Skr13

Nostalgic graphics cards memories...

53 posts in this topic

Nice card, is it loud under full-load?

Thanks, you notice a tiny amount of noise under full-load with auto fan speed at 50% (1920 RPM). Manually set to 70% fan speed (2640 RPM) for benching the fan isn't unpleasant but set it to 90% fan speed (3330 RPM) and you can hear it outside the room. 100% fan speed= 3570 RPM, idle is normally 30% on auto fan speed (1110 RPM). The case is just 2 feet away on my huge desk.

I don't have any very recent Nvidia cards to compare it against but it's probably the next best thing to the piece and quiet of H20.

The triple fans on these GPUs is amazing. When I first installed it and was working in Photoshop I kept checking the fans to see if they were moving and I couldn't hear them at idle.

Found a review for the 4GB Ultra Charged with auto-fan and same cooler at stock - idle: 27dB / load: 33dB - LINK.

I'm jw, did you think I or anyone else used a tripod?

I didn't use a tripod

Only asking because I was curious how that came up. I didn't know anyone used tripods when taking pictures of their PCs :D

I found this of my first GPU and I had to show it.

Dry Ice setup for an ATI Rage 128 Pro. At first I thought it was a shotgun shell :D

Found more images of my HD 4870s from about 2008 and thought to share this nostalgic pron :P

Yip, I know I had the CF bridge on both fingers but I was worried about losing it and left it on.

icRO91g.jpg

Some pics of my bricked :( GTX 460 taken today. (yeah, bad quality, blame my mobile phone)

460_Skr13.jpg

460_2_Skr13.jpg

460_3_Skr13.jpg

Today is my nostalgic GPUs day, so I bring you more pictures, this time it's an old AGP ATI 9600 Pro/XT. Enjoy! ;)

Yeah, the card still works!

01082013_005.jpg

01082013_006.jpg

01082013_007.jpg

Thanks for posting.

Here are mine 670s :)

http://forums.videocardz.com/uploads/monthly_08_2013/post-1-0-34956700-1375437216.jpghttp://forums.videocardz.com/uploads/monthly_08_2013/post-1-0-14329100-1375437219.jpghttp://forums.videocardz.com/uploads/monthly_08_2013/post-1-0-28115100-1375437222.jpg

Today is the day, the wait is over, finally!

I want a news on the main site about my new purchase ;)

Enjoy!

14082013.jpg

14082013_002.jpg

14082013_003.jpg

I'm doing a fresh Windows install right now on the main rig, and then will test the card.

(One bad thing is that MSI put a sticker on a screw of the card that warns that if I remove it, the warranty is voided, but to install Accelero Xtreme III I have to.)

Very nice! The Power Edition rocks, still love the looks and the power and now you can buy the GTX670 cheaper than what I paid for the GTX660TI ! (>link to post of image)

Did yours also arrive with soft foam too? And what made you decide to fit an aftermarket cooler over the pretty decent one provided?

How about if you tested the 670 with the stock cooler and monitor the Delta temps + fan RPM (with eg. GPU-Z for 30mins), then compare with the Accelero Xtreme III cooler? Be interesting to note the difference :)

After testing the card for 2 days, those are my conclusions:

The Twin Frozr IV cooler makes too much noise when fan is above 55-60%, but I didn't yet have installed the AC Xtreme III.

The card's overclock margin and method to do are ridiculous, with the latest MSI AF or EVGA Precision-X, I can't overvoltage, so even with +20 oc on clock, the card chash.
Only with MSI AF 2.2.3 I can OC a bit further, 1267-1280(boost) with +60Voltage, but although the card seems not very stable at Unigine Heaven.

The Vram are not Hynix or Samsung, but Elpida, which are known for less overclock potential, however I'm able to push them to 6600 MHz, not 7000MHz that most of people can do with Hynix or Samsung chips.

The other negative aspect that I mentioned earlier, is the sticker on the screw that when removed avoids the warranty, but I have to remove it to install AC Xtreme III.

I even unlocked the bios with Kerpler Bios Tweaker, to push the Power Limit above 14% to 125%, and voltage from 1.50v to 1.21v, but didn't help nothing with OC stability.

To sum up: The performance in games like BF 3 or COH 2 is 60 fps locked, which is great, but the OC potential, noisy at benchmarking and some "heavy games" and the warranty policy, let me a bit sad of the purchase, mainly because I waited so long to upgrade my card, and now I feel a bit disappointed.

Edited by Skr13
1267MHz fixed!

Excellent summary/testing of the MSI GTX670 in such a short time :) Sorry to hear that it wasn't up to your exceptions.

