Shinobi84

Wait for 1080TI or take Titanxp?

15 posts in this topic

Hi to all, now ive a gtx970 (emergency card) i come from a sli of 980ti and i play on a rog in 1440p.Can you suggest next card/s?

i7 5820k and 16gb ddr4

regards

Monitor resolution?

Depends mainly on if $1200 per card (ref cooler) is no big deal to you cos it is asking a lot otherwise wait, I'd still recommend on waiting for custom 1080 Ti's for better performance.

My 980 Ti's performance are equivalent to an XP and did consider one but VRAM has been sufficient for 1440p, which is why I'm happy waiting for 1080 TI's. Anyway, if you're into DX12 titles note there are only about 8 (iirc) and performance has been on par with DX11, often worse than DX11 API with quirky bugs. Has to be baked into the engine than slapped on. I look at DX12 the same as W10, something I can live without :)

Around November until we know more, ie main site. Any delays would benefit AMD's increasing market share with VEGA10 launching Feb/Mar '17. Remember both AMD and Nvidia have issues with supplies, so pre-order if possible (more so with annoying store price-gauging thanks to poor regional allocations).

So you think vega launched on feb 17?Or 2XXX series...?I see whycry post rumors...i dunno what i do!

1080 Ti may be announced first and will be the faster card because Nvidia isn't taking this lying down with their clock/watt advantage (Maxwell=Pascal on 16nm with higher stock clocks plus very generous OC potential) that AMD can't match which you really need to compete. If you wait for 20 series you'll be waiting for the next one, that's the crutch of keeping a close watch on gossip and be forever waiting, yet never deciding ;)

I initially rumoured before even the XP was announced that 1080TI would cost $899 - I got the XP $1200 pricing right (I was $1 off with $1199!).

Anything more solid and latest developments will ofc be reported by WhyCry.

7 hours ago, Shinobi84 said:

So you think vega launched on feb 17?Or 2XXX series...?I see whycry post rumors...i dunno what i do!

Where did you get this date from? :) No one knows when it launches exactly. One could guess we get a preview later this year, maybe a paper launch of some sort, but nothing concrete I'm afraid. 

If you still  have 980 TI SLI as you said, then I would find it strange to upgrade from 980 ti SLI to 1060..

Just wait for pascal refresh (the 1080Ti) and spend your money on something that is worth the penny.

There is an error i think, ive selled the sli and ive 970 and 1060 for help me on gaming :P if you say wait i wait for good news :D

Well in that case, 1060 is better ;) 1060 6GB is more than enough for 1440p medium/high settings in most games, at least I had no performance issues myself. 

Next year you can start thinking about triple 1440p or 21:9 gaming and of course new GPUs ;) 

13 hours ago, WhyCry said:

Well in that case, 1060 is better ;) 1060 6GB is more than enough for 1440p medium/high settings in most games, at least I had no performance issues myself. 

Next year you can start thinking about triple 1440p or 21:9 gaming and of course new GPUs ;) 

ive the 1060 3gb lost only 5 fps of 6gb :) and i play on a rog ips 27" gsync...wait and hype for the 1080ti? :D

At the time when I was testing 1060 3GB I was playing on 1440p monitor, just like you, and 1060 3GB was simply not enough to handle higher resolution textures. I would recommend getting 6GB version, but since you've already bought one, then I guess you have no choice now :)

I've noted over the years that some games - were the latest releases at the time - can be funny with cards with lower VRAM despite using higher settings where the textures are obviously lower in detail and flipping between texture presets doesn't make that much of a difference. Some games require restarting to truly kick in despite what the menu says.

If you want to try this, get near a save point or ideally quicksave: Grabs the likes of Fraps and capture in PNG format with your normal settings on 3GB card then adjust textures to low and medium (restart game) to compare screenshots. Continue doing this for the other games you play to verify graphics are changing and impacting performance. Some games on certain surfaces don't use higher quality textures, so find the ones that do change, ie walls/floors. Most games can use around 2.6GB at 1440p, but also use GPUz (with logging enabled and only VRAM selected) to verify additional VRAM caching with it being so close, the engine may use scaling or again the preset may not kick in which is why I'd check - lazy way would be to use MSI Afterburner ;)

Ive mounted the 1060 3gb for fhd gaming without compromise, waiting for 1080ti...!