7 posts in this topic

Cheers! I feel this might be a better forum to ask than for instance on Toms Hardware. So I've had my R9 390 for what... Two years now? I have had a steady overclock on it for a long time, but about a month or so ago, it started failing on me. The card would go really hot (actually not that extreme, core temp said about 80C, but the back of the card felt way hotter), so my solution was to go back on stock clocks AND to make a custom fan curve, where the fans would go to 100% at around 72C core temp. That was the only way to keep it stable, after extensive testing. 

BUT now, just two days ago, the GPU crashed while playing R6 Siege. When trying to reboot, there was so signal - fans were not spinning, and the little blue sapphire logo on the side didn't light up. I swapped it for a R9 280 I had laying, and that did work. 

So my question here now is - do you think I could try some stuff out to breathe life back into the R9 390? I'm going to buy some AMD Vega card when released, but I was actually planning on using this R9 390 for mining. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! 

Have you tried booting with integrated GPU or with secondary GPU to see if the 390 is even detected in the system?

Such errors are either very easy to fix or your card is simply dead. Maybe there's a problem with the power cable from PSU? 

You can try removing the cooler and looking for blown capacitors, any spots something could've burned etc. Maybe it has dual-BIOS so you can see if the primary got corrupted? 

Just throwing ideas. 

BTW I wonder how Vega will perform in R6 Siege -_-

Those are actually really good suggestions! I will try them out tomorrow, indeed. Though I do believe it to be hopeless, as there doesn't seem to be any current going through the card at all - no fans, no light, no warmth. 

On the other hand, I talked to my colleagues at the support og the hardware shop where I work. They were pretty certain I can send it for repair, and have it covered by the guarantee. (Garanti/reklamasjon in Norway is pretty good, in total it covers all electrics for 5 years). Given they don't *test* for overclocks, but how would they do that on a supposedly dead card? Also, that's why I won't try your suggestion of removing the fan, as I believe I will actually get a new one for free if I don't screw up ;)

God I hope Vega succeeds... Let's pray drivers rise performance in general by 50%

5 years of warranty is really good. I wasn't expecting that you are still covered by warranty at this point. 

I don't think overclocking is a problem, otherwise Sapphire would not offer TRIXX software for this very purpose.

Also, I would be surprised if they still had a replacement. Gaming Hawaii is EOL.

Hah yes, I'm worried about what an apparent replacement might be too. R9 390 is a *little* bit more powerful than RX 480, so.... Maybe I'll get an ES of a Vega card! YES. 

Well, just to update what happened in case anyone would be interested: Komplett.no service verified the card, and yes - I will be returned the original sum I payed! The answer was that no matching card exists, so I got refunded 3499,- NOK (425 USD). 

Now I'm not entirely sure whether I should buy an overpriced, used R9 390/395 or RX 580 to replace my now lost R9 390, to start mining Ethereum - OR if I should keep the money and instead spend it on a Vega XT when available. 

(I think I'm leaning to the latter, though... Makes more sense today, doesn't it? Even though I have a computer laying with an i5 3570k to start mining...) 

Personally, I would recommend you that you keep that 425 USD because mining Ether with one graphics card is not really profitable. You can calculate it, but personally, I would wait on Vega.