Skr13

Nostalgic graphics cards memories...

53 posts in this topic

• So how many cards you had in the past?

• Did you remember Brand/Model?

• How much costed the card?

• Positive and Negative experiences?

• What games did you played with it?

...Please share with us your memories ;)

There were about 12 cards. Starting with GeForce 2MX. I don't remember how much did it cost, but it wasn't cheap.

I had Leadtek, Palit, MSI and Gigabyte cards, and bunch of reference models. I have burned one card -- 7900GT with extreme memory overclocking. The lesson learned from that, if you see the colored dots on the screen, that's not good :)

Listing all my favorite games is nothing interesting. I used to play Americas Army, COD series, and now I'm playing BF3. Other games are not that addictive.

I'm currently waiting for few games, including latest NFS and Sim City :)

my history of video cards:

1. ATI Rage 128 Pro (~$89)

2. ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (flashed to 9700 Pro, or was it 9800, I can't remember) (around $150)

3. ATI Radeon X600 Pro (traded)

4. NVIDIA EVGA 6800 (unlocked all 16 pipelines) (~$199)

5. NVIDIA EVGA 7900 GT KO (volt-modded with conductive ink) (~$250)

6. NVIDIA EVGA 8800GT (256mb) (~$200)

7. NVIDIA EVGA 8800 GTS 512 (hardware volt-modded with soldered potentiometer) (Free - EVGA step-up program)

8. ATI Radeon 4850 x2 (sold them, so wasn't really a cost)

9. NVIDIA GTX 295 ($499)

10. NVIDIA GTX 480 (Free - EVGA replacement for 295)

My funniest memory with these cards has to be trying to play Crysis 1 on the same monitor I'm using now (BenQ FP241W 1920x1200) on a 256mb 7900 GT KO, lol. On the Rage 128 I remember playing Quake, Half Life 1, Dark Forces 1 & 2, X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter along with many other games I can't even remember their names now. On my 9500 Pro I bought it just to be able to play BF1942 (and BF1942 Desert Combat mod WOOT), lol. The reason I owned an 8800GT and an 8800 GTS 512 is because I used EVGA's step-up program and boy that was worth the upgrade. I remember the GTS 512 getting very close to 8800 GTX performance (that caused a lot of forum arguments, lol). My two 4850's were a headache from the moment I installed them and I eventually sold them because drivers were SO BAD I couldn't even play a game with the cards underclocked (unless I only used one card) without the computer crashing to a BSOD. That is how I ended up buying the GTX 295 (the most expensive card I've ever purchased) and it also had its problems, but come to find out the entire time it was my PSU. I RMA'd that card literally 5 times and finally EVGA just sent me a GTX 480, which you all know is a huge step-up for free, but at the time I didn't know it was my PSU. Hell I even tried running a dedicated PSU just for the 295 and it still gave me issues in certain games after certain amounts of time. I was running a Seasonic M12 700W, you would think that could easily pull a 295, but for some reason it would not pull it consistently. I guess I'll stop on my 5 RMAs note :D

I love how I can still find reviews of my very first dedicated card: http://www.firingsqu...rdware/rage128/

Well, If my memory serves me correctly, i had only 6 cards, but if a consider RMA´s the number is quite bigger.

ATI RADEON 9250

XFX 8500GT 256MB,

Asus 4870 512MB,

Gigabyte GTX 260 SOC 896MB,

Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1GB,

ASUS GTX 560 Ti TOP 1GB,

Gigabyte 210 512MB.

Asus 4870 was the most expensive card, €260 but the most problematic card, 3 RMA´s

After sold my 4870 i purchased GTX 260, and kept it for about 2 Years, and then DX11 games were so popular that i decide to bring a GTX 460 to my computer.

I still have my GTX 460, but is bricked after a wrong flash, and warranty denied.

GTX 560 Ti was a great card, but with latest games requiring more VRAM, fps started to drop much that i expected.

