that.

Even GTX 790 was not yet released, but for sure it will provide more than enough performance at 1440p for several years.

As Skr said you should introduce yourself.

You didn't state the important point of what your intended use is or the titles you play to help point you in the right direction, looks like mainly gaming according to your specs. A 1440p monitor isn't taxing the GTX 780 Ti 3GB for either bandwidth or memory. Btw there is no 780 Ti Titan, I'm assuming you are referring to the Titan Black 6GB due the 18th February.

You seem to be in two minds, you wanted 'huge' increase in performance - again I assume your definition is double the performance - but you are considering GTX 790 which will come with compromises as is typical with dual-GPUs and there is no release date. They don't offer the same performance vs an SLI setup that will help push overclocking further as I can testify with titles receiving very late SLI profiles or the game not supporting it at all. GTX 790: when more info comes to light is worthy of consideration for compact cases or lack of PCI Express slots.

If you can be very patient and wait until the end of 2014 for Maxwell it may be worth the wait. I'm not and would buy the best option from what's available right now, a case of reading every review out there, down to you.

there is a simple rule to follow, if you plan to keep the GPU for the next 2 or so years, and plan on playing newer games at 1600p+ the Titan Black might be worth it.

Otherwise the 780ti is the card to get.

Well, if you want to do CUDA stuff the Titan is the obvious choice also :)

testbug his monitor is 1440, to use BF4 it uses less than 3GB. To quote HardOCP: "Speaking of memory configurations, in most cases, cards with 3GB of memory or more would usually see a video memory usage of about 2.25GB at any given time while gaming. However, for cards with less than 3GB, we typically observed about 1.75GB of memory being used."

Titan Black worth it for those looking to use the compute capability when increase in productivity requires it, or to use that word again, pro-sumer. Remember with 6GB VRAM it will run a bit slower than 3GB, this is a fact from the pro benchmarkers or keen enthusiast and enough for them to flash the BIOS to half the amount available. Chucking cash at a problem won't solve your dilemma, researching your best options will point you in the right direction. If your comfortable with watercooling, buy a 780 Ti Classified and block it.

Btw, his wonder RAM is Samsung Greens, I have two 16GB kits and they are very impressive even without a heatsink at all, really low profile. Think I only paid £60 for 16GB before the memory rises reached £140.

First off, sorry for not posting in the introduction first, I was in a hurry earlier and didn't even see the introduction area.

testbug his monitor is 1440, to use BF4 it uses less than 3GB. To quote HardOCP: "Speaking of memory configurations, in most cases, cards with 3GB of memory or more would usually see a video memory usage of about 2.25GB at any given time while gaming. However, for cards with less than 3GB, we typically observed about 1.75GB of memory being used."

Titan Black worth it for those looking to use the compute capability when increase in productivity requires it, or to use that word again, pro-sumer. Remember with 6GB VRAM it will run a bit slower than 3GB, this is a fact from the pro benchmarkers or keen enthusiast and enough for them to flash the BIOS to half the amount available. Chucking cash at a problem won't solve your dilemma, researching your best options will point you in the right direction. If your comfortable with watercooling, buy a 780 Ti Classified and block it.

Btw, his wonder RAM is Samsung Greens, I have two 16GB kits and they are very impressive even without a heatsink at all, really low profile. Think I only paid £60 for 16GB before the memory rises reached £140.

Awesome! So I should go ahead and stick with a 780 Ti, now you say I should go with a 780 Ti Classified, why do you choose this one over like a MSI Gaming 780 Ti?  Custom PCB board? It's like a 900$ card on there website, wouldn't a 790 be a lot better and only be like 100$ more? haha.

Yes the wonder RAM's are amazing and I have a buddy of mine who professionally benchmarks and his the one who told me about them when they first came out, I bought 4 packages of them, kept 2 to myself and sold the others for like 150$ haha.

No worries KidMax, always nice though to introduce yourself to the community :)

First issue according to the images you posted (if unchanged) is that your MSI Z87 board requires your GPU to be installed in PCIE_2 first which is your first X16 slot after the smaller PCIE X1 slot for your soundcard. GPU-Z should tell you what mode it is running it if in doubt after running the quick test where the question mark is, read where it says Bus Interface. Optimal mode for you would read PCI-E 3.0 x16 @x16 3.0. I suspect as its set up currently it would read PCI-E 3.0 x16 @x8 3.0.

SND2MED.png

Change it around and install GPU into PCI_E2 and then install soundcard into PCI_E6, it won't reduce the bandwidth of your GPU as it remains unaffected with X1 PCI Express slots.

780 Ti Classy depends on your case because with it being a custom PCB it would be 5 inches with a block on to the case door and 11 inches in length, check the dimensions to make sure it fits in your case,. If you are wanting a simple 780 TI without blocking it then the EVGA 780 TI SC ACX is a very good option for performance and cooling, normally discounted too. Here in the UK I've seen it widely drop to £510 before rising after running low on stock back to £600. It's a reference PCB meaning it only features two 8 and 6-pins, length of 10.5 inches (unsure of width) but as with Classy at least the cooler is only 2-slot design.

