ZoSo

ZoSo's Upgrade!

23 posts in this topic

So here is what I have ordered:

i5 3570K: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116504

G.SKILL Sniper DDR3 2133: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231519

ASRock Z77 Extreme3: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157330

I think I will see a slight increase from my Q9550 :D

BTW the reason I jumped on this quicker than I was thinking originally is because my current CPU (Q9550) is selling on Ebay all day long for over $150 and my RAM (OCZ DDR2 1066 Reapers) are selling for $60-$80

so the upgrade in the end won't cost me more than $50-$100 due to me getting the motherboard paid for by an outside party and selling my current hardware :)

hey zoso you know you could wait for haswell i am waiting too cause of the new architect and its not much longer only couple months.I really need an upgrade too from e6550.It would be big performance jump for me and what do you think should i upgrade to haswell or sandy i heard that there would 10% performance jump from ivy bridge in x86 applications.

It was said that each architecture brings 10-15% performance boost. Sandy is old and Haswell is just a rumor for now. He made a good decision to buy those items now, since it's a rebate.

I jumped from Q9550 3.8GHz to i5 2500K 4.0GHz and saw a considerable fps boost in some games, and my GPU was GTX 560 Ti.

Compress/Decompress programs and some Video converters also appreciate my i5, to do heavy stuff.

A SSD is also a crucial upgrade to any modern computer, on pair with a good CPU and GPU.

Haswell is really all about the IGP and I could care less about that. The 3570K beats out the 2700K in many gaming test, so you do the math on that one in cost ;)

http://www.xbitlabs....0k_6.html#sect0

now if you are doing data intensive tasks the clock speed of the 2700K wins out, but the 3570K always beats it's direct competitor in the Intel line up, the 2500K. Also look at power usage and stuff like that, Ivy is the way to go and Haswell is mostly about the IGP which is useless for people with dedicated video cards.

http://www.anandtech...-architecture/5

n short, there aren't many major, high-level changes to see here. Instructions are fetched at the top, sent through a bunch of steps before getting to the decoders where they're converted from macro-ops (x86 instructions) to an internally understood format known to Intel as micro-ops (or µops). The instruction fetcher can grab 4 - 5 x86 instructions at a time, and the decoders can output up to 4 micro-ops per clock.

Although it's noted above as a new/changed block, the updated instruction decode queue (aka allocation queue) was actually one of the changes made to improve single threaded performance in Ivy Bridge.

The main changes are on the back end:

With an outright doubling of peak FP throughput in Haswell, Intel had to ensure that the execution units had ample bandwidth to the caches to sustain performance. As a result L1 bandwidth is doubled, as is the interface between the L1 and L2 caches.

However I'm not going to have to pay a premium for bleeding edge tech when everyone has stated that Haswell is way more about the internal GPU than it is CPU improvements. Of course there are CPU improvements, but Intel is trying desperately to catch up with AMD on the IGP side of things so they can sweep the board finally. Currently AMD has the better IGP, but most gamers/power users do not care about IGPs. This includes me.

You can expect CPU performance to increase by around 5 - 15% at the same clock speed as Ivy Bridge. Graphics performance will see a far larger boost (at least in the high-end GT3 configuration) of up to 2x vs. Intel's HD 4000 in a standard voltage/TDP system. GPU performance in Ultrabooks will increase by up to 30% over HD 4000.

Oh and I am running a SSD, OCZ Agility 3.

Zoso: "so the upgrade in the end won't cost me more than $50-$100 due to me getting the motherboard paid for by an outside party and selling my current hardware :)"

Those are the best times to upgrade when people are willing to pay so much $ for old outdated parts because they might be stuck on E6600 or something and want a quick Q9550 swap without getting a new mobo + DDR3. The price of DDR2 is astronomical now. I remember I sold Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 4GB sticks for only $40 when I moved from Q6600 to i7. For only $20, you can sign up for the Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel®.

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

You'll be able to overclock to 4.8-5.0ghz @ 1.45V and not worry about killing your chip. Although the solder on IVB is crap, so you might want to desolder the chip to drop temps 10-20*C.

