SMiThaYe

(GamePressure) Ubisoft recycled Far Cry 4’s map in Far Cry Primal?

4 posts in this topic

(GamePressure) Ubisoft recycled Far Cry 4’s map in Far Cry Primal?

HsmqZEEm.png

Game guide website GamePressure has highlighted what they say are striking similarities between Far Cry 4 (I found to be an enjoyable game) and Far Cry Primal (snore-feast) that suggests the layout was reused.

We can’t say that for certain, but there is some evidence pointing to the fact that Ubisoft might have recycled the map from Far Cry 4 and used it in Far Cry Primal. You could argue that it’s just a coincidence, but it’s hard to say what was the idea behind that decision – especially since the Himalayas and Central Europe are thousands kilometers apart.

For any studio, they often recycle assets but creativity often means the differences offer an engaging new experience in a franchise or standalone title. Primal, set in 10,000 BC, offers a muted experience with rinse and repeat experiences of hunter-gather to similarities of Far Cry 4 - in addition to performance issues. It adds weight that Ubisoft should be resting this series again after they did with Far Cry 2, or perhaps suggests that this was originally an expansion pack outside that of a season pass (not uncommon).

For those that have played both these titles, did you feel the similarities were too close? What were you overall impressions in comparison?

Far Cry 4 map (click for larger image)
kC8uqNKm.jpg

Far Cry Primal (click for larger image)
iWhJTRPm.jpg

Further reading:
Original source grynieznane (Polish), picked up via GamePressure

This is like, spot the differences.

We know that earth didn't changed alot in therms of where natural things are, like islands, mountains, current countries locations since human being landed here, at least according to science discoveries. Although Ubisoft could be more creative, as they have the money, the talented people, the opportunity, and make a totally different map. I didn't played nor FC4 nor Primal, but this is another reason that supports my decision, don't give money to this company that tries to fool the consumer.

Look at GTA V, some people could think back in 2013, the new game would be a remastered HD edition of San Andreas, but it wasn't, the map has almost nothing to do with the one at San Andreas, and that's the way it suppose to be, otherwise would need to be called the remastered HD edition of San Andreas!

Of course there are games that deserves map recycle, look at CSGO, but this is a must, or the old school players would leave the game very quickly, and maps in this game are more like icons, they represent generations of competitive FPS gaming since the Half-life mod.

Back to Far Cry, it's a shame if all of this is true, mainly because you have only one big map, not various, like in BF, but probably this shouldn't keep players out of Primal, there are even the new players to the series who didn't played any Far Cry games before, who may enjoy the "creativity" of the new map.

I'm glad i stopped playing these series after first far cry ;) 

I have FC3 tho, but I just used it for testing. How can they keep making new games based on the same idea and expect to deliver great products every time. Same goes to Assassins Creed, ruined by ubi.

Does this game even have anything to do with the genre, or they just used FC name to earn more money? 

16 hours ago, WhyCry said:

Does this game even have anything to do with the genre, or they just used FC name to earn more money? 

(Replying generally to both Skr and WhyCry) Having played all games in the series, bar Primal copy-n-pasta-edition, my experience and that of what I've come to know of the series is geared towards exploration through top-notch graphics, upping the ante with good AI design, and ofc doing good deeds or saving yourself as was the case in the original. Graphics back in 2004 were the best (hence total system upgrades) purely as FPS with interesting maps, this was three years before Crysis too and exploration and mysterious were tied into a decent story (apart from the sudden change half-way through FC1).

Today however it's a busyathon and running simulator with fetch quests and obsession with gathering plants plus a number of Easter eggs that are barely worth it. FC 3, 4, and Primal allows you to easily upgrade to help quickly find these hidden items (borrowed from Assassin's Creed) to take out some of the tedium of the game but also an admission that this mechanic is overused. If anything the lack of items to collect in FC is a huge letdown versus AC, if you're going to dumb it down why even include it other than to pad the game out.

Had this been separate to the FarCry universe it would've quickly be forgotten, slap FarCry in the title (note Primal was already taken and owned by Sony) you can charge normal prices. Ubisoft seems to be using this to fund other developments, ie possibly to prolong The Division or worse future MMO IPs that is feeding an already overcrowded market. Even so, amazing singleplayer titles are a rare bread whatever the genre, they too often tack on a multiplayer with limited modes. If Primal had been multiplayer only Birgi would've ate it up ;)

Games have to have a solid story to engage at a basic level but offering rewards for those that invest more time, characters that develop and not easily forgotten but never annoying all the time, sense of mystery and a reason to want to keep playing, sense of what you striving for matters and our protagonist (Ajay Ghale in Far Cry 4) offers some of this but without being on a moral crusade. Yes he helps others but is separate from his primary objective, partly through helping settlers in Fallout 4 is a means to an end and that's finding your son. Btw Fallout 4 got Bethesda the 2015 game of the year award despite the many flaws/bugs/subpar graphics/controls/performance-issues, when a roundup of 2016's worst game I'd bet FarCry Primal will be on it.

Could go on forever but I won't ;) Sums up the coming to end of a franchise for fans of the series, playing through and comparing all aspects (yes in depth) of the FC series would make an interesting video for those people since there isn't one, only graphics comparisons but wouldn't be possible for me as it would take far too long - plus it would require me to buy Primal so there's my reason :P