omega

NEW Project ( ironBox ) - Build Log

70 posts in this topic

There is still junk in "this " rad , i think it is an old one that Ek send me , but will see when i flush the second 480 rad , hopefully that the other one is not like this :s .

EK sending out old rads, that ain't right and hope they didn't pull a quick one on you. Good job too you have a second rad to compare with and get an idea what's normal. I know the last thing you need is complications cos it's hard enough already.

I really hope that to, as my package was back-ordered for 2months or so because they didn't have rads in stock when i ordered. But i contact EKWB about this issue and am waiting for them to reply which i think will take ages because of the new year coming..

Will do some more flushing tomorrow as i need some new coffee filters and distill waters . People on overclock.net suggest me to use 1 time vinegar for 10 time di-water , will try out this method and post result .

Regards

Using vinegar is ideal for cleaning tubes to get them looking better than new, never thought to use it for rads. Could be worth a shot so long as you're sure it won't corrode the rad due to the acidity and reaction with bare metal.  Don't want to alarm you, maybe with it being so diluted it won't matter :)

Edit: If you have to go beyond normal tried-and-tested methods for preping your rad for installation via distilled water (you've even used a pump for cleaning the crap out that should guarantee results) I would demand a RMA and claim it's faulty/used. I wouldn't spend more time on that rad and get it replaced, get the others checked asap. Yes I'd be pissed if it was me too, the worst thing you can do is use that in your loop and your testing has proved it's not of satisfactory quality (bit of consumer law for you there). If they brush you off, write to them about the problem and tell them you are going to claim off your credit card. If you pay by debit card its called a chargeback - they above the store and transfer the cash from their bank to yours. Don't use this unless you are within your rights because they can contest this, your bank will tell you what you need to do so have a pen and paper ready.

Another thought... have you tried hot distilled water and shaking up the rad with oven gloves? Pop the distilled water in a cheap pan for this and heat it to min of 65c, hot enough to clean but not too hot that it damages the rad. Do about 5 times until no more crap comes out and another 3 times after it's clean, each time obviously using fresh distilled water. I'm going to have a hunt for a load of distilled water next week because it's hard to find, not deionised as not all organic compounds are removed and usually what you find on highstreets and petrol stations instead. Deionised can also be used for your iron's reservoir but some top steamers state in the manual it's not required as a maintenance with deionised is all that's required. So if you see either 1 or even 5 litres of distilled water locally grab a load of them ;)

Updates concerning the Radiator flush. EKWB contact me via support , and they are investigating my issue with there research department, So i will be not flushing my remaining radiator till i hear from them .

Some photos of my other cooling hardware.

Aquero 5 LT , will control all my fans . I have to use the water-block as well cause the fans am using are so demanding that the controller will not handle all this stress.
xa67.jpg

pibr.jpg
So the controller will be hook with those PCB via some 3-pin cables , which will connect all the fans , am planning to connect 4 fans per channel in hope that the controller will handle them . Will be running the fans at 600-800RPM , maybe more if the temp is not as good as i wish.

4hwp.jpg
A few more pictures
oc2a.jpg

z6fx.jpg

0jni.jpg

Wanted to try something out , even if it is not perfect , the end result is pretty nice IMO :P

Can you guess what it is ?
hhyn.jpg

The pumps
phqi.jpg

The final thing :P

9ptd.jpg

This will be my Led for the Illuminated panel . The light is just fine , as you can see you can choose a lot of configuration , also dim the light as well. It is super cheap on ebay , i paid this 5Meters led strip with ir-controller + RGB configurations for just around $20 + free shipping. If am not wrong you can have them in 1 meter also.

ioi8.jpg

egcq.jpg

gvk4.jpg

I have the same LED strip, same controller, same length, but I'm not using it, it's too bright for one case. I would say 2 meters are more than enough :)

Indeed 5050 led strip are very bright , But you can always dim the light with the controller :P

Regards

Updates :

EKWB email me earlier today , they offering me to replace my bad radiator with a new one through RMA process. But this will not happen as i am unable to send the radiator back to them , as am not paying $ 100 in shipping just to send it back :/ . will have to find another solution

Regards

UPDATES:

Just want to share that my 240mm rad is flushing like a charm, no yellow crap coming out of it , i will let it flush overnight just to make sure , but i can say that my 480mm rad is defect !

Took them long enough to send that email and sorry to hear that yet again you are having issues.

I read the RMA which states the usual that EKWB the customer has to pay for shipping. In the T&Cs and exchange sections, they are ok I guess but for the customer it's always a lot more expensive to send parcels than companies do which acts as a disincentive - you aren't claiming under warranty but complaining that the product is faulty and not fit for use and have done so in a reasonable timeframe, a partial as a gesture of goodwill should suffice if you kick up a fuss and show the photos or video. Otherwise make public the video on YouTube and social media sites and simply report the facts, they might get in contact with the condition you take it down so you can come to an agreement under contract. May sound like I'm suggesting you cause trouble that's not the case, your main point is that EKWB are shipping rads in that condition that easily slipped by their QA.

