SMiThaYe

Nvidia
GeForce Experience: ShadowPlay (Game Capture)

5 posts in this topic

WbINcRM.png

From what I know ShadowPlay is planned for Summer 2013 and will work with any Kepler GPU.

What it does is automatically record your last 20 minutes gameplay (with an option to manually record way beyond this as I suspect this via a hotkey-action) utilising your GPU via the trusty H264 codec. Looking too far ahead, H265 isn't ready but will come useful for larger 4k records to reduce filesizes with the same video quality. H264 is perfectly fine for the job because recordings will be limited to 1080p at 30fps and quality should be pretty near ingame quality with reasonable filesizes. In Sony Vegas I've used GPUs for accelerating rendering video encoding (via either Sony AVC or MainConcept AVC codecs) and the picture quality wasn't as clear or as sharp, there will be a small trade-off for this convenience with Nvidia's handy solution.

From my own experience of recording with Fraps, ShadowPlay will be fine for everone. Even if you record at 60fps which I do, YouTube limits this to 30fps regardless. With Fraps you usually have to import huge uncompressed files or transcode them, then finalise them via a final video render in H264 - all which takes some time. The point is if the gameplay doesn't feel smooth, a first person shooter played at 30fps isn't good enough for seasoned gamers, then it's going to be an unused feature. But you'll save on having spend cash on Fraps, Bandicam (free alternatives to use are the popular >MSI Afterburner or >EVGAs Precision X), all which I've used over the years and Fraps is by far the best quality but requires a beastly PC. It has a big performance impact to both CPU and GPU.

Although ShadowPlay is already capped to 30fps, I'll be unable to see the impact on framerates bar monitoring the usual GPU OSD information for real ingame performance.

This recommendation will probably come with the notes to ShadowPlay as I'd recommend it for Fraps recording: recording to a dedicated drive is a must to enable smooth gameplay - at any res or framerate because it typically halves your fps. Buy yourself a good 1TB 7,200 HDD (avoid the green drives please) WD Caviar Black will be up for this job. This enterprise-class drive has a 5-year-warranty for piece of mind. I've worn out a 2TB WD Caviar Black after a year of heavy Fraps use and had it promptly replaced by WD. Now I'll point out that ShadowPlay's impact will be much less taxing on most peoples PCs and some may not even notice the difference if it compares to my own use of Bandicam bar the mentioned 30fps limit.

ShadowPlay utilising Kepler will be very interesting and follows on from GeForce Experience, I can see this being targeted towards those wanting to get straight into the action without the hassle of traditional ways.

The latest version of GeForce Experience is available to download but remember Shadow Play isn't implemented yet - I will certainly update this post once it has been.

This should be a very useful utitlity for you Smith :)

I hope you don't mind Smith, but I updated this post:

Geforce Experience 1.5.1

Release Highlights:

• Adds support for Windows 8.1 beta
  • Fixes various installation issues with GeForce Experience and related components
  • Fixes an issue where launching GeForce Experience results in a crash
  • Fixes an issue where system configuration is not shown after driver install

More info here

That's fine Skr13, only got the update message just after 10AM and you posted the same info I would have.

0a0BjrX.png

Regarding Shadowplay, this is the quote from NVGareth on the official Nvidia forum

4wkvlP4.png