ZoSo

Live in the US? No Worries About Voiding Warranties!!!

2 posts in this topic

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/warranty-void-if-removed-stickers-are-illegal?trk_source=homepage-lede

"What almost no one knows is that these stickers and clauses are illegal under a federal law passed in 1975 called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. To be clear, federal law says you can open your electronics without voiding the warranty, regardless of what the language of that warranty says. "

"Manufacturers threaten to do things they cannot do legally but 99.9 percent of consumers have no idea of their actual rights"

However, warranty conditions that forbid consumers from opening or repairing their devices are illegal under a provision of the 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that forbids “tying,” meaning the conditions of the warranty “tie” the consumer to using a specific service or specific types of parts, experts told Motherboard.

“Apple and others have crafty attorneys that know darned well that Magnuson-Moss exists as do anti-trust laws against ‘tying agreements.’ The contracts are very clever and appear to be within the law—but are anything but in practice,” Gay Gordon-Byrne, executive director of the Repair Association, a group lobbying for right to repair laws around the country, told me. “Manufacturers threaten to do things they cannot do legally but 99.9 percent of consumers have no idea of their actual rights.”

Interesting read, but is it true??  Can I open up a HTC Vive or MS HoloLens and not void the warranty???  lol

I wonder if similar laws exist in other countries that could also protect modders?

Edited by ZoSo

That article was thorough and covered a lot of interesting points others have experienced. If the consumer was unsure they generally cave in and either pay or buy device because they are too busy aka lazy ;)

Huge corporations simply don't trust us to want to give in to reason. They add stickers or sensors (Apple use paper that detects water) to use as a yardstick to void a warranty and avoid paying for costly repairs as they'd much prefer you buy a new device or do without. It's a self-service to protect a good revenue stream with official repairs. Some repairs come in at half the cost of the RRP even on devices just out of warranty, I always advise to haggle over and don't ever accept their first offer if you go down this path.

I've heard that paying third parties for repairs voided warranties and this is frankly this is ridiculous so some common sense on this matter enshrined in law is what is required to protect consumers from extortion of multi-billion dollar companies. Recall a company (could be Apple again) deliberately bricking devices (via firmware/iOS) because you didn't use official services. Most stick warnings or T&Cs are rubbish and try to appear to superseed long-established laws, some laws require invoking to protect certain consumer rights on returns on period for returns so it's well worth checking your rights and contact a consumer rights organisation if unsure.

Not sure about US law on this or even European (UK law: Consumer Rights Act 2015) because of all the changes the past 3 years to consumer legislation and clarity is needed. Say if you took apart a device and access was relatively easy, ie not using dollops of superglue, so long as you take care and don't break the screen or antennae for wifi/4G for example you should be okay. If you did break anything because they use too much superglue we should sue them :P Replacing parts with equivalents should be fine in my books. Repair ratings can be hit and miss, worth checking out those sites for guides.