ZoSo

Help ZoSo Pick His Next Case

17 posts in this topic

Ok so I am still running my Antec 900 which used to house my AMD X2 4200+ setup if that gives you an idea of the age.

Picture B)

I've been looking at cases for a while (years obviously, lol :lol: ) and I have kind of decided on one of the iterations of the Silverstone Raven2. However there are many Raven designs and I'll show you my top picks:

This shows you most of the features:

Favorite of the Ravens: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163211

2nd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163213 (too pricey and I can tell very little difference)

3rd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163185 (the budget Raven,I would go with the first unless money was tight)

However I am looking for opinions on any Mid Towers or even Fulls, what do you guys like and know performs somewhat close to my Antec 900. I know the 900 is basically one of the best air cooled cases on the market and that is why it is still selling like hot plates, however I need something new.

Here is a review of my top pick: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3095/silverstone_raven_rv02_bw_case/index.html

Good picture of the case:

Ok guys, now talk me into buying something else or tell me this is a great case to get!!

_

There are many good options:

• Corsair Carbide 500R;
  • Corsair Vengeance C70;
  • Coolermaster HAF XM;
  • Antec Eleven Hundred

Thanks for the suggestions and yea I know there are hundreds of great cases. You can see my budget hovers between $150-$250 (most of those cases you selected are towards $150 or below) and I'd prefer to stay away from Antec this time, I've had one for long enough :D

Is there any single case that jumps out at you above the rest, I guess that is kind of what I am asking. Also does anyone have an opinion on the case I selected?

Not very much out of you guys on a good case, that is kind of surprising. I am definitely getting one and looking for good opinions like Skr13.

ZoSo, computer case is always a personal choise, but after saw that you want higher price tag than my previous case recommendations, i found this 2 interesting models:

• Corsair Obsidian Series 650D» discrete but beautiful
  • COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition» good airflow and big size

I do like that Corsair Obsidian (I've never been a huge fan of the HAF series) and yea I know it's a personal choice. I was just looking for a few opinions before I buy one of the Raven2 models.

I think I may be stuck on the 90 degree rotation feature of the Ravens + the Penetrator fans help :D

Thanks for the recommendations

Skr13 I ended up going with one of your final suggestions, the Corsair Obsidian 650D, on sale for $129.99 after MIR: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811139006

I can't wait for this baby to get to the house :D Thanks again for that suggestion, it is really the sort of case I was looking for, but didn't know about it and you opened my eyes to it. So you get a like on your post ;)

Skr13 I ended up going with one of your final suggestions, the Corsair Obsidian 650D, on sale for $129.99 after MIR: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811139006

I can't wait for this baby to get to the house :D Thanks again for that suggestion, it is really the sort of case I was looking for, but didn't know about it and you opened my eyes to it. So you get a like on your post ;)

Excellent choice pal, if a had money i would buy one of those for sure.

Right now i have a CM 912 PLUS <_<

You get a like also, for following by good advice :)

well it is on my NewEgg Preferred Account Card for now until I get my money I get every year from my Grandfather ;)

anyone that hasn't taken a look at the case I picked, this is it:

and the baby is here!! It looks so much nicer and sturdier than my Antec 900, but that wasn't a big surprise :D

Post the pics as soon as you put everything in, don't forget the sticker.

screw your sticker!! :P

Obsidian are not for WaterCooling kit ?? if am not wrong , am asking because i am currently looking for a NEW case here are my choises :

1 : Obsidian 800D or 650D

2 : Silverstone Raven 3 ( SST-RV03B-W )

3 : Silverstone Raven 02-E (SST-RV02B-W-USB3.0)

4 : Silverstone Fortress 2

5 : Silversonte Temjin 09 / 07

6 : Coolermaster HAF-X

I need it to be a full tower which support a corsair H100 with 4 fans , i dont know if it is possible to fix an H100 in a silverstone case with the 90 rotation thing.

ps: sorry to steal your thread zoso :D :D

Edit : I will buy one of those case tomorrow ( maybe the HAF-X ) if someone has a better suggestion it is more than welcome.

Regards,

Omegaa.

