AmazingTechVR

Those were the days...

9 posts in this topic

Those were the days...

I'm the type of gamer that likes to stick with a game and get the value out of what I purchase. So constructing the following list was fairly easy. It's not all the games I've played at all. There are some other old gems I can remember.

DOOM (1993), Quake (1996), Duke Nukem 3D (1996), Black Hawk Down (2003), Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising (2004), JO: Escalations (2004), Battlefield 2 (2005), Bad Company 2 (2010), BF3 (2011), then BF4 (Oct 2013) and now SQUAD (Dec 2015).

• 1993 - DOOM on the Commodore Amiga I think when I was 15 years old. Around this time is when I was first introduced to dialup internet too with mIRC.
• 1995-97 were my college days, I remember playing lots of Quake and Duke Nukem 3D as my 1st multiplayer FPS games within IT lessons lol.
• 2003 March - Black Hawk Down my real online multiplayer FPS experience.
• 2004 June - Joint Operations Typhoon Rising with 150 players online, this was absolutely nuts! I am still haunted by the unlimited ammo of the grenade launchers on the jeeps which spammed across the maps.
• 2004 November - Joint Operations Escalation my first taste of DLC? lol
• 2005 June - Battlefield 2. I had to wait a long time because I had just moved to Germany, had no internet for 6 months. 
• 2010 March - Bad Company 2 with it's LOUD and amazing sounds and hazy bloom graphics.
• 2011 October - Battlefield 3 the demise of DICE and their failed launch. Such a bad release and took them a long time to fix major issues.
• 2013 October - Battlefield 4 another failed launch and took 2 years to start to fix the huge netcode issues introducing 60Hz servers 
• 2015 December - SQUAD oh hello there!

• 2016 June - I now have a HTC Vive, it's epic, but we need more content and mods to get other games working in VR.

• Honourable mentions:

EVE Online I spent 5 1/2 years playing and streaming this January-December 2013. I had 4.6K viewers tuned in as I streamed the largest online spaceship fights. I spent an entire year between jobs and being single streaming these battles 24/7 and alarm clocking for late US timezone fights. This was on my old PC too which was starting to go a bit funny after streaming and playing on it for a whole year without hardly turning it off.

Commodore AMIGA 500 - Cannon Fodder and The Settlers.

Oh and everyone says it, I look a lot younger lol... I am actually 38 years old this year. Proof given above! 

Your post reminded me about mIRC. I remember those days, it was so interesting to talk to people hundreds of km away. Now, we can talk to people thousands of kms away and no one even notices. 

I was born too late to experience Amiga popularity, but I played most of the games you mentioned on PC. The first FPS i ever played was Wolfenstein 3D, then Doom and Duke Nukem 3D, it was actually the first game I played with real mouse support. I wasn't really a fan of Quake at the time. 

I can't imagine it's been 6 years since bad company 2 came out. Such an amazing game, hundreds of hours spent. Hopefully BF1 will be much better than BF4 at launch, otherwise I might not come back to those series. 

Between 2003-6 I didn't really play any other game than Americas Army. Then COD4 took all my attention. 

1 hour ago, WhyCry said:

Your post reminded me about mIRC. I remember those days, it was so interesting to talk to people hundreds of km away. Now, we can talk to people thousands of kms away and no one even notices. 

I was born too late to experience Amiga popularity, but I played most of the games you mentioned on PC. The first FPS i ever played was Wolfenstein 3D, then Doom and Duke Nukem 3D, it was actually the first game I played with real mouse support. I wasn't really a fan of Quake at the time. 

I can't imagine it's been 6 years since bad company 2 came out. Such an amazing game, hundreds of hours spent. Hopefully BF1 will be much better than BF4 at launch, otherwise I might not come back to those series. 

Between 2003-6 I didn't really play any other game than Americas Army. Then COD4 took all my attention. 

I think I might skip BF1 and call it quits. I said that with BF3, but then BF4 promised the world and again such a fail launch. I put the game down for a few months until something got fixed. I just don't see anything amazing from BF1. We will see, but I'm happy with SQUAD for the pure teamwork involved. Enough to get me to join a clan after about 10 years of playing solo.

COD4 is Modern Warfare 2 right? I played that, but was the only one I liked from COD franchise. COD:WAW with zombies on LAN was fun too. Other COD's are just too much spawn and die on small maps without teamwork :P

COD4 was MW1, the same one they are 'remastering' now. MW2 was good too, but once they started releasing new games on the same engine I lost my interested in paying 50 USD just for new maps. 

I didn't play Squad too much. Spent 20 minutes wandering in the forest only to find 3 enemies in the bushes. Of course killed them all, but then I spent another 5 minutes looking for new enemy :P 

For me Squad and ARMA are too realistic. COD is too fast and BF is just about what I expect from multiplayer FPS. Times when I could spare few hours for serious games are gone, now it's all casual. That's why I play R6 Siege pretty much all the time now. 