The Classified is great for overclocking with wide support, dual BIOS can be vital when a flash goes wrong although I've posted a >guide on this in my build log which enables some amazing clocks although these are lower ASIC binned for water whereas SC is higher for air. Pretty much all the custom 780 Ti's overclock really well on the SKHynix memory to at least 1850MHz but the GPU requires 1.2mV to get any decent clocks and why I mentioned the Classified which flashes up to 1.5mV and an optional power target of 300W/600W/900W but I've been cautious on air and left mine at 122% in PrecisionX. If you are sticking with your PSU, 650W isn't enough and I would choose another manufacturer such as Seasonic, Leadex, or EVGA. Ideally you'd want 1000W Platinum or Titanium which is 94% efficient, if you went with alternative option in the MSI 780 TI Gaming I'd recommend 850W but by then it's not much more for 1000W. That GPU will pull 285W alone stock clocks/volts. EVGA's ACX cooler is superior to MSI's TwinFrozr cooler with 8% lower temperatures. Not sure about MSI's warranty if you wanted to remove the cooler and block it, something you'd have to find out.

You seem to have you heart set on the 790, however if the games you play only supports a single GPU then your getting 780 or 290 performance rather than 780 TI performance of a single GPU. A dual GPU is going to offer a ton of performance, if we look at the 690 it's 10% faster on average than a custom 780 Ti. If GK110 Kepler refresh repeats the energy efficiencies of 690 the temps would be 1C lower than 780 Ti reference design and noise levels would be a couple of dBA lower too. Someone on the forum has a 690 if he wants to vouch for dual-GPUs.

No worries KidMax, always nice though to introduce yourself to the community :)

First issue according to the images you posted (if unchanged) is that your MSI Z87 board requires your GPU to be installed in PCIE_2 first which is your first X16 slot after the smaller PCIE X1 slot for your soundcard. GPU-Z should tell you what mode it is running it if in doubt after running the quick test where the question mark is, read where it says Bus Interface. Optimal mode for you would read PCI-E 3.0 x16 @x16 3.0. I suspect as its set up currently it would read PCI-E 3.0 x16 @x8 3.0.

SND2MED.png

Change it around and install GPU into PCI_E2 and then install soundcard into PCI_E6, it won't reduce the bandwidth of your GPU as it remains unaffected with X1 PCI Express slots.

780 Ti Classy depends on your case because with it being a custom PCB it would be 5 inches with a block on to the case door and 11 inches in length, check the dimensions to make sure it fits in your case,. If you are wanting a simple 780 TI without blocking it then the EVGA 780 TI SC ACX is a very good option for performance and cooling, normally discounted too. Here in the UK I've seen it widely drop to £510 before rising after running low on stock back to £600. It's a reference PCB meaning it only features two 8 and 6-pins, length of 10.5 inches (unsure of width) but as with Classy at least the cooler is only 2-slot design.

The Classified is great for overclocking with wide support, dual BIOS can be vital when a flash goes wrong although I've posted a >guide on this in my build log which enables some amazing clocks although these are lower ASIC binned for water whereas SC is higher for air. Pretty much all the custom 780 Ti's overclock really well on the SKHynix memory to at least 1850MHz but the GPU requires 1.2mV to get any decent clocks and why I mentioned the Classified which flashes up to 1.5mV and an optional power target of 300W/600W/900W but I've been cautious on air and left mine at 122% in PrecisionX. If you are sticking with your PSU, 650W isn't enough and I would choose another manufacturer such as Seasonic, Leadex, or EVGA. Ideally you'd want 1000W Platinum or Titanium which is 94% efficient, if you went with alternative option in the MSI 780 TI Gaming I'd recommend 850W but by then it's not much more for 1000W. That GPU will pull 285W alone stock clocks/volts. EVGA's ACX cooler is superior to MSI's TwinFrozr cooler with 8% lower temperatures. Not sure about MSI's warranty if you wanted to remove the cooler and block it, something you'd have to find out.

You seem to have you heart set on the 790, however if the games you play only supports a single GPU then your getting 780 or 290 performance rather than 780 TI performance of a single GPU. A dual GPU is going to offer a ton of performance, if we look at the 690 it's 10% faster on average than a custom 780 Ti. If GK110 Kepler refresh repeats the energy efficiencies of 690 the temps would be 1C lower than 780 Ti reference design and noise levels would be a couple of dBA lower too. Someone on the forum has a 690 if he wants to vouch for dual-GPUs.

Omg, amazing, thank you so much! I do have gpu-z installed however I never even thought to look at that! 

About the 780 Ti vs 790, yeah I do play some low-end games like cs:S from time to time, but I love to play high end ones like BF4 and a few others like skyrim modded out and crysis of course.  I guess in the long run I really dont see why I just dont grab a 780 Ti, and my upgraded power supply will for sure be a Seasonic 850 or 1000, I've heard a lot about them!  I will look around for some good deals on the 780 Ti Classified, do you suggest the kingpin model by chance?   read a lot about them but could just be overhype.

