SMiThaYe

AMD TressFX
AMD TressFX - DX11 Hair Physics

4 posts in this topic

ahIAa87.jpg

AMD TressFX - DX11 Hair Physics

AMD in collaboration with Tomb Raiders developers Crystal Dynamics have introduced TressFX to try to solve the challenge of unrealistic hair for the upcoming Tomb Raider game on 5th March 2013. TressFX Physics is calculated in real-time - using Microsoft's DirectCompute via Graphics Core Next architecture (GCN) - adding to the realism of weather effects such as wind and rain.

Building on AMD’s previous work on Order Independent Transparency (OIT), this method makes use of Per-Pixel Linked-List (PPLL) data structures to manage rendering complexity and memory usage.

DirectCompute is additionally utilized to perform the real-time physics simulations for TressFX Hair. This physics system treats each strand of hair as a chain with dozens of links, permitting for forces like gravity, wind and movement of the head to move and curl Lara’s hair in a realistic fashion. Further, collision detection is performed to ensure that strands do not pass through one another, or other solid surfaces such as Lara’s head, clothing and body. Finally, hair styles are simulated by gradually pulling the strands back towards their original shape after they have moved in response to an external force. Graphics cards featuring the Graphics Core Next architecture, like select AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series, are particularly well-equipped to handle these types of tasks, with their combination of fast on-chip shared memory and massive processing throughput on the order of trillions of operations per second.

Bar12gel.jpg

1282×1501px JPEG [ 500 kB]

RZN4Y.png

As a footnote I should add this (source bit-tech) from an AMD statement...

Bit-tech: As we suspected, AMD's press release has been very carefully worded. 'TressFX is not exclusive to AMD,' a spokesperson for the company has told us. 'It works on any DirectX11 card, similar to some other AMD-built technologies - for example Order-Independent Transparency (OIT) or High Definition Ambient Occlusion (HDAO).' Thus is the truth revealed: any DirectX11-capable graphics hardware, including those from rival Nvidia, will be able to make use of AMD's hair-rendering know-how.

Devon Nekechuck, product manager for high-end discrete desktop graphics at AMD, offers a bit more detail - and a sneaky plug for his company's GCN-based Radeon HD products: 'TressFX will definitely work on any DirectCompute-enabled device. This has roots in the core of Gaming Evolved, where we want to enable technology for all gamers, and not create proprietary features that lock out gamers that use our competitor's products. That said, TressFX is very computationally intensive, and hence games that use TressFX will really be able to benefit from high DirectCompute performance. Because of that, you will see Graphics Core Next-based GPUs excel when it's enabled.'

Smith, have you pre-ordered the game already? I've spend a lot of time with TR 1/2. As for the tressfx, yeah it's a cool technology, but that that's not what I would advertise so widely, there are more fields to cover, where the coding could be much better.

No pre-order as I've already spent over £40 pre-ordering BioShock Infinite and the Season Pass. I would buy this once heavily discounted on Steam by around September time, that's simply because of other titles to play/catchup on.

I've followed TR simply out of interest in how this reboot would work and how the vulnerable Laura manages alone on a island and overcomes this into becoming an experienced adventurer, I'm sure better hair physics will do wonders for her confidence ;)

As for tressfx, it's nice to have with a third-person perspective since your looking right at the character but your so far away from her that it doesn't matter whatsoever and this is the way I prefer it. Some developers could spoil it and have the camera too close just to see the effects but for an adventure title it doesn't suit it at all. Previous TR titles on either PC/console have had complaints about the camera angles and not knowing where to jump and ending up jumping LC to her death. Maybe some of the younger members of the audience would want better physics with another aspect of LC  but those cliché days are rightly behind us, for a want of words. As for cliché, I hope there aren't too many scenes are her just coming seconds to death or a timely rescue before she falls to her death, far too many of those in movies already that I always expect they'll be fine. What is great for the first time is that this is the first TR game to be rated an 18 / Mature and I have high hopes of the story yet to unfold.

Thanks to assassino for the link, here is the comparison of utilising Tressfx in this quick post.

For 1920x1080 you'll need 2GB VRAM for Ultra qualtiy + 2xSSAA. 2560x1600 requires 3GB as the article below shows GTX 680 didn't run, otherwise turn settings down to FXAA.

TressFX OFF

TressFX ON