SMiThaYe

Corsair
Corsair Hydro H105 240mm Extreme Performance CPU Cooler

9 posts in this topic

Corsair Hydro H105 240mm Extreme Performance CPU Cooler (CW-9060016-WW)

Official website

Placing this here because many may consider this convenient self-contained cooler than the expense of making your own watercooling loop. It should fit most cases that have options for for two 120mm fans. If you have room for two 140mm fans I suggest you check out H110i Performance or await independent reviews in the coming weeks. Generally speaking I know that 120mm fans are best for radiators with the right fans, and you can buy adaptors to maximise the airflow to use 120mm fans on 140mm radiators. Back on topic ...

KuE5MCem.jpg

Compatibility List

Intel LGA 1150, 1155, 1156, 1366, and 2011
AMD sockets FM1, FM2, AM2, and AM3

H105 Extreme retails for a reasonable $120 or £94, includes the usual red, gray and blue accent rings for the heatsink cover with a much easier tool-free mounting bracket with thumb screws when compared to the H110 Performance. The H110i Performance was easier to install than the H110 Performance due to the mounting bracket. H105 Extreme has neater fan cables and fans are PWM controlled just like the H110i Performance but unlike the H110 Performance.

Increase in cooling comes from the demand for a thicker radiator. Downside is the noise as 37.7dB is going to be audible at 2700 RPM and why I suggest you limit this to no more than 2000RPM in the BIOS. Assuming this still the case, Corsair tell you to install the fans on the top to pull air through the case for the best cooling performance. Make sure your case can manage this extra heat and your rear exhaust fan is up to the job.

These are all the mounting accessories:

YFoEiVCm.png

Radiator Dimensions:           270mm x 120mm x 38mm (WxHxD)

Fan Dimensions:                120mm x 25mm

Fan Speed:                     800 - 2700 +/- 10% RPM (PWM) fan speeds can be set in BIOS

Air Flow:                      73 CFM maximum

Static Pressure:               3.9 mm-H2O (high static pressure fans)

Noise Level:                   37.7 dB(A) maximum

Material:                      Aluminium / Copper

Warranty:                      5-year limited warranty

looks really nice thanks for the post ..

I never used any water cooling so far and always wondered about the noise level. I am rather interested in a silent system than in overclocking.
Currently my i5-3770K@3.8GHz is cooled by a DarkRock2 Pro, which is absolutely silent. The drawback is its size, though. Because of it's height I can not install a fan on the side of my case, thus my GPU fans get quite noisy under load.

So my idea is to replace the DarkRock by some watercooling and add an additional 200mm fan to the side of my case to improve the overall airflow in the case. Maybe you can tell mey if this sounds like a good idea or like bullshit ^^

BTW, my case is a Level10 GTS (http://www.thermaltake.de/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001861) and the DarkRock blows the air to the back, not the top. So far I have no other case fans installed than the two standard ones (front and back).

I have the corsair h80i on another rig I have and the stock fans are a little on the loud side but that's only when I oc..

Quick reply...

Probably cheaper to buy a new case than a small micro ATX as case cooling on Level 10 GTS is very average.
The Corsair H80i is alright but if you can get a H110i that doesn't have coil whine that's another idea but dual rad comes back to the issue of airflow and lack of space and doesn't solve the issue regarding your GPU.

Adding an exhaust fan on the side to an already average case won't make much difference. You want the DarkRock2 Pro to push the heat towards the rear of the case and assisted by an exhaust fan.

You mention the loud fans on the GPUs which suggests the case has big airflow problems (or simply a poor cooler), have you correctly cablemanaged and moved any obstructions? Some photos would help understand the layout and so would temps at idle and load (gaming). Use Core temp/Real temp for CPU and GPU-Z for your graphics card. Ideally I'd want to know a ton of other temps, AIDA64 has this but its not free. I can work with basic temps info than nothing.

When I say my GPU is loud under load, I just mean I can hear it even two meters away. It's the Gigabyte GTX 660ti OC, thus it has two fans. The GPU temps reach ~80°C under full load. The DarkRock is installed the way you mentioned - moving the air from front to back and assisted by an exhaust fan. I think the problem with the air flow in the case is the input of cool air. there is only the front fan to blow cool air inside, but this air has to pass the HDDs first. And I fear the GPU coolers only move air around within the case. Thats why I think of installing an additional side fan to press fresh air directly ontu the GPU. But as long as there is a Rock on my CPU there is no space left of a side fan :(

I will give you some images and temperatures in the next days. I think I will start a new thread for my case since it is not related to the H105 directly.

Thank you guys in advance for the help :)

Thanks for the additional info.
I've a similar setup in my Folding PC using a 300D, 3570K@4.8GHz on a large Phanteks cooler and MSI 660 TI PE. The only fans I can hear is the CPU and GPU, both are audible (not too noisy) within 5 feet as they are running 24/7 and don't utilise fan profiles that would make sense anyway for such a setup. CPU temps are 66C (not delidded) and GPU is 72C on factory fan profile, yours at 80C is within Nvidia spec but for me I'd want it down below 74C.

You mention HDD being an issue, HDD temps should normally be no more than 40C, they work in a normal room environment of 33C and around that figure should be your aim unless your ambient temps are normally high? The front fan should evenly cover the storage area and have enough space to cool and then pass through over/under the cage then through the rest of the chassis but with a good case you can work around that. That's not to mention the fan specs, stock case fans are rubbish but better than nothing to get your going. I'm using Corsair Quiet Series SP fans as inlet and exhuast with the roof vents open but I did intend on blocking it off to minise noise leakage and control the airflow because nothing goes upwards in a compact case with typical cooling.

Start a new thread and when you get photos and temps results up I'll help as best :)