SMiThaYe

Steam Machines
Steam Machines Details: All Discussions Here

12 posts in this topic

hG4SP66.jpg

Valve have posted more details about their prototype Steam Machines and unique game controller which you may or may not like.

Because of the relatively high-spec hardware from Intel and Nvidia on offer, Valve have tasked several companies with the ability to fulfil orders should demand quickly rise. I believe there is the appetite for such a machine but it's not going to be cheap if you want the best experience. Because its a prototype the specs have not been finalised and only through beta testing of SteamOS will they settle on selected components, apparently with performance the number one focus. It's fully upgradeable - which avoid any Microsoft 360 embarrassments - so long as it fits into the compact custom case.

Quote: "Valve didn't set out to create our own prototype hardware just for the sake of going it alone - we wanted to accomplish some specific design goals that in the past others weren't yet tackling. One of them was to combine high-end power with a living-room-friendly form factor. Another was to help us test living-room scenarios on a box that's as open as possible."

The first 300 prototype units will feature the following:

CPU
Intel i7-4770 (LGA1150 22nm Haswell non-K overclock 4C/8T @3.4GHz, 3.9GHz Turbo)
Intel i5-4570 (LGA1150 22nm Haswell 4C/4T @3.2GHz, 3.6GHz Turbo)
Intel i3 (not listed but either 4340 @3.6GHz, or 4330 3.5GHz, or 4130 3.4GHz)

GPU
Nvidia GTX Titan 6GB GDDR5 (base: 837MHz boost: 876MHz, memory: 6008MHz Cuda: 2688)

Nvidia GTX 780 3GB GDDR5 (base: 863MHz boost: 902MHz, memory: 6008MHz Cuda: 2304)

Nvidia GTX 760 3GB GDDR5 (base: 980MHz boost: 1033MHz, memory: 6008MHz Cuda: 1152)

Nvidia GTX 660 3GB GDDR5 (base: 980MHz boost: 1033MHz, memory: 6008MHz Cuda: 960)

RAM

16GB DDR 1600MHz

All GPUs custom-3GB GDDR5

STORAGE

1TB+8GB Hybrid SSHD

PSU

450w 80+ Gold

It's odd there's only a 450W PSU, if you pick the Titan this requires 600W for the entire system. Normally I'd be against Hybrid storage due to poor performance but space must be at a premium to fit a HDD and SSD as a cache drive. As for usable storage space 1TB equals 931GB once formatted, take into account the SteamOS and any hidden partitions you could be down to 850GB - plenty of space for your favourite games. For the best experience I'd opt for the 8-threaded 4770 to ensure smooth gameplay with high ingame settings with a 780, how about custom-loop for complete piece and quiet. If the option of picking AMD comes along the 280/280X would be a very popular choice for $299 but to use TrueAudio you could consider 290/290X. For other GPUs; simply make sure the GPU has 3GB GDDR5 and you're good to go.

source #1 | #2

Most ironic, especially considering this:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-future-proofing-your-pc-for-next-gen
Some quote:
The CPUs choosen confuse me, especially considering these two quotes:t

We approached a number of developers on and off the record - each of whom has helped to ship multi-million-selling, triple-A titles - asking them whether an Intel or AMD processor offers the best way to future-proof a games PC built in the here and now. Bearing in mind the historical dominance Intel has enjoyed, the results are intriguing - all of them opted for the FX-8350 over the current default enthusiast's choice, the Core i5 3570K.v
"This (Sony) approach of more cores, lower clock, but out-of-order execution will alter the game engine design to be more parallel. If games want to get the most from the chips then they have to go 'wide'... they cannot rely on a powerful single-threaded CPU to run the game as first-gen PS3 and Xbox 360 games did. So, I would probably go for the AMD as well, as this might better match a console port of a game... based on what we know so far."

The GPU part makes perfect sense:

"I think we can assume that most games will use a majority of the 8GB for graphics resources, so I'd go for as much GDDR5 on the GPU as possible," says Avalanche's Linus Blomberg.

Also, suggests that NVidia has something like Mantle coming (that, or they are going to use AMD in the end)

"Replicating the 8GB unified ram of the Sony console will be impossible," another well-placed source tells us.

"The problem with Windows is that there is always a DirectX type 'layer' between the game and the actual hardware. This marshals and controls the movement of textures/shaders/vertices from the main PC memory to the memory on the GPU. Unless PC games programmers get direct control of the hardware (very unlikely), you will always be fighting against this issue. You never know where your textures are and when they will be uploaded to the GPU, which can cause stalls or micro-stutters in a frame as resources are shunted between the memory types."

As for the 450W PSU.... Well, *Theoretically* A Titan should stay below 250W, any of those CPUs should stay under 125W, which leaves some room for other stuff.
Still to tight a fit I believe, but, we'll see.

-Q

Edited by SMiThaYe
tidied up text quotes

I doubt this will ever be popular. It will die the same way OUYA did.