Congrats on the new upgrade.

lol I just watched that video before you posted it over on XtremeSystems forum

yea the prices of my parts are insane:

Q9550 ended 2 days ago just like mine and used ($182.50+SH): http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a7c126374

OCZ DDR2 1066 Reaper 2Gb Modules (I have 4): http://www.ebay.com/...cat=0&_from=R40

None have bids right now, but I saw a set of 8Gb sell for $90 the other day, so if I got that much that would be $272.50 and that would cover my cost, since like I said I'm not having to pay for the mobo. Not to mention I am currently selling parts off my old muscle car on a forum dedicated to that car/year range.

Thanks man :)

Note: my order just shipped and should be here Wed or Thurs :D

When my fan controller gets here, then I'll be posting pictures ;)

The one on the 650D couldn't handle high speed 120mm fans, read multiple people that blew the controller doing it. Mine is now dead and I'm having to use mobo headers until the controller comes in. I picked up this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992007

Simple and effective, exactly what I was looking for.

a few pictures until I get my fan controller in and can show you the whole rig:

Quite similar to Extreme4. Did you notice any boost in the operating system? Or is it more noticeable in games?

I've noticed a boost in basically everything and you have to remember my SSD is now connected to a 6 GB/s SATA port, so that speeds up things nicely on it's own.

Did you have any trouble using USB 3.0 ports? As for my board, it has more 3.0s than 2.0s, so whenever I reinstall my system I have to plug-in my wireless card to usb 2.0 (to download drivers). Then I can plug in my keyboard or mouse and download drivers for usb3 (I can only have 2 devices working at this moment), and after that I can use all 6 ports. I should probably have a copy of those drivers, but I always forget :) And no, I never use the bundled cd.

I haven't had any issues using the USB 3.0 ports with USB 2.0 peripherals. However I only have 2x USB 3.0 ports and the only thing plugged into it is my Logitech G9 Mouse. I haven't tried anything else in the ports yet. One thing is my Corsair 650D has USB 3.0 ports on the front of the case, but they are literally just USB 3.0 male cables and my ASRock Z77 Extreme3 has a USB 3.0 header on the board, but it didn't include the cable that goes with it. I guess I need to order that separate in order to use it?

You can see this header right below the 24 Pin power connection. Kind of hard to see in that picture, but it is visible, below the power connection on the bottom right corner of the RAM slots.

I haven't had any issues using the USB 3.0 ports with USB 2.0 peripherals. However I only have 2x USB 3.0 ports and the only thing plugged into it is my Logitech G9 Mouse. I haven't tried anything else in the ports yet. One thing is my Corsair 650D has USB 3.0 ports on the front of the case, but they are literally just USB 3.0 male cables and my ASRock Z77 Extreme3 has a USB 3.0 header on the board, but it didn't include the cable that goes with it. I guess I need to order that separate in order to use it?

You can see this header right below the 24 Pin power connection. Kind of hard to see in that picture, but it is visible, below the power connection on the bottom right corner of the RAM slots.

Yeah that would be the solution. The reason they did not include it, is that almost every case has a different layout of those usb headers on the front panel. Mine case has such cable for usb3.0, but interestingly that wasn't a pin connector, but a typical usb cable that goes through the watercooling holes to the mobos bracket in the back (and it's red, that looks awful!). There is a pin connector, but for usb 2.0 ports. So long story short, that cable should come with the chassis.

Well I read on Corsair threads and Corsair said they wired it like that because of a lack of a standard USB 3.0 mobo header across manufacturers. I will get that accessory after I get my sponsorship soon :D

First picture after getting the fan controller in, still have a few cables to change and dust off some stuff. Overall I'm happy with the new case/build and this is the first time I've had the back panel on.

I don't really love any of these pictures, I'll need to get the rig outside to get some good pictures, but here are a few shots:

Nice rig, the case is superb.

BTW there is some dust accumulated in the front panel. :lol:

Yes I know there is DUST :P! I have cleaned it already and will be taking outdoor pictures today.

Good photos and nice job sorting it out :)

ZoSo, check out the Corsair braided cables if your bothered about aesthetics, otherwise good old Velcro or insulating tape would tidy things up - bunching them up in alignment. Check Corsair's site, they ain't cheap, it will be specific to your PSU too. You could braid them yourself but you'd void your warranty as any returns require the cables they were originally packaged with for testing, plus any faults could be down to the cables you braided which is why it's not covered.

my main power cables are braided and the others are that flat black rubberized type, I have no problem with the look of my PSU cables. I love them actually.