I always found that even on my 680s that the base isn't very clockable (boost jumps to 1215MHz max stable in SLI) but then this is already an factory oc edition, same goes with my 660Ti so GK104 isn't too good bar the memory but even then 770/780 has even more headroom and that all important stability dependant on the silicon lottery but the GK104-425 may be £50 too much. You did mistype 1867-1280(boost) - I know you meant to type 1267-1280Mhz ;)

I know that normally you can remove the stock cooler and use your own aftermarket solution without issue cos I've done this to a couple old GPUs. For RMAs, place the cooler with the thermal pads in the correct location in a sandwich bag, making bag as airtight as possible to avoid drying out, that way if you return it. They should be non the wiser but the sticker is a bugger.

And what was the difference in overall temps stock/aftermarket from your testing?

Just noticed this thread with new pictures from Skr. You should really consider using software to add watermarks (just saying) :)

I never understood this 7GHz memory overclocking competition. My both cards run at 6208 and I wouldn't go any higher. I already burned two cards with high memory clocks and the last thing you want to see on the screen are bright dots and artifacts.

I do believe you that Twin Frozr 4 is loud, I never imagined that DirectCU II would be so much louder than WindForce 3X. Usually cards with larger fans are quieter, my Galaxy has bigger fans that ASUS. You can clearly hear the difference. Hopefully your Arctic cooler will be much better.

What is to understand?  That is all they did with the "new" GTX 770 is clock the VRAM to its potential, I have been pushing clocks on cards since the NV 6800 and with adequate cooling I have never burned up a single card (that is with using soldering irons to put potentiometers on them),  My GTX 660 Ti has been running at 7020 MHz for 9 months now with not a single issue (card never breaks 73C, even with SLI).

GTX 770: VRAM 7010 MHz

After almost six months silence, I'll try to reboot this topic :)

I owned only five cards, but let me start at a point when dedicated GPUs where not common:

1990: My brother boughts his first PC so I got his old Commodore64 :) It included a monitor with 256 colors, a 'printer' and a disc drive. Did you know that many games used the processor of that drive (2MHz) instead of the processor of the C64 itself (1MHz)? I think this was one of the first hardware accelerators for the consumer market xD
I can't remenber many names of the games. There was Frogger, Choplifter, Maniac Mansion and many more

~1998: I first got the old PC of my father. 60/75MHz (turbo) and no dedicated GPU. Short after my brother bought a new PC and I got his 100MHz Pentium machine. No GPU, but 16Mb RAM! (or was it 8? not sure...) The games I played that time are Warcraft 1 + 2, Diablo, GTA, Doom, Quake, Blood and many more.

2002: The first PC of my own! Including the famous Nvidia MX440. It could run games like HL, CS, SeriousSam 1st + 2nd Encounter, GhostRecon(1), NFS (3? I think), MaxPayne 2, Earth2150, Morrowind, GTA3 and some others.

~2005: I became a WOW nerd and realized that even the basic game was too much for my system. So I got a 2nd hand 4600Ti and upgraded the system RAM from 256MB to 1GB. Now it could even handle Doom3 and FarCry! But somehow I missed HL2 :(

2007: The beginning of a new era: 8800GTX. The first and only time I bought a flagship card. I don't remenber the exactly price, but it was much. I installed Crysis and got about 20fps -.- Other games were Racedriver:Grid, Fear1+2, SeriousSam2, Bioshock, CallOfJuarez1+2, AssassinsCreed, Oblivion...

~2010: I overklocked the 8800GTX to the level of a 8800Ultra and three months later I needed a new card ^^ (Unfortunately there were no colored dots but I encoutered BSDs more frequently) Since I had not much money left at that time, I picked a GTS250 (~100€) and had even more power than before. Now I got a glimpse of how it would feel to play Crysis at 30fps ^^

2012: I built my current rig with the GTX660TiOC from Gigabyte. I think it cost something between 200€ and 250€. The only games that reveal the limits of that card are Crysis3 and Skyrim with mods. I have not tried AC4 or BF4, though.

BTW: Crysis with full details, 16xAF, 8xAA @ 1080p ---> ~45fps! It feels like a dream xD

Hi all, here my history GPU^^

1- Matrox Mystique MGA + 2x3Dfx Voodoo 2 SLI with Intel Celeron 400 - 384MB SDR (Windows 98SE)

2-nVidia GeForce4 MX 420 64MB, changed x2 with ASUS Radeon 9250 256MB, and after ASUS GeForce FX5200 128MB with AMD Athlon XP 2000+ and 1GB DDR (Windows XP)

3-ASUS GeForce 7300 GT 256MB changed with MSI GeForce 7800 GT 256MB - AMD Athlon 64 3200+ and 2GB DDR (Windows XP)

4-ZOTAC GeForce GTX 260 Synergy 896MB, changed (at the end) with a EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition and 4GB DDR2 (Windows 7)

5-EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti (in the begin) changed with 2x Sapphire Radeon R9-290 - AMD FX-8350 and 16GB DDR3 (Windows 10)

For my brother:

1-nVidia GeForce4 MX 420 64MB - Intel Pentium 4 (Windows XP)

