SMiThaYe

MSI Afterburner
MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 Beta 18 (RTSS 6.0.0)

4 posts in this topic

6obFLWL.png
Graphics cards performance booster
Released: 2nd January 2014

This update features a number of AMD improvements and RTSS now includes exclusive 64-bit OSD, RAM buffer, improved H264, DX11.2 OSD and APEX support . Regular Afterburner and SE are now merged, more efficient low driver level access for AMD Bonaire, Curacao and Hawaii GPUs, Overdrive 6 access to support future AMD GPUs, three selectable voltage control modes added.

kKnYXgU.png

txAXE73t.png

MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 Beta 18 improvements:
  • Added low-level I2C access driver for AMD Bonaire, Curacao and Hawaii graphics processors. Low-level I2C access driver provides much faster access to I2C bus than ineffective native AMD ADL I2C access interface and addresses issues with GPU clock throttling when enabling voltage monitoring on AMD RADEON R9 290 series graphics cards
  • Improved AMD ADL access layer with Overdrive 6 support to provide compatibility with future AMD GPUs
  • Regular and SE versions of MSI Afterburner are now merged into single installer
  • Added voltage control mode selection option to the “Compatibility properties” section in “General” tab. Now you can toggle between reference design, standard MSI and extended MSI voltage control modes
  • Added “boost edition” / ”GHz edition” GPU type selection option for reference design AMD RADEON 7970 and AMD RADEON 7950 based graphics cards to “AMD compatibility properties” section in “General” tab
  • Added GPU usage averaging algorithm for Overdrive 6 capable AMD GPUs. Now displayed GPU usage is being averaged by sliding window to smooth GPU usage artifacts occurring due to bug in AMD ADL API on AMD Sea Islands GPU family
  • Added optional unified GPU usage monitoring path via D3DKMT performance counters. Power users may enable it via configuration file as a workaround to replace native vendor’s GPU usage monitoring if it is working improperly (e.g. broken GPU usage monitoring in AMD ADL API for AMD Sea Islands GPU family)
  • Added “Use dedicated encoder server” option to “Videocapture” tab

RivaTuner Statistics Server 6.0.0 improvements:

• Added 64-bit applications support service. The service is optional and can be disabled in compatibility properties of RivaTuner Statistics Server if necessary. Please take a note that 64-bit applications support service development is exclusively sponsored by MSI, so due to licensing 64-bit On-Screen Display functionality is exclusively available in MSI Afterburner client application only. Please refer to “Known issues” section to see the list of additional 64-bit functionality related limitations
  • Improved dedicated encoder server service:
    - Now the service is optional and can be disabled in compatibility properties of RivaTuner Statistics Server if necessary|
    - Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the encoder server service are available and you can select preferred one in compatibility properties of RivaTuner Statistics Server
    - The service is no longer specific to external encoding plugins. Now dedicated encoding server can be used in any encoding scenario including but not limited to built-in encoding modes (uncompressed, MJPG and RTV1) or VFW encoding mode
    - Dedicated encoder server usage seriously extends the possibilities of pre-recording to RAM due to performing encoding in separate address space. Now you can use up to 2GB of RAM for pre-record buffer when using 32-bit encoder server and >2GB of RAM for pre-record buffer when using 64-bit encoder server
  • Improved Intel QuickSync H.264 encoder plugin:
    - Dedicated encoder service usage option has been removed from the plugin GUI, now it is available as independent option directly in video capture client application GUI
  • Added raster 3D On-Screen Display rendering mode support for DirectX 11.2 applications
  • Fixed issue causing wrong legacy index to be written to AVI files when recording multiple videos during single pre-recording session
  • Fixed framerate calculation for Direct3D9 applications using multiple swap chains (e.g. Outlast)
  • Added On-Screen Display support for Direct3D11 applications using mixed Direct3D10/Direct3D11 rendering (e.g. Call of Duty: Ghosts with NVIDIA APEX libraries)
  • Updated PNG compression library
  • Added French localization
  • Updated profiles list

A few notes of configuring Intel QuickSync encoding in MSI Afterburner
Note that QuickSync runs in software emulation mode and if you encounter any problems, lower the quality/framerate to avoid it running out of memory
First, ensure that your hardware supports QuickSync Video technology. The following hardware is required:

• Intel CPU with QuickSync Video technology support (SandyBridge, Ivy Bridge or Hawell core). You may use this link into to see if your Intel CPU supports this technology.
  • Mainboard with integrated Intel HD graphics support (refer to your mainboard specs to see it)
  • To use QuickSync on such platform you must:
  • Enable Intel HD graphics in your mainboard BIOS. If it is enabled correctly, you must see Intel HD graphics active in your device manager next you your discrete AMD/NVIDIA graphics card
  • Install the latest Intel HD graphics driver. QuickSync works via Intel HD driver so using outdated driver may degrade encoding performance drastically
  • There are 3 QuickSync acceleration modes available in MSI Afterburner:
  • Disabled acceleration - uses CPU software emulation. It is left for performance testing/debugging only and it REQUIRES additional Intel Media SDK installation. It is not recommended to use this mode.
  • Direct3D9 acceleration - uses Direct3D9Ex accelerated encoding. This mode is only available under Windows Vista and newer OS. This mode REQUIRES connecting monitor to Intel HD graphics output or forcing monitor detection for Intel HD graphics. Detailed instructions on forcing monitor detection for enabling QuickSync can be found here.
  • Direct3D11 acceleration - uses Direct3D11.1 accelerated encoding. This mode is only available under Windows 8 and newer OS. This mode doesn't require any monitor detection tricks so it is strongly recommended to use it if it is available (i.e. if you're under Windows 8).

To verify that everything is set up properly just hit the <Benchmark> button. It will try to encode some short video in your current desktop resolution and show you the results. If you system is not configured properly, benchmark won't start.

PRIMARY

FAST MIRROR

Thanks for the update Smith, and this time the print is with your newest card :)

BTW, the 150% power limit, helps OC a bit or not? I remember with GTX 670 didn't help nothing...

Overclock with EVGA PrecisionX currently :)  Actually set it power limit to 145%, ignore the screenshot and check my build log for more on the 780 TI. When you are overclocking the GPU you need 1.20mV and 145% power limit for 1250MHz+ otherwise it fails due to lack of stability and reverts to default clocks - all without even crashing the game :D Max power limit is 200% but once you reach 150% it comes down to how solid you're PSU is and good cooling.

My clocks don't show up in MSI Afterburner because of the modded BIOS I am using and the voltages/power limit is set to work with Precision X and also use Classified tool for GPU+memory voltages. I switching from one to the other for stability when overclocking. Another advantages with Precision X is that I can quickly test artifacts, stability and temperatures unlike Afterburner. MSI need to work on releasing a similar application to make it worth us Classified and KPE owners keeping Afterburner. EVGA is for extreme overclockers and MSI for gamers with moderate overclocks and reasonable temperatures. RTSS is far better though with Afterburner.