Skr13

Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan 3-way/4-way SLI review incl. 5760x1080 and frametimes

4 posts in this topic

How do two, three and four GTX Titans perform?

cNuRrSS.jpg?1

Nvidia itself only mentions SLI and 3-way SLI, and indicated that 4-way SLI would not be possible with the GTX Titan. However, the Nvidia-sponsored overclocker Kingpin has already posted 3DMark scores with four Titan cards on HWbot.org. We of course had to try our own 4-way SLI configuration, and we're happy to report that it's definitely possible.

aYmsv21.png

Review Link: »91stvt4.png?1«

Thanks for this insightful review :) The frametimes across the board on Crysis 3 are horrendous, above 20ms is noticeable, 30ms for me is nearly unplayable. The next challenge for Nvidia is reducing frametimes, AMD is has already been working on this since January 2013 and that announcement will be very interesting. Ideally Nvidia should get on with 512-bit memory interface and be done with teasing us ;)

Don't want to sound a smartass in picking up a little point but were talking about ultra-enthusiast kit. 1600MHz of RAM on that test bench is laughably low (ideally 2400MHz) and the fact they didn't OC 3960X throughout to at least 4.6GHz means the GPUs are being bottlenecked. Some games it may not be by much but your want to take that out of the equation as much as possible. They did OC a 3970X to 5GHz but that was for a synthetic benchmark rather than real-world gaming performance.

As I said in shoutbox: Very High GTX 690-SLI shows a huge 60.1% increase. Despite really high fps with GTX 690-SLI I'd always put a smoother gameplay first. GTX 690 suffers from lack of both a bandwidth and VRAM, for the cost isn't a worthwhile investment for the years ahead compared to Titans 6GB and larger 384-bit memory interface. Remember Titan is still using launch drivers. Both cards are for surround gaming and a GTX 690 with 2GB per GPU is laughable. Titan is priced too high at £900, should be no more than £800. Most enthusiast know that the limitation of Titan is thermal limit of 95c which means you'll too buy blocks too and build them into your loop. Blocks are selling up to £120 unless your buying from EVGA with their solution at approx £1100 per Titan. Dread to think what the final price will be once it arrives because the pound is being valued lower every day against the dollar as we head closer to another recession.

I like the tendency of some reviews sites to include frame latency on par with average frame rate, that can lead to Nvidia and AMD focus their attention in that critical area, forgotten for some years.

For someone who needs to decide between GTX 690 or Titan, IMO Titan is a better "future proof" card, due large bus(384) and 3x more Vram(6GB), lower power consumption, less problems than dual-gpu configurations, better Compute performance etc.

If I were to pick a card from 690 and Titan, I would go for GTX 690. To be honest frame latency is not such a huge issue here. I am a fps gamer, I like smooth graphics and no stuttering. However, even though I have only 60 Hz monitor, it's still not an issue to enjoy the gameplay. What is even more interesting is that I play through  Wi-Fi. With a latency of 50-70ms I can't spot a difference between 30 and 70. I know that the connection latency is something completely different than frame rendering, but still both impact the gameplay almost the same way. Another reason to pick up 690 is that it's the fastest graphics card out there. This card will easily beat any new flagship model (that's because both AMD and NVIDIA architectures are just a small refresh). By the time GTX 780 launches, the price of 690 will drop, making the purchase of another 690 even more cost effective. Something I cannot say about Titan, since it's considered a separate generation.