Skr13

Haswell
Haswell compatibility issues with older or bargain PSUs

5 posts in this topic

intel2zpz.jpg

Haswell compatibility issues with older or bargain Power Supply Units

intelpower.jpg

psuspecjpg.jpg

While the Ivy Bridge CPUs had a minimum power consumption of 0.5 A in a C6 or C7 state, the next generation of processors would require only as little as 0.05 A, a 10x reduction. The problem is that a number of older or lower-quality power supplies are unable to deliver such low loads at stable voltages, meaning that the system could crash due to unstable voltages when in C6 or C7 state.

b.png?t=Source%20Link&f=DejaVuSansConden

Most worryingly, PSU manufacturers (even the enthusiast grade ones) do not usually report the minimum load on their spec sheets, so it is virtually impossible for us to come up with a list of supported units at this time. To ensure a smooth transition, mainboard designers and system integrators have been told to implement a BIOS-level toggle to enable/disable the new C6/C7 power states.

We asked Corsair's Robert Pearce about this issue, and he told us, "I fully expect the [motherboard] companies to disable C6/C7 in the BIOS (though consumers could enable it if they chose to) as there are simply too many PSU's in the market space which might not work correctly." That said, Pearce added that Corsair is working to ensure that all of its power supplies support the C6/C7 states. "We believe they already do but are checking," he said.

List of Corsair PSUs and its compatibility with Haswell

Thanks to omegaa for the tip!

Thanks for the links omegaa :)

Late to notice this topic somehow but thanks for the list of Seasonic's and others, my preference being Seasonic then Corsair.
You can use any PSU though so long as you disable all PSU states/modes (to be safe for now until verified) and it's fine to keep Intel's SpeedStep enables (dynamically adjust clocks based on load).

Anyway here's an updated list of Corsair PSUs which should all be compatible by the looks of the lovely green we have (click for larger view)
BSlOIFrm.png
Corsair source

More to add yet

CoolerMaster

Edit:
there are a LOT of PSUs that are compatible for Haswell and although I'm linking here to a etailer, I'm not promoting them but if WhyCry can figure out out how to quickly gleam the manufacturer + product names along with codes quickly to excel them as above I'd happily provide info as above and try to update it. I can cross-reference them with other entailers or the manufacturers themselves, the later being more reliable.