They state: "EKWB's liability shall be limited to repair or replacement of components which are defective owing to manufacturing or material defects."

And go on to say in no uncertain terms: "The Buyer shall inform EKWB in writing of any defects with no undue delay once defects have been registered. Products being dealt with under the warranty shall be returned to EKWB for repair unless any other agreement has been reached in writing
EKWB shall not cover costs incurred by the Buyer in connection with the transport or wages involved in a warranty case. Such costs shall be met by the Buyer in full."

Peruse it as a matter of principle otherwise buy an Alphacool 480mm, found this thick rad but I know from the XTX it would be no good. They are cheaper rads and not sure about performance but the increase in fin density lends itself well to lower pressure pressure fans or simply for running the fans at up to a quiet 1200RPM.

When I get my rads very soon, I will let you know in my build log what crap comes out. I'm using distilled water that protects metals so any problems will be down to the rads. As long as only iron fillings and dirt comes out that is fine by me, don't mind the manual labour with a good end result, And I wish you luck too :)

I offer them to pay the shipping for the new rads they are sending back , or 25% of the price . i think i made a mistake telling them this. Should have wait for your advise first , but anyway they didnt reply to me today .

If they does not replace the rad without me having to pay, I will not ever use EKWB products ever again. Will go with other brand.

Regards

UPDATES:

I have successfully flush my 3 other Rads ( 480mm /240mm EKWB and 240mm  Alphacool ) , am now trying again with the defect one , this will be the 3rd time flushing it

They pay for the shipping of the replacement product back to you, the customer only has to pay for shipping for RMA as is industry standard. This is different if dealing direct with a store in your country where they send a courier at their expense if the item was delivered damaged. Simply returning it because you didn't like it, etc requires you to still pay for delivery for a full refund. As always, have proof before sending any damage back just in case and as you've already done, package it well. It leaves them with no excuses not to refund you, this is farcical because you often pack it much better than how they originally sent it out.

Another obvious brand for alternative rads is XSPC, my current watercooling CPU loop is XSPC but I look upon them as a good mix between price/performance with plenty of choice but not always top performance. The 480mm rad that just come out is the XSPC RX480 Quad Fan Radiator V3 (5060175585073) and costs around the £104 mark for this thick rad that replaces the useless V2, maybe install in the bottom or make do with 360mm. Another new one is the Koolance HX-CU1320VS 480mm (HX-CU1320VS) and dimensions are 127(W) x 25(H) x 508(D) mm (W x H x D). I think you can only install fans on one side of this and should cost around £72.

Maybe for the quality and fittings alone stick with Aquacooling because they are top notch rads made in Germany, have no idea what their CS is like. Btw, how long did it take to flush each rad with your pond pump? I have in total 6 litres of distilled water to flush two 480mm rads, CPU/board/GPU blocks and should be enough if all goes well.

Put aside all those problem with one of my rad , here are some exclusive pictures on my ongoing case. It is still empty through  :D

7c27.jpg

My current room :D

p7db.jpg

This one is my favorite
jk0a.jpg

This is looking great, keep us updated. Nice logo btw :P

Indeed it is a good logo , thanks to smith ! :)

BTW i have been contact by EKWB, they will send me a new rad without me having to pay , thats great ! thanks to them and not to forget smith , who help me enormously

Regards

Hi peeps. I was busy those couple of days , sorry about that. Being currently not able to make any progress in my build , as am still searching for a nice aluminum sheet ( the one i had is not fit to use as i have miscalculate it :/ ) ,my last resort will be a thick piece of black acrylic ( 6mm - 8mm ) .

Today i want to share with you my experience with my rads , as stated above i had to RMA one of my rad which was corroded right from the store. After some negotiations EKWB gladly send me one new rad without me having to pay a thing :D . Long story short story , here is a little do and dont for all your copper stuff

There are several way to clean copper , but i will only talk on the ways i have tried.

what you can used, believed it or not but those stuff actually works great :
- distilled white vinegar
- salt
- lemon juice
- ketchup

You can mix vinegar + lemon juice then pour fine salt + the mixture onto the area you want to clean , rub , keep rubbing with a clean cloth till all tarnishing and grime are gone. Once done rinse off with a mixture of bicarbonate + distill water , this mixture will stop the corrosion on the copper due to the acid of the vinegar. I guess this method is best suit for water-blocks( cpu etc .. )

Now i will talk about radiators , i do have experience only with EKWB Coolstream XT , so it is up to you to follow my advice. Here is the method i use :

>Boil water ( something about 50c to 60c will be fine )
>Run it through
>Seal it up
>Shake rad continuously ( time to dance ! )
>Pour out
>Repeat till no more junk come out of it. As a guess 4 - 5 times this method will do the thing. As for the water , i would only recommend HIGHER GRADE of distill water, dont go at car shop and buy cheap water at $3 or so. Talking from personal experience :) .