Np! KPE doesn't offer anything more than a Classified even on water and Samsung memory is worse for gaming due to GPU being the key for breaking benchmark records and not the memory. Read a ton of pages about the KPE and normal Classified from enthusiast owners on OCN which EVGA have a keen interest on,

So this is the one to get then Smith?  I'm trying to achieve 2560x1440p 120Hz as well, do you recommend using an HDMI, Display port, or DVI connection?

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Dual-Link-Graphics-03G-P4-2888-KR/dp/B00H9ZRCBO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392649330&sr=8-1&keywords=780+Ti+classified

Edit::: Wow reading into the dual bios setup, that is awesome to have on hand in case something goes wrong, I think I will pull the trigger on 2 of these soon.

My BenQ monitor is capable of 144Hz at 1080p via dual link DVI and for you at 120Hz (no higher frequency for 1440p) is perfectly fine and even for DP 1.2. The future though is for motherboards to support Thunderbolt which won't happen until Broadwell in 2015. Worth reading this if you like to keep up to date with panels, I have a passing interest: Asus thinks we're insignificant

Although it's good to check stores for prices you shouldn't rely on them for specs because a lot of them get it wrong (check against manufacturers website) and I hate it when stores go overboard with PR. Check out the enthusiast sites like VC and OCN and spread your researching to say 20+ general sites. This will see if you've checked the Classified out properly, you do know that 'some' ACX fans can be noisy. Mine isn't affected btw. Can happen at idle or beyond 70% fan speed. Normally applying the right nail polish will solve it.

Also, on that board I wouldn't buy two because it would only run in PCIe 3.0 x8/x8 config. Buy one for now and see how you get on or ask WhyCry because he's got a 1440p display and a 780 Ti. For a couple Classifieds you'd need a 1200W Platinum PSU, for one 1000W Platinum is plenty. I still think one is enough otherwise to get the most out Classifieds you'd need to overhaul your system towards a 4930K and a board with a PLX chip to offer plenty of lanes at native speeds in order to keep it balanced, it also features a superior IMC, and with quad channel your not limited by RAM speeds. LGA2011 is very expensive and the platform of choice for ultra enthusiasts. It's limited to only two SATA III ports, sure has a bunch of SATA II ports, sadly has no mSATA which I'd love on mine. Haswell has better options, maybe all you need than overhauling your system for SLI is a new board to give x16/x16 and PSU to power it. I said X79 boards because they are priced the same as Z87.

My BenQ monitor is capable of 144Hz at 1080p via dual link DVI and for you at 120Hz (no higher frequency for 1440p) is perfectly fine and even for DP 1.2. The future though is for motherboards to support Thunderbolt which won't happen until Broadwell in 2015. Worth reading this if you like to keep up to date with panels, I have a passing interest: Asus thinks we're insignificant

Although it's good to check stores for prices you shouldn't rely on them for specs because a lot of them get it wrong (check against manufacturers website) and I hate it when stores go overboard with PR. Check out the enthusiast sites like VC and OCN and spread your researching to say 20+ general sites. This will see if you've checked the Classified out properly, you do know that 'some' ACX fans can be noisy. Mine isn't affected btw. Can happen at idle or beyond 70% fan speed. Normally applying the right nail polish will solve it.

Also, on that board I wouldn't buy two because it would only run in PCIe 3.0 x8/x8 config. Buy one for now and see how you get on or ask WhyCry because he's got a 1440p display and a 780 Ti. For a couple Classifieds you'd need a 1200W Platinum PSU, for one 1000W Platinum is plenty. I still think one is enough otherwise to get the most out Classifieds you'd need to overhaul your system towards a 4930K and a board with a PLX chip to offer plenty of lanes at native speeds in order to keep it balanced, it also features a superior IMC, and with quad channel your not limited by RAM speeds. LGA2011 is very expensive and the platform of choice for ultra enthusiasts. It's limited to only two SATA III ports, sure has a bunch of SATA II ports, sadly has no mSATA which I'd love on mine. Haswell has better options, maybe all you need than overhauling your system for SLI is a new board to give x16/x16 and PSU to power it. I said X79 boards because they are priced the same as Z87

Ok I'll grab a display port when I buy the new monitor as well, thanks for the info, and I'll grab a classified Ti with a Seasonic PW for now, hopefully this Classified comes in within the next month or 2 haha, looks like amazon's order time is 1-2 Months!

I would have to agree the 780 ti classy is the way to go unless you're only going for 1 vga only  then I would go for the 790, much faster than a single ti classy but you add a second classy now you really can't compare the two.

I like to bench and in my current rig I have 1 690 so i'm very limited in what I can do. My new rig has 2 ti classy later I'll add a third. I guess it's all on what you like to do with your rig.    

I would have to agree the 780 ti classy is the way to go unless you're only going for 1 vga only  then I would go for the 790, much faster than a single ti classy but you add a second classy now you really can't compare the two.

I like to bench and in my current rig I have 1 690 so i'm very limited in what I can do. My new rig has 2 ti classy later I'll add a third. I guess it's all on what you like to do with your rig.    

The 790 you say?

;)

Just ordered my 780 Ti Classified! Thanks for your help guys =)!