Skr13

Prime95 - System Stability Test Tool

5 posts in this topic

wrB6J.png

Over the years, Prime95 has become extremely popular among PC enthusiasts and overclockers as a stability testing utility. It includes a "Torture Test" mode designed specifically for testing PC subsystems for errors in order to help ensure the correct operation of Prime95 on that system.
The stress-test feature in Prime95 can be configured to better test various components of the computer by changing the fast fourier transform (FFT) size. Three pre-set configurations are available: Small FFTs and In-place FFTs, and Blend. Small and In-place modes primarily test the FPU and the caches of the CPU, whereas the Blend mode tests everything, including the memory.
Twenty-four hours of testing is recommended to be sure, as errors may show up after 16 or more hours of testing.
On an absolutely stable system, Prime95 would run indefinitely. If an error occurs, at which point the stress test would terminate, this would indicate that the system may be unstable.
To check CPU cooler efficiency I recommend IntelBurn Test, as it gives higher temperatures.

http://forums.videocardz.com/topic/205-intelburn-test-your-overclock-temps/

p95.jpg

6M7Me.png?1 »Windows 32-bit
6M7Me.png?1 »Windows 64-bit
6M7Me.png?1 »Linux 32-bit
6M7Me.png?1 »Linux 64-bit
6M7Me.png?1 »Mac OS X Edited by Skr13
New version: 27.9 added!

Thanks for the info and the download links, I've never used prime95 always had intel burn. I'll let you know what I think after a run or two. 

From my experience, Intelburn test tells much faster if your OC is stable or not, and also makes your CPU's temps get a little hotter than in P95 (which is good to test the CPU cooling solution), but sometimes even if it's stable on Intelburn test, fails at P95(after some torture hours).

So I recommend to start with IBT as the inicial OC stability test, and if the result is positive, then run some hours(6+) of P95 to be sure of the OC stability.

btw, I will update the topic with new links, since a new version has been released ;)

now, let me see if my laptop can handle this (probably not tt)

If you're using Prime 95 on a recent Intel CPU, use v26.6 or earlier - to prevent adverse over stressing of the CPU.