pdub11

Problem ejecting nvidia geforce gt 430

12 posts in this topic

I have a GT 430 card and was originally using the VGA connector but switched to HDMI since then when watching Windows Media Center (on windows 7 32-bit) the screen goes black and when I RDP into the PC I see the message “problem ejecting nvidia geforce gt 430”

I googled the error and found there was a driver update version 361.82 that was supposed to fix the problem but it did not so I downloaded the latest driver version 365.10 and the problem has even gotten worse.

For now, I have uninstalled all of the Nvidia software and drivers and let windows redetect the card and it installed the native windows driver which is not ideal and I assume will not fix the problem but I am running out of ideas.

Are there any other recommends or ideas for me to try?

Thank You,

I remember reading about this error (card ejection message). Well my first thought would be to revert to older driver.

Since GT 430 is not the latest graphics card around, I would definitely recommenced using older WHQL driver that you found working. 

I suppose you are not playing many games on this card, so using latest drivers is probably not recommended. 

Just use the last driver that worked for you.  In fact windows driver should work for you too. 

WhyCry's advise is good. It was driver version 361.75 that introduced this bug back in January 2016 so you could try 361.60 hotfix (forum link) or earlier drivers as they still support your series.

361.82 was a hotfix specifically for the eject problem which caused it to show for everyone. Anyway, you have to clean out that driver as unlike WHQL/Beta you should extra steps. I'd normally uninstall all Nvidia components, reboot when prompted, and get back to desktop, then when you install the latest driver for your card (365.10 WHQL located on our forum) select advance install and run a clean install.

If that fails (create a system backup first) clean out all remnants of drivers installed by uninstalling all Nvidia components again, reboot when prompted, then grab DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller located here) and only run this is safe mode. Nvidia will already be selected, again it warns to run in safe mode if you're not, then select "Clean and restart". Once back at your desktop outside of safemode you can install Nvidia drivers with advance install and a clean install.

Thanks for the responses. It was working for a while tonight using the windows driver I believe then the screen went black again so I looked at the driver and it looks like the system automatically updated it to version 358.91 (11/5/2015).

Since this is an early version of the driver that the bug showed up in it is probably not related to the driver,

I think my next step is to take apart the HTPC and confirm the connections are clean.  If that doesn’t work maybe also uninstall the Nvidia drivers again, install the native windows driver and disable the automatic update of the drivers.

Alternatively you could try using live linux CD like ubuntu. HDMI output should work and you don';t have to reinstall anything. Just burn one DVD and give it a try.

Otherwise you may try using one of the 'driver cleaner' solutions to remove any trace of the old drivers.

When should the heat sink fan on the GT 430 card come on? I rebuilt the PC and noticed that the fan wasn’t coming on when the problem reoccurred and I decided to take the card out to clean the connections and maybe try another slot.

It looks like the problem only happens when watching recorded TV with any program and not anytime else or watching movies which made me think that is was a software related problem not hardware.

But now I am thinking it is a hardware problem since the fan on the card isn’t coming on and it is time to replace the card since it is  probably about 4 years old. It is an odd but frustrating problem.

I need to research the types of video cards. Is there one you would recommend? I just need something that is low profile to fit in one slot. Since I am not gaming I am sure something basic will work.

I was thinking one of these:

ASUS GeForce GT 210 589MHZ 1GB 1.2GHZ DDR3 Silent Low Profile DVI HDMI PCI-E Video Card

http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-geforce-gt-210-589mhz-9d-59244.htm

ASUS Radeon HD 6450 Low Profile 625MHZ 1GB 1.2GHZ GDDR3 DVI HDMI VGA PCI-E Video Card

http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-radeon-hd-6450-low-8b-66802.htm

You are willing to downgrade your GPU to 200 series? Well I think you should look at recently announced GT 710, it was released just few weeks ago.

QklJux7.jpg

http://www.ncix.com/detail/evga-gt-710-2gb-ddr3-f9-125566.htm

It should be more than enough for your need. 

You can also look for used GT 750 (~100 USD) if you ever want to make it more powerful.

There are easy ways to repair broken fans, but it may not always be a permanent solution.

Thanks for the response. Since my last post I have been researching HTPC video cards and was also considering GT730 since it is an upgrade from the two Asus cards I was originally considering.

PNY GeForce GT 730 1GB PCIe GDDR5 DVI+ Vgai + HDMI Graphic Card

http://www.ncix.com/detail/pny-geforce-gt-730-1gb-69-128287.htm

When I compare the GT710 you recommend with the GT730 on gpuboss.com the GT 710 comes out the winner, is cheaper and has 2Gb DDR3 of memory vs. 1Gb GDDR5.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree going with the GT710 vs. GT730?

Until I get the new card I will research it is possible temporarily repair the fan on the old card.

Thanks again for any input.

GT730 for 100 USD is waste of money, you can get used 750 for similar price at ebay, which is much better deal.

GT710 is simply the cheapest option, and relatively new.

Thanks for the comments. I agree and will order at GT710.

Glad we could help, keep us posted how your new card performs.

Thanks for your assistance. I bought the GT710 and have been using it in my HTPC for just over a week now without any problems. I just needed to buy a HDMI to HDMI mini cable.

I took the fan off the old card to see if I could oil it and fix it but it is completely seized and not worth replacing. I assume over time it was over heating which would eventually cause the failure.