SMiThaYe

Intel's Haswell USB 3.0 Issue - Skip First Round

12 posts in this topic

Intel's Haswell USB 3.0 Issue - Skip First Round

 

For those looking to potentially upgrade to Haswell, I'd wait for the next CPU stepping until Intel has fixed a small USB issue - interesting that Intel are noting this as a small issue than a fault which I assume would rule out Intel swapping the CPU at a later date so long as this is pointed out at the point of purchase. I can see this being a issue for quite a lot of people. Normal temptation would be to disable that energy saving state in BIOS but when your leaving your desktop on for weeks at a time that is a costly decision.

 

What happens: If you awake the PC from S3 sleep state, the memory stick with the already opened document or media file will result in a blank page, you'd need to restart the media file as it will have 'forgotten' that it held that information which is normally held in system RAM. At no point will you lose data.

 

This is a reminder of Intel's failing SATA-III chipset issue on the first revision of motherboards which had to be recalled at Intel's cost, my P8P67 Deluxe required swapping as a matter of caution on my part even though I didn't experience any issues. If this has tought me anything, give it 2-3 months for issues to become apparent and check relevant forums for early signs before buying.

 

 

RZN4Y.png

http://goo.gl/Um8vx

http://goo.gl/ZwEQ5 about power states

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like an issue with the engineering samples. Someone is making a bad PR about something that doesn't even officially exists.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming this is true, engineering samples are normally over-engineered and lots of leeway for overclocking but still have some faults that will be fixed for full production. As with any unreleased tech, there is normally a NDA and this would indeed break that hence why I can see the likelyhood for someone causing problems for Intel.

 

Maybe the unnamed manufacturer raised concerns (which the article says S3 could lead to other issues) and was told they'd aren't going to bin existing chips. From my point of view the manufacturer didn't want a repeat of Cougar and tried damage limitation at the earliest opportunity which also keeps Haswell's launch on track for June. A setback like this could cost Intel hundred of millions of dollars and Ultrabook or mobile sales would flatline as people awaited Haswell. This is hearsay and best leave final judgement until we can scour the review samples in 3 months time.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it confirmed that first review samples should be available in 3 months? Well, we can see some new Z87 motherboards released on CeBIT which would support the Haswell already, but in my opinion it's a waste of money to buy a motherboard that will support a CPU, which arrives in few months. I heard that Haswell will be the best overclocking CPU Intel has ever made. My Ivy isn't really a good sample to overclock, so I might jump on the new architecture to actually see a performance increase.

 

Are you going to buy the new Haswell CPU? You have Sandy and Ivy so it will be easier for you to determine if it's worth it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like Intel copying game developers in releasing hardware they know isn't quite up to scratch but releasing it anyway, like throwing a hot potato cos they don't want it ;)

 

Whycry, I didn't see the reply from you in my inbox, update wasn't sent to me. Will wait until later in the year and could end up buying Haswell then. I'm still undecided because my 2600K at 4.6Ghz is quite something and 3570K is clocked to 4.8Ghz at 1.28vcore is very nice. I did try 5Ghz at 1.36vcore but it was unstable and temperature reached 74c under full load. If Haswell runs much cooler at 5Ghz I'll even replace this CPU and use that towards a new server build as it will also result in even lower energy bills for 24/7 use.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update... Intel is going to limit the volume of Haswell due in June, once the issue is fixed volume will be ramped up.

JoAnne Feeney, chip analyst at Longbow Research: "Look for a slow Haswell ramp as last year’s inventory build, following a surprisingly weak 2H, leads the industry to stick with the safer Ivy Bridge platform (socket compatible with Sandy Bridge, unlike Haswell) and for Haswell to make up less than 50% of desktop CPU shipments even in 4Q. Contrasting earlier reports, however, Haswell for DT (Denlow platform) looks set to launch with cautious volume in June using the faulty C1 stepping, and then to see a stronger ramp once the glitch is worked out. Still, this is more than we had hoped for in June. Caution in Ivy Bridge units still likely to constrain gross margin for INTC and contacts point to August as the more significant launch period."

Source

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like I have more time to upgrade. If the CPU is pushed back, so are the new mobos. And of course new GPUs are not expected in the first half of this year.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick update...

 

Competitive Haswell pricing and it could be released before Computex - news sourced from vr-zone and techoftomorrow.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will buy haswell maybe at the end of this year if i am able to sell my MoBo + Ivy

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still trying to decide whether to upgrade my ivy to haswell. I just don't want to loose money when my cpu gets old.

On the other hand, I will upgrade my gpu for sure.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're looking at a 15% increase WhyCry.

Whereas if I jump from Sandy Bridge to Haswell it's a nice 30%. Will have a tiny benefit to my GTX 680s which I know won't be bottlenecked by my CPU.

A 4930K would be far more appealing to me to increase productivity in PS, Vegas, benchmarks, etc.

I read the release date won't be until September 2013 according to cpu-world. Gimme more cores Intel!

Either way it's something I've been thinking about doing and only after the first round of chips. Will also give me some time to check for issues in waiting another 3 months.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites