pupseba

gtx1080 custom models worth it?

3 posts in this topic

Hi!

So, I see that MSI has an X series and a Z series. EVGA have different clock speeds for different SKUs, and so and so.

Being that all of them have the very same processor and memory technology. I wonder, should I buy "the most overclocked one" or could I just buy the cheapest I found (MSI X atm), add it an ekwb waterblock (announced to be released here https://www.ekwb.com/news/official-list-of-ek-water-blocks-for-gtx-1080-series/) and then overclock it myself with the same speeds and voltages the other cards have? I mean, does it work like that at all? I thinking things that could go wrong:

- Card may not be prepared to work with those voltages needed for overclocking
- It may need more power connectors
- Waterblock may keep cool the processor but not be as effective over other components like original fan block

Idk...as you may see, im no expert. Any help is welcome!

Thanks,
Seb

You should buy the cheapest custom card you can find. It won't matter at this point which card you will buy, since all cards are currently overclockable to 2050 - 2080 MHz. 

To see the actual difference between those custom designs, you have to wait for modded BIOSes. 

So at this point it's a matter of taste (which card looks better to you), how noisy those coolers are, do you need LED illumination etc. 

Also check how long is the warranty valid, ZOTAC has 5y in EU from what I remember. 

I would be looking at the power delivery design on each card if you are going to invest in watercooling + overclocking.  Most of the mid to high end AIBs have 1.5-2x the number of power phases and the MSI Gaming X has been shown to deliver the most consistent performance (Google it) due to its superior design.  The downside is the MSI is one of the most expensive models...  Def wait and see the new Gigabyte Xtreme (price, performance) . 

Edited by ZoSo