I doubt this will ever be popular. It will die the same way OUYA did.

exactly, if it is/does get a version with an A10 APU, final retail like 400-500 dollars, i could see it possibly suceeding (although, I still have doubts) but at such a high price it doesn't fit in anywhere that I can see.

-Q

I doubt this will ever be popular. It will die the same way OUYA died

That might be a tough call to make remember steam has more users than xbox live, I will never own one but I bet a lot of people well.

What I mean, Steam Machines will most likely run on this special Steam linux distribution. If AMD and NVIDIA won't spend extra time and money making their drivers compatible with unix then Steam boxes will be dead before reaching the market. Just because Valve ports two, three popular games to LInux it still not enough to call it a revolution. Hopefully AMD will make Mantle work on Unix, so more games would be easily ported.

Awesome thanks for explaining  that.

What I mean, Steam Machines will most likely run on this special Steam linux distribution. If AMD and NVIDIA won't spend extra time and money making their drivers compatible with unix then Steam boxes will be dead before reaching the market. Just because Valve ports two, three popular games to LInux it still not enough to call it a revolution. Hopefully AMD will make Mantle work on Unix, so more games would be easily ported.

Mantle is OS agnostic, at least according to AMD they are targeting mulitple platforms... If you want I can find slides from shows for it.

Anyhow, Steambox is just a box with an OS that you can get for free.  Steam has said they will give out SteamOS iirc.  Steam will likely be working on the drivers themselves also.  I wouldn't be surprised if they only promised good drivers on configurations that Steamboxes support.  Don't see why they wouldn't be able to work with AMD to get a version of Mantle for SteamOS.

It all depends on how much Steam is willing to put into it, Mantle will eventually come to Unix OS:

1. iOS/OSX both have Unix base.

2. Android does indeed have a Unix base, despite being a janky Linux + Java thing.

3. Linux is a specific variant of Unix

4. AMD specifically called out multiple platforms.

Anyhow, Nvidia's open-source drivers on Linux currently beats AMDs iirc, so Steam can always add to those.  They are targeting specific games (for now) so it shouldn't be a huge clusterfk (just a small-medium sized one)

-Q

EDITED FOR: Adding in a number, 2nd edit because I forgot to change "3" to "4"

This is definitely above my pay grade, glad someone understands this stuff. Now back to  important  things like gaming... 

Mantle is OS agnostic, at least according to AMD they are targeting mulitple platforms... If you want I can find slides from shows for it.

Anyhow, Steambox is just a box with an OS that you can get for free.  Steam has said they will give out SteamOS iirc.  Steam will likely be working on the drivers themselves also.  I wouldn't be surprised if they only promised good drivers on configurations that Steamboxes support.  Don't see why they wouldn't be able to work with AMD to get a version of Mantle for SteamOS.

It all depends on how much Steam is willing to put into it, Mantle will eventually come to Unix OS:

1. iOS/OSX both have Unix base.

2. Android does indeed have a Unix base, despite being a janky Linux + Java thing.

3. Linux is a specific variant of Unix

4. AMD specifically called out multiple platforms.

Anyhow, Nvidia's open-source drivers on Linux currently beats AMDs iirc, so Steam can always add to those.  They are targeting specific games (for now) so it shouldn't be a huge clusterfk (just a small-medium sized one)

-Q

EDITED FOR: Adding in a number, 2nd edit because I forgot to change "3" to "4"

I know they are, but currently this is only for Windows. The code is not even finalized to port it to other systems.

Valve is trying to make something like open console. It's totally up to you how much you want to spend on such system. This is both great and bad idea. Mature consoles receive very well optimized games, but in the end they are super slow.

The fact that XBOX is already using 720p for games is incredibly disappointing. This console will be sold for years. How will the games look in the end? We will be playing Battlefield 6 in highest details on PCs, while console players will only run it at 800p resolution.

Now going back to Valve, if you spend only $400 then you won't be able to play majority of the games. Steam Machines will sold for thousands of dollars, so in the end you will be forced to upgrade it regularly.

Valve needs a lot of support, from game developers, amd/nvidia and community. I would be happy if someone came up with a real alternative to Windows (and let's be honest, games are the real reason why this system is still so popular).

eh, Linux just scares some people also.  If you told them "Here is computer with OS, it is good, etc" they would like it, but the moment you say Linux...

And also, the full capabilities of the consoles won't be showing until at least 2 years from now.

I expect we will get up to 1080p/60fps with the same or better quality on the Xbox One, the PS4.0 will be able to hit 1080p with better quality than currently.  And the PS4.x might be able to hit 2K at 30fps with the same settings around the time the next generation of consoles is coming around.

Either way, with Sony's upgrade path for the PS4.0, they might end up with what he steambox really should be (except for the fact the OS is closed ofc).

No matter what it just means no FFXV for a long time for me *Cries*

-Q

NOTE: If SteamOS supports full HSA, and starts to make its games support HSA, than a $400 Steambox (Kaveri) could easily last longer than a $600-800 one.