BestJinjo

Catalyst 12.11
AMD Announces Catalyst 12.11 Driver Update and Never Settle Gaming Bundles for HD7000 series

14 posts in this topic

AMD Announces Never Settle Catalyst 12.11 Driver Update

AMD announced what it calls the "Never Settle" driver, a version of Catalyst Software suite, which could potentially tilt the price-performance ratios in its favor, against NVIDIA. The new drivers carry the canonical version number 12.11, and target AMD Radeon 7000 series GPUs, specifically those based on the Graphics CoreNext architecture, such as HD 7750, HD 7770 GHz Ed., HD 7850, HD 7870 GHz Ed., HD 7950, HD 7950 BE, HD 7970, HD 7970 GHz Ed., and HD 7990; and mobile Radeon HD 7700M series, HD 7800M series, and HD 7900M series.

Catalyst 12.11 promises up to 15% performance improvements in the most modern games, such as Battlefield 3, DiRT Showdown, Sleeping Dogs, Medal of Honor: Warfighter, and more. With these improvements, AMD is claiming performance leads for all its top products, over NVIDIA's. The Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition, for example, gains 20% performance advantage over GeForce GTX 680; HD 7970 gains 15% over GTX 670, and HD 7950 20% over GTX 660 Ti. The Never Settle driver, along with its complete release notes and download links will be updated a little later today.

http://www.techpower...ver-Update.html

and even better, FREE GAMES!

AMD Also Announces Never Settle Game Bundles

In addition to the Never Settle Catalyst 12.11 drivers that give a shot of NOX to Radeon 7000 series GPUs, AMD unveiled the "Never Settle" Game Bundles. With each purchase of Radeon HD 7900 series, HD 7800 series, or HD 7700 series graphics card purchase, you get Steam coupons to a up to three games, with a guaranteed 20% off on purchase of Medal of Honor: Warfighter, on Steam.

With every Radeon HD 7900 series product (HD 7990, HD 7970 GHz Ed., HD 7970, HD 7950 BE, and HD 7950), you get Steam coupons to FarCry 3, Hitman: Ascension, and Sleeping Dogs. With two HD 7800 or HD 7700 series products, you get coupons to FarCry 3 and Hitman: Ascension; with one HD 7800 series or HD 7700 series product, you get a coupon to FarCry 3. The promotion could run all the way through the Holiday season.

http://www.techpower...me-Bundles.html

TechPowerUp just did a driver review. http://www.techpower...ormance/23.html

AMD is now faster in BF3 than NV at each price level: http://www.techpower...formance/5.html

The relative improvements for each card overall are:

• HD 7750: +4%
  • HD 7770: +5%
  • HD 7850: +4%
  • HD 7870: +10%
  • HD 7950: +7%
  • HD 7970: +7%
  • HD 7970 GHz: +7%

EDIT: I probably should have moved this into the AMD Videocard section. Mods please move it there if you feel it's more appropriate ;)

BF3 performance increases are massive:

Reviews that tested the driver increases:

1) AnandTech

2) Hexus.net

3) TechPowerup

4) Legit Reviews

Normally I don't care about driver releases or game bundles but AMD is firing on all cylinders. I hope NV matches with its own game bundles or driver increases or price drops, which would result in for stronger competition for gamers! :)

10% improvement for HD 7870 according to TPU review. Glad I bought my HD 7870 :D

It was important for AMD to finally sort out BF3 / Frostbite 2.0 since it will be used for a number of future games.

After almost a year AMD's driver team finally understood GCN to optimize its code... wow.

one of AMD's rep has posted a comment over at Overclock.net

The WHQL versions of 12.9 was scrapped, yes, but the beta 12.9 was extensively tested by the public. The code from 12.9 will debut, with additional stability/fixes, as the 12.10 WHQL driver to coincide with Windows 8. Then we took that 12.10 driver, branched the code, and started building in performance enhancements to give you the 12.11 Beta driver you see today. We'll work on that beta code base until we can turn it into the 12.11 or 12.12 WHQL driver, depending on the month it's finally ready.

