Skr13

ScreenBright

13 posts in this topic

Mvm87dE.png

ScreenBright is a free software which lets you adjust or control screen brightness of your computer screen. Also allows you to control screen contrast, color luminance, control the green, red, blue color on screen from their respective slider.

The user-interface is completely simple and straight-forward, it includes sliders and shows the respective percentage of the settings choosen.

ScreenBright requires a DDC/CI or USB-control compatible screen, which is available in almost every modern monitors.

Besides, the setup file is very small, about 159kb and don´t require installation.

IMO is the best tool to change brightness of my monitor at night without have to use the monitor physical buttons.

sJs9sbr.png

» Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7
» 159kb
» January 04, 2013

8yXAaY2.png?1

Edited by Skr13
Download Link updated, again!

What is the point of this application? I mean, it would be useful 10 years ago, but now... not quite sure :)

What is the point of this application? I mean, it would be useful 10 years ago, but now... not quite sure :)

This program is almost unique in the "market", it uses DCC/CI technology to control some settings of PC monitor.

Some brands like HP or Samsung have their own software to control brightness, contrast, display mode etc, but in my case Asus(VH226H) did not have any software to control those settings without physical acess to buttons, which isn´t pratical for every situations, and in some case if some side panel button get damaged, could be impossible to access monitor interface menu, so this kind of application can save some money, instead of RMA´s, just because 1 button or something.

Besides the program is very user-friendly, just slide the desired settings and it´s done.

What is the advantage over using your video card control panel?

Nvidia Setting

(Click image to enlarge)

ScreenBright Setting

(Click image to enlarge)

Try it and you will see.

Neither Nvidia or AMD have included DDC/CI support with their drivers, which I found as a big fault, but in the other hand Intel display drivers provides it to their users. http://itoo.ws/227785

I'm not very fond of the warning message saying it voids your monitors warranty.

I'm fine with using it on my secondary monitor that is only worth about $130 bucks, but I'm a little hesitant about using it on my BenQ FP241W that doesn't have a manual profile to set it to. I have DDC/CI enabled on my BenQ, whatever that means. I can change brightness/contrast/hue/etc through the OSD while in any of the profiles, but like I said, I'm not sure about using ScreenBright after that warning. Especially when it says there is no undoing the settings once you set them.

Care to elaborate on why it says this when starting the program and why you can't undo the settings once they have been changed?

I'm not very fond of the warning message saying it voids your monitors warranty.

I'm fine with using it on my secondary monitor that is only worth about $130 bucks, but I'm a little hesitant about using it on my BenQ FP241W that doesn't have a manual profile to set it to. I have DDC/CI enabled on my BenQ, whatever that means. I can change brightness/contrast/hue/etc through the OSD while in any of the profiles, but like I said, I'm not sure about using ScreenBright after that warning. Especially when it says there is no undoing the settings once you set them.

Care to elaborate on why it says this when starting the program and why you can't undo the settings once they have been changed?

I never saw that warning message you talking about, I used ScreenBright in Asus and HP monitor and never appear warnings.

Oh I remember, the first time I installed appeared some warning message, but after that I ticked the box to prevent show the dialog again.

But the point is, if that technology wasn´t that safe, why Intel still use it in their drivers over the years? I haven´t seen any report about damaged monitor...

As I said previously, Samsung Magictune and HP My Display, both use DDC/CI to control various settings of monitor and they are safe IMO.

The difference is ScreenBright is compatible with many more brands/models, which is really useful.

Use it on your 2nd monitor for some time and if you feel that it´s safe, try it on Benq.

Many tools advertise about breaking warranty, like MSI Afterburner, IntelBurnTest etc, but as a enthusiast I don´t care about it.

I really need to use the program, specially to reduce brightness at night sessions.

Action: Removed post contents by SMiThaYe.

Reason: You are setting up accounts on various forums and first posts are to promote this unknown tool via copy n paste with popular sites. Your intentions are unknown, yes I could run tests on it, but I dislike your spamming. Any similar posts to this one will result in your ban, we have to protect other members whereas Skr actually tested it and is a trusted moderator and could answer peoples concerns. Highly likely this was your first and only ever post you intended on making.

Edited by SMiThaYe
promoting via spamming popular forums

Thanks. I use it to change the brightness when it's dark. It works great. And I don't click on "Save" button (I'm not sure :D )

ZoSo

You can't change backlight using NVIDIA CP..

10 years ago. What do you mean? I can't quickly change the brightness on my Philips (have to open settings using SmartTouch, it is very uncomfortable).

Thanks. I use it to change the brightness when it's dark. It works great. And I don't click on "Save" button (I'm not sure :D )

ZoSo

You can't change backlight using NVIDIA CP..

10 years ago. What do you mean? I can't quickly change the brightness on my Philips (have to open settings using SmartTouch, it is very uncomfortable).

Yes I still use this application over the years, because using monitor buttons is not always confortable.

I don't use "Save fucntion" too ;)

Been using this off-and-on with my 980 Ti (works with Nvidia GPUs but unsure about AMD GPUs purely for monitor adjustments) and found it has been simple and easy to use.

Note: My monitors are both using custom-calibrated profiles (factory / calibration tool). Best to check out TFT Central first to get your monitor settings right  http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

MSI Gaming APP - click the white eye (above LED) to access this...

click for larger image

Presets (what I think it does):

• EyeRest (remove blue tint and slightly lowers brightness)
  • Gaming (increased colour saturation, brightness, gamma and contrast)
  • Movie (increased contrast and lowers brightness for darker blacks but increase gamma for a clearer view)
  • Customise (full RGB colour, gamma, brightness and contrast adjustments)

Read more + download link >> http://gaming.msi.com/article/msi-gaming-app-article

Never heard of this tool, gonna give it a try, thanks Smith ;)

Although, screenbright is more easy to use, since it's specific for screen brightness/contrast control.

EDIT: Seems like this app don't work on my system "The platform does not support this application" :/

I looked the entire page and didn't see any reference about system requirements to use this app, which is clearly dissapointing, I'm not sure why it doesn't work on my PC, maybe lack of MSI GPU or MOBO? <_<

Edited by Skr13

Ah ok. Thanks for testing Skr. Checked the support file with the list of supported products, they are all MSI for AMD and Nvidia :(

Since it's a matter of adding your own GPU somehow(??) and more of a pain than AMD/Nvidia drivers we'll leave this for open utilities as you've already posted. For overclocking we already have MSI Afterburner (without question the best for overclocking imo), MSI Gaming APP is more of an Nvidia Experience / AMD Raptr quick-fix for ease of use via presets then perhaps manual adjustments beyond that.

We all know this is a simple overclocking tool for those not normally enthused to try or knowing where to start, we aren't snobs here on VC and for some it can be useful albeit limited to MSI. When it was launched back in 2013 it didn't even support SLI, later supported it but required disabling SLI then enabling it again, I ran the overclocking tool a couple months ago and it just works.

Also been waiting for the update to this tool (since July 2015) to include system monitoring - it's similar to MSI AB OSD but easier to setup and use.

icjTPw8m.png

However... Thanks to not providing updates I've just found that version 5 provides these options. The exception being that All is tickable but the remaining are disabled (likely because my board is ASUS and not MSI (!). Below I opened all tabs on the NEW version for lols ;)

click for larger image

This is the GPU support list *cough* - https://pastebin.com/TDsLjn0i