SMiThaYe

windows 10.
Windows 10 Free Upgrade, Reserve Yours Now

5 posts in this topic

Windows 10 Free Upgrade, Reserve Yours Now

Ran a little update for important stability fixes this morning and got a taskbar notification "Get Windows 10" - how is it that an update for fixes also adds this update offer? :wacko: Anyway, Windows 10 will be available on 29th July.

Clicking on the top-lefthand corner menu reveals the following menu information.

24gclOb.png

How this free upgrade works:

1. Reserve - Reserve your FREE upgrade to Windows 10 now. It will download* once available, and you can cancel your reservation at any time.
  2. Install - You'll get a notification after Windows 10 is downloaded to your device. Install it straight away or pick a time that's convenient to you.
  3. Enjoy - Once it's installed, Windows 10 is all yours!

yGQSSAa.png

You're already an expert:

• Windows 10 is familiar and easy to use. The Start menu is back and you can use it how you want - with a keyboard and mouse or touch. It's everything you love, and more.
    Some apps sold separately; availability varies by market.
    LwVP7BDt.jpg

Designed for speed and ease:

• Windows 10 starts fast, resumes fast and comes with security features than ever. And it's designed to work with the hardware and software you already use.
    Plus, multi-task like a master - with the ability to snap up to four things on screen at once.
    OTNyiDat.jpg

Amazing new features:

• Windows 10 is packed with innovations like Cortana, your truly personal assistant.
    There's also an all-new browser designed for getting stuff done online, and great built in apps like Photos, Maps, Messaging, Music, and Video.
    Z8Y3JUQt.jpg

Apps. Games. Films. Music.

• Discover new favourites in the Windows Store, your one-stop shop for great apps, popular games and entertainment.
    App availability varies by market.
    Tmccl6lt.jpg

AwU3sa3.png

e9KQYLz.png

Yeah, I didn't get any notification so far, but I won't upgrade from 8.1 for now, let's wait for WIN10 be more stable and "fixed" before move on.

(I may try it on Windows tablet first just to play with it, and then on Desktop PC)

Edited by Skr13

Side information to this. Windows 10 32/64-bit Pro Retail ready to install direct from a USB drive, nobody has ODD apart from me :mellow:. Search for manufacture code FQC-08789, costs £160. Non-USB drive aka DVD version will likely cost £10 less for the Pro version, OEM DVD Pro version will likely cost £110 and in line with previous versions.

Otherwise for those following this upgrade path you can also copy the ISO later direct from MS and sort out a USB drive. Your new W10 key will replace your W8/W7 key, and yes if you have OEM it will still remain OEM and require the usual phone activation for whenever you replace core hardware like motherboards.

If you're planning ahead and due a fresh install of the OS, it may be tempting to pre-order the USB drive but be quick, units are very limited from what I hear and due second week of August.

[thenextweb] Windows 10 uses your bandwidth to send other people updates

You may want to disable this option for one-time updates, if you have other PC/devices to update you can leave it enabled to speed up the update process then turn it off.

W10 looks a tiny bit similar to iOS X with the large central icons and with a bit of customisation you can change that and the transparency. Only time we've had a large taskbar is with Windows 7, in the age of large DPI screens we have no need for this. Coupled in with forced updates and false Nvidia/AMD drive updates (MS doesn't differentiate from one version to another so never download your drivers there) plans to harvest you usage/data next year. Starts to sounds similar to Google/Apple making you the product while making changes is more complicated than it needs to be, no wonder it's free to upgrade so stop moaning :P

Not all bad from what I've been told by friends and what we've read: it's smooth, fast with slightly higher fps but then they did upgrade then a fresh install - it's bound to be that way after only a few days but at least feedback was somewhat taken on for the Insiders Program. Keep in mind the handful of Windows updates over the past 18 months that nuked peoples OS (pre-W10) and had them reverting to image backups to get it running again, 3 times I recall having to postponed updating W8.1 for a month before calling it safe but not without a full back up. Heard some anti-virus vendors weren't ready in time and third-party processes that hook into the graphics API don't work currently. These are some of the reason's I have to give it additional time before fully committing or use on a spare notebook/PC with advice for businesses is not to update until Q2/2016 at the earliest.

For those that upgraded, what the big impressions you got from this and/or big let-downs?

You can disable WUDO, but the option is buried in the settings menu for Windows Update under ‘advanced options’ then ‘choose how updates are received.’

Update: Microsoft says that the feature “helps people get updates and apps more quickly if they have a limited or unreliable Internet connection” and “does not slow down your internet connection” as it uses a “limited portion” of idle upload bandwidth.

NP0wy52.png

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/30/windows-10-steals-your-bandwidth-to-send-other-people-updates/

Microsoft can block pirated games and software

What if you remained on an earlier version for reasons other than what Microsoft has concluded that no good can come from it? Garden wall (Apple eco), selling on info (Google), and now banning for using older software/games on a machine that is OEM and MINE :facepalm:

In section 7, part B among the list of changes to W10 they can now do this...

b. Sometimes you’ll need software updates to keep using the Services. We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices. You may also be required to update the software to continue using the Services. Such updates are subject to these Terms unless other terms accompany the updates, in which case, those other terms apply. Microsoft isn’t obligated to make any updates available and we don’t guarantee that we will support the version of the system for which you licensed the software.

Source