geeman

RX VEGA or GTX 1080ti with Fresync Monitor

5 posts in this topic

Guy am in a fix here,

I recently bought a samsung 100hz curved UWQHD monitor. so am back in the market to upgrade my GPU from RX 480 to a capable one.  am currently waiting for the RX Vega 64 air cooled. The problem is that if it sells above $499 should I consider GTx 1080ti instead? , will freesync be an issue for 1080ti at max settings. 

Depends how desperate are you to buy a new card. I would avoid reference design, because are often inferior to custom cards. So if you can wait till September, grab Vega, otherwise find a cheap 1080 Ti and you should be just as happy.

Also take freesync frequency range into consideration. Not all monitors are the same.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:56 PM, geeman said:

Guy am in a fix here,

I recently bought a samsung 100hz curved UWQHD monitor. so am back in the market to upgrade my GPU from RX 480 to a capable one.  am currently waiting for the RX Vega 64 air cooled. The problem is that if it sells above $499 should I consider GTx 1080ti instead? , will freesync be an issue for 1080ti at max settings. 

I'm in the same predicament. I recently bought the C32GH70 (HDR/144hz/Freesync2/1440p) Monitor & now I never want to play games in 1080p, because it looks terrible stretched out on a 2560x1440 display. So all games I must now run @ 2k. Unfortunately, I have to compromise on settings details to stay above 60fps @ 1440p. I want to get over 100FPS on High detail! (for at least a few years to come). 

Making matters worst my new PC only has an i5-7400... So I'm hoping I can just toss the RX480 (but keep the i5-7400, until I build a new PC, years to come), and get either a 1080ti or Vega64 until then? 

I'd get a 1080Ti and Vsync it

I have a 4k Freesync monitor, so it will go from 40-60 Hz. I just built a fantastic new 1800x Ryzen rig with all the best. I have been waiting for months and months for the Vega 64 Liquid cooled. Then they said it would be $699 when we all know it's price should be $599. I was still going to buy it. Then I waited some more. Then I went everywhere I could the nano-second the cards were released and could not source one. After a couple more days I just gave up. They bungled this launch so hard, and I am all for AMD ...

I caved. If I was going to spend $700+ for a Vega 64, I might as well plunk down an extra $100 to get the fastest consumer card I could. I bought an MSI 1080 ti Seahawk (liquid hybrid) to keep the noise down like the Vega. It's not going to freesync, but that should be less of an issue with a 1080ti. By the time they have high refresh rate 4K monitors that this card won't drive, maybe AMD will have their act together.

I'll be happy to follow up on my level of satisfaction. I've never purchased an NVIDIA aftermarket card before. Always been ATI/AMD.