Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tauno

Whens the best time to buy new gpu?

5 posts in this topic

What would be the best time to buy new graphics card during year 2015. Thinking about buying one but i have no hurry and want to get a good card. I should probably wait for 390x... but are there any more releases that i should wait for?

Either 980 Ti or 390X, both unreleased. Next month you should know everything about those two cards. We don't expect any new high-end cards after these two (other than dual-GPUs).

Nice... thank you. Will there be price cuts for regular 980? Im thinking ti version would maybe be too pricy for me... what price is logical for it?

I wouldn't count on price cuts. NVIDIA is quite clever when it comes to branding and pricing their cards. The only reason to lower the price of GTX 980 would be good competitor. 

AMD is planning Hawaii-based Radeon 300 card, but it's really hard to say how much will it cost, and will it be faster than 980.

Still, I would wait for Radeon 300 series, just to see what NVIDIA has up in the sleeve (that's including game bundles).

Edited by WhyCry

As WhyCry said, I wouldn't count on price cuts either. If anything, many manufacturers may start giving bigger rebates soon to get rid of their stock for AMD's stuff. Best to wait for R300 to come out (which should be in a week or two from now) and make your decision then. nVidia doesn't usually lower their prices even when AMD's stuff goes on par with whatever it matches up against. 

If the 390X (or whatever the top silicon will be called) does infact beat out the Titan X, then maybe we'll see some prices move around. When the 290X came out it took a while for nVidia's prices to respond, which wasn't by much. 

Can you wait about 8 months though? By early next year nVidia and AMD should be moving to 14nm or 16nm, which would be a fantastic time to get a card from either vendor.