2- 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 280 SLI - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (Windows Vista and 7)

3-Actually: ASUS GeForce GTX 670 - Intel Core i7 3770K and 16GB DDR3 (Windows 7)

AND my collection GPU:

1-2x Obsidian 3Dfx Voodoo 2 1000

ATI/AMD:

1-Sapphire Rage 128 Ultra

2-ASUS Radeon 7200 64MB

3-ASUS Radeon 9250 256MB

4-Sapphire Radeon X1900 Pro

5-ATI Radeon X1950 XTX

6-PowerColor Radeon HD 2900 Pro

7-ATI Radeon HD 3870

8-ASUS Radeon HD 3870 X2

9-HIS Radeon HD 4850

10-Gainward Radeon HD 4870

11-Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 X2

12-ASUS Radeon HD 5870

13-Sapphire Radeon HD 5970

14-Gigabyte Radeon HD 6990

15-PowerColor Radeon HD 7970

16-Sapphire Radeon HD 7990

17- 2x Sapphire Radeon R9-290

NVIDIA:

1-nVidia GeForce4 MX420 64MB

2-ASUS GeForce FX5200 128MB

3-nVidia GeForce 6800 GTO

4-ASUS GeForce 7300 GT 256MB

5-MSI GeForce 7800 GT

6-nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB

7-nVidia GeForce 8800 ULTRA 768MB

8-nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB

9-nVidia GeForce 9800 GX2

10-ZOTAC GeForce GTX 260

11-2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 280

12-ZOTAC GeForce GTX 295

13-Gainward GeForce GTX 480

14-nVidia GeForce GTX 590

15-EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

IMAG0319.jpg

IMAG0321.jpg

Wow that's quite a history here. Judging from those photos, you are probably eagerly waiting for new gpus, aren't you?

Yeah wow, that's an impressive history of GPUs, thanks for the photos :) Btw some are listed as just Nvidia such as 8800 GTS and my 8800 GTS 320MB was BFG back when they were kicking OC hell out the competition and ELSA which I also had fond memories of. Crazy there were 320/512/640MB variants released over the months lol.

1. I do wonder why you bought the lower SKU and later bought slightly faster cards on various examples (ie 4850 > 4870 > 4870x2), interested to know why you decided this and if you kept them?
  2. What recent GPUs do you have now, anything more recent than 2013's Hawaii, if not why did you stop upgrading?
  3. You have a healthy selection of cards from a variety of manufacturers, which cards were you most fond of and do you have a bias towards certain manufacturers?
  4. Were any of these cards eventually modded, blocked, or used aftermarking cooling?

1. At the time, I had enough funding for the high end. Voodoo was bought by my parents, not me, it was so exceptional.

2.I have no newer than my R9 290. crossfire, they are more than sufficient, to have no interest Fury X. I rather expected AMD Polaris and Vega, and the ZEN CPU to really change

3.For video cards, I take what I have of cheaper, I do not have specific brands. I usually only takes the high ranges, others are obtained by chance by my contacts.

4. No modding with me

And i use other modern GPU (Tahiti, GF110) for GPGPU BOINC, and benchmark

1) Nvidia GTX 660 Inno3DTi

2) Nvidia GTX 1070 Gigabyte G1 gaming

3) Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti Msi Gaming X

And soon gonna buy rx 480 or 580 :)

I was a silent lurker of this forum but for this I couldn't resist and created an account :-)

I guess I must be one of the oldest ppl here because my first 3d card was the Canopus Pure3D based on the voodoo fx.. And what was so special about it was that it had 6MB of ram instead of the competition's 4MB.  Yes you read that right, a whole 6 MB :-)

I even imported it from the us to europe. That was around 1997.

God I'm getting old.

Edited by Patje
typo

13 hours ago, Patje said:

I was a silent lurker of this forum but for this I couldn't resist and created an account :-)

I guess I must be one of the oldest ppl here because my first 3d card was the Canopus Pure3D based on the voodoo fx.. And what was so special about it was that it had 6MB of ram instead of the competition's 4MB.  Yes you read that right, a whole 6 MB :-)

I even imported it from the us to europe. That was around 1997.

God I'm getting old.

Nice, do you have any pics?

I remember Voodoo era quite well, but I never had the opportunity to use any of those cards.

Most DOS games were running just fine without any accelerator. The first game ever to give me a low framerate was Destruction Derby 2.

3 hours ago, WhyCry said:

Nice, do you have any pics?

I remember Voodoo era quite well, but I never had the opportunity to use any of those cards.

Most DOS games were running just fine without any accelerator. The first game ever to give me a low framerate was Destruction Derby 2.

Sorry mate, no pics. I've had dozens of videocards since but never felt the need to photograph any of them :-)

Ah DOS, the good old days, messing with autoexec.bat config.sys and Qemm to get those last few extra kb freed up to get a game to start...