RajeshRD

Clarity on my AMD 335 Graphics Card

3 posts in this topic

HI, I bought a new Dell I7 5000 laptop which has AMD Radeon R5 M335 and Intel HD graphics but the AMD M335 graphics says memory as 2 GB whereas the seller had mentioned graphics memory as 4 GB, can someone please clarify if this is a fraud or is the system expected to have 2 GB in the Intel HD graphics ?
If it does not have 4 GB then I need to return this laptop asap, much appreciated...

AMD-M335_Card_Memory.png

Some AMD GPUs are shown with more memory if they are used together with AMD CPUs (in dual graphics mode). But since you mentioned Intel HD graphics, then it's probably based on AMD GPU and Intel CPU. In that case, it's a 2GB card. You can also check the reading with GPU-Z.

Hi RajesgRD, based upon the M335 (Tonga, released June 2015) using GDDR3 and 1070MHz clock it's certainly a 2GB GPU as you quickly gathered, I doubt the information within AMD CCC is wrong but worth checking with GPU-Z (post to download link) than relying on one tool alone as that is more than good enough.

The M335 is noted by AMD to go "up to" 4GB but I found that 2GB M335 was more common at low-end but ofc manufacturers have flexibility depending on their range - exact specifications MUST be given and be accurate at the time it's publicly available to avoid undue stress . (email them + keep everything written down of what you are doing, never use the phone, to keep the complaint official) Therefore as it features only 2GB VRAM it doesn't fit your needs and depending on the time you purchased this item which is normally 30-days, you are entitled to full refund or free replacement (factory sealed and not a refurbished unit) until you are satisfied. At no point (depending on your consumer rights in your region but noted you are from UK same as me) should you normally be expected to return the item at your costs, it's up to them to pick it up unless you are happy to be refunded P&P costs. As you are returning the item, the period for returns is paused and can be return again until they rectify their mistake otherwise once the normal period for returns is over you lose your right to full refund/replacement and likely will only receive a refurbished unit. The onus is on them. Again, this depends on your regional laws but most of this applies nonetheless.

On the Intel website (direct link) they do note the Inspiron 17 5000 features 4GB VRAM: "MD Radeon R5 M335 4GB DDR3". Amazon also list (link #1 / link #2) the 4GB M335, 

For reference here's the Videocardz database entry: https://videocardz.net/amd-radeon-r5-m335/

Since you mention it was sold promising 4GB video memory then iGPU doesn't count as you can only pair with dedicated GPU if it was an AMD APU, in any case pairing them brings very little gains to performance.