IAmARock

useful website for any configurations, etc.

7 posts in this topic

Well, http://pcpartpicker.com/

Is a link to a very useful website, you can configure a PC any way you want based on the parts they offer (which is a lot).

There are a lot of features:

• multi-country support (add suffix, ie: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/ and http://de.pcpartpicker.com/parts/cpu/ I have not tried every single country however.
  • Allows for: CPU, Mobo, cooling, multiple graphics card (if the cards work in CFX/SLI), RAM (multiple sets), power supply, etc.

• It lets you estimated power usage based on the parts

• It allowed you to make builds and link (it gives a permalink) such as: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/197Pm (please do not buy that.... it is a horrible machine, not even fully done)

• Allows you to choose from any of 25~ retailers (may differ depending on location, i have not checked) as well as showing combos (i think that is only from newegg) as well as ability to factor in Mail-in-rebates or not.
  • has basic benchmarking information, but i advise you look to different sources
  • has "price trends" which lets you see how the price of CPU, GPU, Monitors, RAM, and Storage has changed over the last year
  • has "price drops" which shows which parts dropped in price in the last 24 hours.
  • And more

It does a lot of useful stuff, like showing the lowest pricing (it pulls from 20~ sources) as well as showing estimated power draw.

You can disable which retails you want to see results from, as well as showing or hiding rebates and more.

Anyone who wants to show a mock system, etc. should probably use this site.

:)
-Q

Thanks for this suggestion :) At first I thought it only covered the US but it also covers Australia, Canada, Holland, Spain, France, Italy, New Zealand, and the UK!

I give it a bash to see if it covers what I fancied for fun and it had most components covered bar the elusive GTX 780 Classified w/ Hydro Copper Watercooler (03G-P4-3789-KR) but you need to add another £800 tops to this pricetag for a full custom watercooling build. Here's a summary of the order: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/18OIA and I only included the H100i, the Swifttech 220 wasn't listed or any other cooler but you can add the url to the custom part.

Everyday I usually search using man u codes and google that but it chucks up loads of sites I don't like using and this lists the site I would shop with in this example. Still prefer to shop with 2 etailers maximum to avoid overcomplicating the delivery and incurring extra charges. In the end though I like the manually way I do things and writing down the exact components I have in mind because with watercooling your talking about 20+ separate parts. I also use StaticICE price engine alongside Google.

. Still prefer to shop with 2 etailers maximum to avoid overcomplicating the delivery and incurring extra charges.

In the end though I like the manually way I do things and writing down the exact components I have in mind because with watercooling your talking about 20+ separate parts

You can either temporary select retailers you want included, as well as if you have an account permanent options.

Also it has a price breakdown by merchant :)

It used to be really annoying because you couldn't add wireless cards, sound cards, etc, but now they added it which makes it easy to figure out exact pricing.

And I also do thinks off the site in the end, but it is useful for a basic cost tool :)

Say if I did select two preferred etailers, it would be interesting to also see any potential savings than if I had left the options to default as was the case in my example.

Have you used this site often to gather what a particular system may cost, and would creating an account keep you updated when the price drops?

Adding on main bullet-point tips in your OP would help others such as those I've already posted if you want to.

I can see this being useful for those on a tight budget. Or like me, being shocked at how much a good overclocking PC costs. Glad I buy the odd part over time ;)

There are also basic benchmark results (this loads up slow for me) from 3DMark11/Vantage for system balanced score, Cinebench 11.5 for CPU/GPU testing but I know from personal experience it doesn't like CF/SLI, PCMark 7 for system balanced scoring, SysMark 2012, Unigine Heaven 2.5 which is very outdated due to being v4.0 now, and Zip compression that is nice for testing CPU/SSD/HDD. It has Gaming and Software as coming soon.

Say if I did select two preferred etailers, it would be interesting to also see any potential savings than if I had left the options to default as was the case in my example.

Have you used this site often to gather what a particular system may cost, and would creating an account keep you updated when the price drops?

Adding on main bullet-point tips in your OP would help others such as those I've already posted if you want to.

I can see this being useful for those on a tight budget. Or like me, being shocked at how much a good overclocking PC costs. Glad I buy the odd part over time ;)

There are also basic benchmark results (this loads up slow for me) from 3DMark11/Vantage for system balanced score, Cinebench 11.5 for CPU/GPU testing but I know from personal experience it doesn't like CF/SLI, PCMark 7 for system balanced scoring, SysMark 2012, Unigine Heaven 2.5 which is very outdated due to being v4.0 now, and Zip compression that is nice for testing CPU/SSD/HDD. It has Gaming and Software as coming soon.

They have a page that breaks it up by all retailers (total cost) and lists them all starting from whomever has the most parts.

I don't know if it has an auto notify feature, i have not used it recently, i started using it over a year ago, mostly for friends, I also used it for my own computer....

I didn't even know they had basic benchmarks even..

I'll edit the OP later on today, probably in 5-6 hours.... i just fixed a printer.... lots of stuff to fill out now yay... (he wispered sadly).

Also i'll go through the site and have a bullet list of features than :)

not bad at all , can give a try just to see the config.