MostLikelyKim

Card not detected after updating

3 posts in this topic

I have a XiaoMi Air 13, its rocking an Intel i3-6200u(2.3GHZ base), Nvidia 940mx 1GB, 8gb DDR4, 256 Msata SSD(I think)

I updated the 940mx with the latest drivers from Nvidia( 375.95), installed it using express settings and after installing it, I went to device manager and noticed that there was a "!" on the card, so I went and restart my pc thinking it was because i was that. But to my surprise, my card didnt show up, instead there was a new component called "3D Video Controller". I tried launching the nvidia driver installer again, but couldn't because my card was not detected. I tried installing a fresh copy of windows but still it shows up as "3D Video Controller". I tried contacting Nvidia about this but they told me this problem was out of their hands.

Someone please help me, I got literally got this laptop a month ago.

You should use Display Driver Uninstaller and clean your system from older drivers. Then download the latest driver for notebooks and try to install it again. 

If that doesn't help, then 940MX in MI Air may have a different Device ID, therefore it's not being detected. Try using driver from XIAOMI 

http://cdn.fds.api.xiaomi.com/b2c-webfile/service/download/r13/VGA_nVidia_v10.18.13.5954.zip

http://en.miui.com/thread-318018-1-1.html

Notebooks like your XiaoMi are much like MS Surface where they're using custom GPU, probably uses different DEVID than what's widely available from Nvidia as WhyCry mentioned. Often you're recommended to visit the manufacturers website for drivers that specifically support your device. Sometimes these drivers can lag way behind release times of the latest drivers but they are very reliable.

Worth mentioning that express install for some PCs can be buggy, even a few versions back express install caused issues when updating drivers but the latest as you mentioned did fix this. If we presume that the drivers are dirty (ie, been a while since cleaning out old drivers properly), I'd follow WhyCry's advice to uninstall normally THEN restart in safemode - I personally use msconfig > boot > safe boot (minimal) to run and clean out any Nvidia drivers then restart when prompted.

Let us know how you get on :)