14 hours ago, WhyCry said:

COD4 was MW1, the same one they are 'remastering' now. MW2 was good too, but once they started releasing new games on the same engine I lost my interested in paying 50 USD just for new maps. 

I didn't play Squad too much. Spent 20 minutes wandering in the forest only to find 3 enemies in the bushes. Of course killed them all, but then I spent another 5 minutes looking for new enemy :P 

For me Squad and ARMA are too realistic. COD is too fast and BF is just about what I expect from multiplayer FPS. Times when I could spare few hours for serious games are gone, now it's all casual. That's why I play R6 Siege pretty much all the time now. 

20 minutes? Man you must have got lost lol. Vehicles coming end of July, that's going to be a complete game changer.

3 hours ago, MadAni said:

20 minutes? Man you must have got lost lol. Vehicles coming end of July, that's going to be a complete game changer.

I have Squad too, but I don't use(have) mic, the game is ok but it's far from Project Reality was...

4 hours ago, Skr13 said:

I have Squad too, but I don't use(have) mic, the game is ok but it's far from Project Reality was...

Early Access, give them time. Their updates are practically every month. They're all from PR and trying to make a good mixture between PR, BF and Arma.

Didn't know Doom was on Amiga otherwise I would've bought it (played it first MS-DOS and LAN and loved it!), can't remember the one I had but it didn't have the most amount of RAM and why I couldn't run Championship Manager full database sadly. Other classics I enjoyed/remembered were SWOS, Sim City 2000 (3000 played on PC), various pinball titles, and Lemmings. Sometimes emulate these older games since modding adds or fixes content, plus you get faster loading/saving.

First game I may have played online over dial up was the first Halo and it was terrible with tons of stutters and high pings all round, was a new difficulty all in itself ;) Played Quake online as that's the natural progression from playing Doom way too much and custom maps. Way back then my CPU was only 400MHz and zero GPU or soundcard, hello midi!

Although I'm a hardcore gamer I enjoy playing for fun and didn't get into competitive play until 2004 with CS:S, later COD4:MW and TF2. Friends got me into BF 2142 (2006) and frankly that wasn't my cup of tea, not until 2010 with BF:BC2 (also competitive) that I really enjoy the game that many still enjoy today. Also played BF Heroes FTP very early access and not far off from what BF1 looks like :P Very much on the fence with BF1 and will likely skip it to keep playing BF3/BF4/CSGO. BF3 was very enjoyable but going by my playtime for BF4 not so much for that. Friends were fatigued with BF - agree there were too many issues yet for some reason we persisted for a while - they went back to favourites or tried out streaming. Not as dedicated as you were MadAni.

Way too many other games to mention cos I'm quite the hoarder that dabbles and got a lot of invites ;) Avoided the MMORPG era, same with VR cos I can't do 3D and the fact your body isn't moving makes me nauseous.

On 01/07/2016 at 9:50 PM, SMiThaYe said:

Didn't know Doom was on Amiga otherwise I would've bought it (played it first MS-DOS and LAN and loved it!), can't remember the one I had but it didn't have the most amount of RAM and why I couldn't run Championship Manager full database sadly. Other classics I enjoyed/remembered were SWOS, Sim City 2000 (3000 played on PC), various pinball titles, and Lemmings. Sometimes emulate these older games since modding adds or fixes content, plus you get faster loading/saving.

First game I may have played online over dial up was the first Halo and it was terrible with tons of stutters and high pings all round, was a new difficulty all in itself ;) Played Quake online as that's the natural progression from playing Doom way too much and custom maps. Way back then my CPU was only 400MHz and zero GPU or soundcard, hello midi!

Although I'm a hardcore gamer I enjoy playing for fun and didn't get into competitive play until 2004 with CS:S, later COD4:MW and TF2. Friends got me into BF 2142 (2006) and frankly that wasn't my cup of tea, not until 2010 with BF:BC2 (also competitive) that I really enjoy the game that many still enjoy today. Also played BF Heroes FTP very early access and not far off from what BF1 looks like :P Very much on the fence with BF1 and will likely skip it to keep playing BF3/BF4/CSGO. BF3 was very enjoyable but going by my playtime for BF4 not so much for that. Friends were fatigued with BF - agree there were too many issues yet for some reason we persisted for a while - they went back to favourites or tried out streaming. Not as dedicated as you were MadAni.

Way too many other games to mention cos I'm quite the hoarder that dabbles and got a lot of invites ;) Avoided the MMORPG era, same with VR cos I can't do 3D and the fact your body isn't moving makes me nauseous.

I pretty much remember all of the games you listed above. I could reel off an entire Amiga top games lists which I spent many years playing. The nostalgia is real! I also played BF:2142, it wasn't bad, but just felt too different. The mechs/walkers were cool and the jump pods.