abvolt

GTX 790

4 posts in this topic

I've read about the gtx 790 on many different boards what with 10 GB of memory  640 bit & 4992 cuda cores sound to me like this card will be a real monster, Any of you have thoughts about this vga ?

And what about maxwell I would have thought for sure that the 790 would have maxwell guess not.

GTX 790 won't have Maxwell GPU.

The rumor about 4992 CUDA cores came from me. This is nothing verified, but this is all I have about it, even now. Of course I'm trying to confirm the specs, but is it currently scheduled for February, so many things can change. Keep an eye on VC main site, if I have something I can share it will be posted.

Speaking of dual-gpu cards, I read somewhere that Mantle will be able to utilize the whole frame buffer of each card in such configuration, not like SLI does with all the games, where only half of it is used (eg. not 4GB on 690 but 2). If that's true then I highly doubt 790 makes sense now.

I appreciate the info thanks man. So 1 question if they make a 790 and it does have 10gb of vram but it only uses 5gb why is it they install 10 on the card, I don't really understand that sorry if its a dumb question.

Speaking of dual-gpu cards, I read somewhere that Mantle will be able to utilize the whole frame buffer of each card in such configuration, not like SLI does with all the games, where only half of it is used (eg. not 4GB on 690 but 2). If that's true then I highly doubt 790 makes sense now.

While Mantle would let you do this (have a GPU use the 2nd GPUs memory) it would be a pretty silly idea in most cases.  As a matter of fact, any GPUs in a Crossfire should be able to read each others memory, although, unless you have XDMA (Whatever they call the CFX connector in 290/290x) it probably doesn't ever make sense.  Even with the XDMA it doesn't make much sense.

I doubt any developers will do anything with that, it just is extra work for no real payoff.

the big thing that Mantle fixes is that you can split up the work between GPUs in the exact manner you want to, and, theoretically, make AFR work as close to perfectly as possible...

And also, where letting other things touch GPU memory, well, letting CPU access the GPU memory lets you do crazy things.

Now, on topic...

No reason for Nvidia to release a dual GK110 card.  AMD won't be able to sanely release a dual Hawaii card, and SLI GK110 cards probably perform noticeably better than a dualGPU card does.  dual 780 probably would beat the card you 4992 core (aka 2496 cores per GPU) by a noticiable margin, while consuming close to the same amount of power.

-Q