If you are going for WC, then the 700D or 800D are obviously the better choices, but the 650D is easily water cooled. Pretty obvious a 240mm rad (H100) can mount straight into the top (after removing the fan) and the rest is just a matter of moving HD cages out and relocating HDs to 5.25" bays or just slide the HD tray over like this guy did:

(he is actually running 2x 240mm rads which are the same size as the H100, so this is proof you could put two H100s in the 650D if you wanted)

(http://forum.corsair...ead.php?t=94403)

I looked at the Ravens hard, very hard and ended up going with the 650D because of a killer sale with the total after MIR (which I got the other day) of $124.99 w/ Free Shipping, which was WELL below any of the Ravens. If you are going to go with a Raven DO NOT buy the RV03. It is a cheap knock off of the others and is not worth anywhere near that price ($160), you are better off spending the extra dough for the RV02B-W if you really want that style. The thermals are supposed to be great too, which is the one down fall of the 650D, it relies on a single 200mm fan for all of the intake, unless you mod it. I was sold on the Raven looks and performance until I saw the 650D going for that price w/ Free Shipping and I jumped on it and don't regret it at all. The 650D is a NICE case and if you aren't trying to cool like SLI 480s or something, thermals won't be a problem. My 3570K fully loads in Intel Burn Test after 25 passes at 65C @4.2ghz and my 660 Ti is currently idling at 29C (full load at 64C), so it's not like the thermals of the 650D are bad, they just aren't on the Antec 900 level.

Anything Silverstone makes in cases is going to be quality and they are known to be awesome for water cooling, especially the fortress series. The HAF-X is in the same pricing category as the other cases I have talked about, but the quality of the case and overall finish is not even close. It reminds me more of something a 16 year old with rich parents would buy, but some people love that case. Nothing you have listed is bad, but IMO I would say forget the HAF series all together. I used to like those cases until I started to really look at premium cases and realized it wasn't in the same ballpark aesethtic wise.

Hope this helped and let me know if you have any specific questions.

My 800D is triple rad in the roof with 3x120mm white fans in pull config. I have room for push but never got around to adding another 3x - when your adding that many you can start to use low-RPM static pressure fans.This is best case I've owned by far but my main complaint is the Sata cables have to be plugged in via the controller but I've easily took that off but means it's no longer hot swap, no loss there. I found the controller to be unreliable and they cost £12 to replace.

Inside case view of my triple rad

Top view of 3x120mm fans

I'd prefer the 900D if your after triple/quad GPUs as the 800D starts to get cramped. Here is some info. Official Corsair page.

Product model: 900D

Dimensions: I655x694x251mm (25.7x27.32x9.88in)

• Extra large full tower
  • Motherboard format: ATX, E-ATX, XL-ATX, HP-ATX
  • HDD/SSD position: supports 15
  • Simultaneously support for 2x 480mm, 2x 360mm water cooling radiators
  • Front I/O panel
    -Headphone port
    -Microphone port
    -4x USB 3.0 ports
    -2x USB 2.0 ports

I will never go WC , too much hassle to maintain in the country am living , So that why i bought an H100 . Zoso you suggest me to go for 650D ? i hear that the obsidian are mainly for WC and i am thinking to go crossfire too. I want to go for an obsidian because of its hell good looking, i live in a tropical island , so airflow is a priority for me

i really dont know if a raven can mount an H100 or the fortress or even the temjin , i am also looking in the silverstone , but the only thing that stops me is if i am able or not to mount the H100.

The 900D will be out of my budget and i need the case right now :P

Well the 650D is going for cheap right now on NewEgg ($139.99 After MIR w/ Free Shipping) and as I showed you it does fit the H100. However the case is no Antec 900 in terms of air flow, but I haven't had a single thermal issue, even when running my extremely power hungry GTX 480. I do think the 650D is a good balance of quality/aesthetics w/ performance, it's just not the best out there in terms of air cooling is all I was saying. I don't think it is much different than the Ravens, as I have found out those famous Air Penetrator fans do not move as much air as I thought. If you replace the the 120mm exhaust on the 650D with a high flow fan and then mount your H100 to the roof of the case with high flow fans, I don't think you will have an issue. Or you could even mount the H100 to front of the case as shown above with 2x 120mm on one side and the 200mm on the other, but this would blow your warm radiator air all into the case.

It comes down to what you want, performance, aesthetics or a balance of both. You can also mod the 650D and use a hole saw to mount a 120mm intake to the bottom of the case between the PSU and the HD Cage. You will definitely want to remove one HD cage (unless you need to mount over 3 HDs) to allow the 200mm intake to blow more freely. I am considering doing the 120mm intake mod to the bottom of the case with a hole saw, it's so obvious and simple that I kind of feel like why not.

In terms of prices, you can't beat the 650D price right now vs. most other substitutes in that class of case. If your main concern is pure air movement, you can do better than the 650D, but you will have to compromise in other areas.