This one is an automated flushing solution , been using this one a lot , it come handy when you do not have that much time to flush the radiators manually or if you need to go out and still want to flush your radiators. Follow this small video.

or here

One last thing , never mix metal , specially copper to aluminum , this will cause " Galvanic Corrosion" ( google it :P ) and screw all your block , so be careful . Am trying to use only copper stuff in my build . I hope that i came across some points that wasnt clear enough to some of you guys and do not hesitate to ask questions.

regards.

Want to share something very nice , you will surely need it when playing long hours of games ! :)

nyox.jpg

qmak.jpg
uqnh.jpg
Actually it can cool your canned drinks to 8c-10c varies on how long you leave the can in the mini-fridge . Yes i know in the image it is a glass of juice :P , but actually it is made for can drinks only lol

Remind you of anything ... :P

5gDyuux.png

Nice idea that cheap USB cooler! Not really ideal if your hands are cold too with the glass being cooled. If I had more room, and could put up with the humming I'd go for a mini fridge and pour cool drinks into a room temp glass because it is annoying when in a warm room after say 10 minutes your drink has warmed up and this would be vital in the Summer. Cheers :beer:

Received my glues yesterday , after months of search i have finally found someone selling acrylic glues,Yes i had to import it as there is non of such glue in my country . Note that acrylic glues are hazardous and can' t be shipped overseas , but i think that the Evonik 0192 which is a single compound tube and the Agovit 1900 which is a 2-compound glue , use hazardous-free materials , otherwise i wouldnt be able to ship them to my country.

iB8EcVe.jpg

As said the Agovit 1900 is a 2-compound glue , the first one ( big bottle ) has to be mixed with a Hardener about 3% - 6%  ( smaller bottle ) , after that you will be able to use this glue . I was able to make a " model " of my illuminated panel today and i hope to finished this panel at the end of March , if everything goes well :) . Still need to buy some thicker acrylic sheet , 8mm or 10mm clear sheets if i could find them locally !

Also i am moving from Imageshack.us to Igmur.com , as Imageshack is now a pay for service hoster :/ , my bad

Oh this looks very interesting, you have me glued to my seat :P I wouldn't know where to start with this. When people make acrylic in build logs they either hire someone else to do or don't show the process. Fair enough if it requires your full concentration.

Erm, did you mean to say March instead of Mars ;)

A bit more information on 'ACRIFIX 1R 0192' if you go to page 6. Time between processing is up to 3 hours. Good luck Omega :)

Oh yeah my bad , it is March ! :) , sorry about that wrote this in the early morning !

Acrylic job well be difficult for me as it will be the first time  , rom all the buile log i have read it seems that the key is to measure , measure and measure ! , my Dremel 4000 help me enormously ,i can " easily " cut through aluminum sheet too :D .

i will buy the acrylic sheets till next friday and will start the work just after

Regrads

I know this is a late post but if I didn't say it already, dude I really like the white & black color of you're 900d  only wish I'd thought if it..

Thanks abvolt :) .

Its been weeks that i didnt post any updates , but things are going slowly here . The mid panel is driving me crazy lol, i cant remember how many time i have measure the lenght, as i dont want to cut it wrong.

Anyway , am working hard on it as i dont have any exam now :)

Regards

I cannot wait for more updates. :beer:

BTW with this pace you would better wait for GTX 880 :)

Hi , ive just want to share the final picture , its been 3 yrs now :P since i update .

On 4/15/2014 at 2:04 AM, WhyCry said:

I cannot wait for more updates. :beer:

BTW with this pace you would better wait for GTX 880 :)

hehe , more like 1080 :)

the mini buildlog in pic :

LOL you replied to me after 3 years haha, yeah sorry for not predicting 1080 thatsoon :) 

You really did make an upgrade

Case : Corsair Obsidian 900D
CPU : i7-6850K clocked @ 4.5hz 1.31v 24/7 
RAM : G.Skill 8 x 8Gb 3200hz MB :
Asus Rampage v Edition 10 
GPU : 2 x EVGA Gtx 1080 FTW ( stock ) 
SSD : 2 x Samsung 250 pro 256Gb
HDD : 2 x HGST Travelstar 7K1000 1TB 
PSU : Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Monitor : Samsung S27A950D 
Keyboard : Corsair K 95 RGB Mechanical
 Mouse : Corsair M65 Vengeance

best rig from all of us right now. I'm only surprised you didn't buy any M.2 SSD. It's few times faster than Sata drive.