tomlando

I need advice in Card selection, please.

8 posts in this topic

Hello. :) This is my first post here.

I am making a HTPC from a HP p6-2378: (Here, I'll insert some sarcasm for you :rolleyes: )

Processor: AMD A8 - 5600K 3.6Ghz (3.9 turbo) Quad core TDP 100Watt

Mobo: MSI MS-778(Jasmine) - no HDMI output

Graphics: On board Radeon 7560D 100 watt

PCIe x16 2.0 available

Complete Specs:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03548976&cc=ad&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0002#N68

With additions:

+ 16 GB PC3 12800 1600 DDR3 (total is now 24GB)

Corsair 500CW PSU

2 - Happauge HVR 2250 dual tuners

A 2nd HDD of 1TB, and possibly adding SSD to run operations

This will be used mainly as a PVR to record shows and will be left on 24/7, however, web surfing and video streaming will be done also. It will be connect to a ONKYO TX-NR609 7.1 surround via HDMI (so sound is important) and that will feed a Panasonic 65GT30 TV.

I have noticed that most of the better cards are PCIe 3.0, and I only have a 2.0 slot available. I've read that a 3.0 will work in a 2.0 slot, but at half speed. The best I have seen of the 2.0 cards are in the HD 6000 series and all the 7000 and above are 3.0. So it seems that I would have to downgrade from a HD7560 to a 6000 series so I can have my HDMI output. :wacko:

Would it just be a big waste to buy a 3.0 card and put it in a 2.0 slot?

What card(s) would you recommend for my situation?

Any other recommendations?

Thank you for considering this issue for me. :)

The difference between PCI-E 2.0 and 3.0 in terms of gaming performance is slim to none. Just take a look at the first review that pops up in google.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/18/pci_express_20_vs_30_gpu_gaming_performance_review/2#.URKHc2c46CY

We're missing a budget here.

Also what you should check is how much space you have on that motherboard to install a new card.

The card can take up 2 slots and there is nothing in the way to need a low profile card. Can I find something very good in the $100 - 300 range? I would prefer that, but would go a little higher if it really makes a difference and wouldn't cause bottlencks that would negate the benefits. Maybe a few different cards to choose from...like a good, better, best kind of thing, unless that is too much trouble? I will be using one display at 1080p

Thank you.

What I meant was the maximum length of the card you can install. Just take a look at Radeon HD 7970 for instance, it's a long card. I bet it will fit in your case, but it's always better to check it before buying.

For 1080p gaming there is no need for the top performance card. Just tell us what games are you going to play se we can start giving you advices :)

Well, if the card is longer than 12" I would have a problem, but under that I am fine. I really don't play many games, so this is an HTPC for HD tv and HD & 3D movies. I am replacing my older system that was an intel pentium dual core @ 1.6GHz, 3GB of DDR2 RAM and a Gigabyte Ge Force 210. It would stutter at times during action scenes and sports. So I am upgrading to this system and I am not sure what video card to put in.

Thank you.

Well if that's only for movies, then I would look for a cheap card.

EVGA GTX 650

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130828

If you need more outputs, then there's Gigabyte GTX 650

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814125445

But let's be honest, GTX 650 is not a gaming card, but it will easily handle high definition movies.

You can also go with HD 7770 GHz Edition.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814202011

Of course, if you decide to play more games, then there's GTX 660 or HD 7870, but these cards cost significantly more. Just check user reviews at newegg to get more information about the specific model.

I decided to go with a Sapphire 100355-1GOCL, Radeon HD 7850 1GB 256 bit GDDR5. With the discount it is $165 and it has good reviews

I am hoping that the Corsair CX500 PSU will handle it for the purposes I am using it. Do you think I may have some issues because my 500 watts are the minimum requirement? If it is underpowered, what happens? does the pc just crash? Or does the picture get jumpy? Maybe being that it is being used mostly for TV, Movies and Video streaming it won't be pushing it so hard so I'll be ok They are sending me 2 free games, Bioshock Inf and Tomb Raider, so, who knows ...maybe I'll get addicted. :)

Thank you, Whycry

It won't crash. If your card doesn't have enough power it will use a different power mode, but it will never have the highest available. This card should work just fine with the power supply you have, so no worries.

I hope this card will you keep addicted to this forums at least :)