In parallel to developing the next WHQL driver, we'll start work on the 12.12 or 13.1 beta. smile.gif

DISQUS

HD 7950 20% faster than GTX 660 Ti...LOL

Anyway nice improvement, but i wonder what AMD driver department had done in previous months? Sleeping :)

Just hope after that news, Nvidia drop their Kepler prices to be more competitive.

Anandtech also has done a nice driver review. All this is due to 'clean' optimisations. No loss to IQ :D... there is a filtering bug on skyrim though for HD7970.

Topic moved, was this thread made before I posted about this on VC?

Great, but when Driver will be launched?

Seems that was some bugs with that version and AMD quick remove from Download secion...

http://news.softpedi...ed-301176.shtml

Why they took so many months to release a decent Driver, especially for BF3, and people with HD 6000 and HD 5000 don´t have any benefit in performance.

You can download them, but this is beta, the drivers that should be available are WHQL

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_12_11_beta_download.html

well at least now amd drivers team are doing good job i hope they keeping doing that so nvidia should price drop

Topic moved, was this thread made before I posted about this on VC?

Ya, you were sleeping :)

Great, but when Driver will be launched?

Seems that was some bugs with that version and AMD quick remove from Download secion...

http://news.softpedi...ed-301176.shtml

Why they took so many months to release a decent Driver, especially for BF3, and people with HD 6000 and HD 5000 don´t have any benefit in performance.

1. "12.11 brings a nearly across-the-board framerate increase due to architectural optimizations within the driver stack rather than title-specific enhancements. This has primarily been achieved through the use of better memory management, meaning AMD’s GCN cores are now able to use memory bandwidth more efficiently. (Hardware Canucks)". VLIW-4/5 architectures didn't have this inefficiency so it was not possible to improve their performance I bet.

2. Better late than never. I am guessing AMD finally got proper access to the game code after MOH:W becoming an AMD Gaming Evolved title. In fairness NV didn't improve performance in a large number of games either where it trails HD7970. BF3 was one of the most popular games on the PC and that's why it hurt AMD way more than having faster performance in 10+ games like Crysis, Metro 2033, Alan Wake, Sleeping Dogs, Dirt Showdown, Sniper Elite V2, Witcher 2, Anno 2070, Serious Sam 3, etc.

I think this sets up a more interesting race between HD8000 series and GTX700. We'll find out tomorrow if NV is faster in Medal of Honor Warfighter or if AMD fixed its issues in Frostbite 2.0. Keep in mind Nexuiz is a CryEngine game and while NV was faster in Crysis 2 initially, once AMD got access to CryEngine, AMD is now faster in Crysis 2 and Nexuiz, both based on CryEngine. I think the performance is very much impacted by who gets access to early code and optimizes for it and NV did it much better than AMD for BF3

Hopefully NV will respond with lower prices, its own game bundles or driver improvements. Great to see fierce competition for gamer's dollars this holiday season :)

well at least now amd drivers team are doing good job i hope they keeping doing that so nvidia should price drop

Hope that they Don't Fall Into That Layoff :)

It was mentioned in some article that the driver was targeting memory and shader optimizations, that's all they made with this new version. Seems like it worked pretty well.

I think HD 7970 and GTX 680 prices should have levelled out by now but at the moment in the UK, AMDs are averaging £50 cheaper and have just prolonged upgrade cycles.

In terms of perceived gameplay performance there isn't much separation with a typical 1080p display, more reasons to choose AMD for 1600p or triple-head gaming for the additional 1GB framebuffer.

Talk about added value; I'd let my wallet make the choice and it would be AMD this time despite previous experience/concerns with their drivers.

AMD have really stepped up their game, the last big driver update from Nvidia that gave me a good boost of 15% were the 304.48 betas. That fixed manufacturers factory overclocked card running at lower clocks and an issue with vcore. In fairness I have to mention I haven't tested Nvidia latest 310.33 beta drivers which were released soon after. Nvidia's release is probably coincidence because it's been a whole month since the latest beta.