Seizmos

A star or a scientist (A new GPU for my rig)

7 posts in this topic

So guys, I've built a budget rig a few months back based on Intel Skylake.
The components are:

MB: MSI H110M Pro-VD DDR4;
CPU: i5 6500;
RAM: DDR4 2x8GB 2133MHz Kingston Savage;
PSU: Corsair RM750i
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

I have saved for some time for the machine and couldn't wait any longer to scrape more cash for the GPU, so I went and bought all of this to use with my old R9 270X :). Now I've managed to save up ~$400 AUD (~300 USD) and want to start playing new Deus Ex during my vacation in two weeks :). So, as the topic title says the choice is between a star (Polaris) and a scientist (Pascal) - see what I did here :D.
This is my first choice, and currently my favorite - MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GT OC. The card seems more than capable according to the reviews, proving that it might be more than a decent upgrade and for that I'm ready to those $30 over my budget (which I can get by selling my 270X)

The second choice is the AMD RX480 8/4G - Sapphire Radeon RX 480 NITRO+ 4GB/8GB - there are cheaper ones, but I like this Nitro model and have had good experience with Sapphire.

This is where things get "interesting". I have a 1080p monitor which I don't plan to upgrade any time soon so I don't know if I go and save a few $ on VRAM, will it be able to cope with newer games. And, what is worse, according to the reviews I don't think that it's worth the price difference compared to the GTX1060.

I have always been a fan of ATI, but, this might be the year when an nVidia finds it's way into my case. Basically what I need here are personal experiences from the owners of both cards. I've read bunch of online reviews and some favor AMD some nVidia... i don't trust them anymore :D

Apologies for the extensive post, but, I learned that it is easier to give all of the information immediately.

MSI card is really interesting choice, but you need to know that it's really cheap quality. It lacks few features from more high-end cards like 0dB tech, memory cooling pads etc. Still, it's a good choice for casual gaming.

Now.. are 8GB really necessary. I think it's a waste of money for 1080p screen. I would probably not recommend 3GB 1060, but 6GB should be enough. I didn't test 4GB RX480, but from what I know it should be just slightly slower than 8GB. The only problem is that those cards are hard to get.

If I were you, I would wait for DX12 benchmarks of Deus Ex. Patch should be released soon, and you will get better idea what to expect from Polaris with DX12 in this game. 

It was a general problem to get a hold of a custom 480 here, let alone 4GB one yes. Don't know, should I maybe take 470 into consideration? It is even below my budget and only a few % slower than 480 as I see. 
Also, the noise is not a problem :) when the card gets hot and loud, those are usually moment when I have my Pioneer SE-M521 on the head ;)
If the patch doesn't come out by September 16th i won't wait any longer, since my vacation starts then :)

RX 480 is generally hard to get, but I wouldn't settle with RX 470. It's a good card, but at this point I would grab 1060 3GB.

Don't rush buying anything that is just available. Give it a good thought, and grab the card that you find the best looking (I mean really, there's not much difference between high-end cards these days). 

If you're going to play newer games (especially those with DX12) then RX480 will be better card for you. Otherwise, 1060 6GB is the way to go.

For 1080p either would be fine. More GB is better for recent games and high settings.

If you can afford the MSI 6GB version 1060 then go for it. It's the best bang for the buck at aud$430.

After a long delay, some problems came up for me, I've finally bought myself the new card. I wasn't impressed by the performance gains in DE:MD with the DX12 patch and have decided to go for raw power that will deliver what I need immediately, rather than next year or the year after.
About the card itself, it is great! I have seen massive performance gains compared tho the 270X. As for the quality of it... well, it is not the best, there is some coil whine present while the card is under high stress, but nothing too loud. Also the fans are quite ok, not to loud and they dissipate heat quite good.
Overall I'm satisfied with the card and I think it was worth the extra $30.

DCIM_2213.jpg

Glad you found your card, that's a good choice, but I'm surprised to hear it has a coil whine.

I would expect better quality from the most expensive MSI series...

I've been using 1060 6GB for about a month, and I can honestly say it's more than enough for 1080p gaming (I wouldn't say the same thing about 3GB model though).