Last and the weaker card, Nvidia G210, only for Internet and Movies, after sold my 560 TI.

Now im about to purchase a new GPU, and the waiting is taking 4 months.

Games: Company of Heroes, GTA IV, BF 2 & 3, Dirt 3, Men of War... many of them along the time. :rolleyes:

When I'm not playing games I use HD2600 PRO 256MB DDR2.

When I want to play older games I plug in my 8800GTS

I have Geforce 4 somewhere. Had riva tnt2 long time ago... When I was a little kid, I was playing on PC with Hercules....good old times...

Looks like your memories are someones reality! ;)

I guess I can post here story of my 8800GTS.

This was my brothers GPU. He bought it on release in 2008/2009 for some creazy amount of $$$.He changed his desktop for a laptop and gave me the card.

Recently It was displaying artifacts. System was crashing, eventually it was artefacting in bios.

I couldn't afford geting new GPU so.... I baked my 8800GTS.

I took off fan and plastic covers. Put it in to oven @200'C for 10min.

Now it is working fine. I didn't realy believed that baking GPU can repair it. Now I'm happy to share with my knowledge.

yea baking has been used for a while, all it does is get the solder hot enough to reconnect if a piece has broken connection somewhere. I personally haven't had to do it yet, but know of many people on XS Forums who have.

I've used GT 8600, then HD 3450 on my old and crappy Lenovo laptop. After 2.5 years, both of them died of no reason, worst time ever.Then i got a HD 4870 as a "Christmas gift" from my brother, cost me 70 bucks. After the GTX 4xx was released, i bought a GTX 460, a bang for the buck at that time. Stick with it for another 2 years then bought the HD 7970 Lightning. Use it for only 2 months then i have to go back to college and say bye bye to my baby at home. Now i'm stuck with HP AMD Trinity laptop with HD 7660G.

My brother, however owns a computer store in Vietnam. He has about 20 HD 7900 cards for BTC and LTC. Anybody here runs BTC ?

Some people do mining with their cards. But that usually depends on where people live. In Europe, for instance, it's not worth to do mining, since the power cost is too high.

Leaving your card alone is always sad, I know that since I'm usually leaving mine for most of the weekends.

Has anyone used Voodoo Graphic Cards Before Nvidia Acquire Them?

I recall using Voodoo 2. But dont remember much. Quake 1 maybe... or even earlier.

The first PC I was using was 286 (iAPX 286) CPU and Hercules GPU. I dont remember any games... supaplex? Another world? Prince of persia? Kommander keen?

palit geforce 2 mx 400

palit fx 5200 :D

his x800 po iceq2

his x1950 pro iceq3

his hd 3870 iceq3

zotac gtx 280 hotttt :(

sapphire hd 6950

palit gtx 570

sapphire hd 6870 CF

zotac gtx 670 hotttt :(

zotac gtx 680 amp

msı hd 7870 hawk CF B) B) B)

palit geforce 2 mx 400

palit fx 5200 :D

his x800 po iceq2

his x1950 pro iceq3

his hd 3870 iceq3

zotac gtx 280 hotttt :(

sapphire hd 6950

palit gtx 570

sapphire hd 6870 CF

zotac gtx 670 hotttt :(

zotac gtx 680 amp

msı hd 7870 hawk CF B) B) B)

Big list, why you changed from Zotac GTX 670 to Zotac GTX 680? If was because temperatures, just add a aftermarket cooler to GTX 670 and you were fine.

And why 6870 CF? i suppose you getting less VRAM than 6950? ;)

For some reason I included a Cirrus Logic 5465 AGP 1x card in my first wintel build back in 1998. That was just days before Windows 98 was sold in New Zealand. It had 4MB of video memory and was, I think, DirectX 6.0 compatible. The card caused no end of pain. It had a firmware bug whereby you'd run almost any kind of Direct3D app and the system would freeze. Switching the power off and on FROM THE WALL was the only way to get the machine to reboot. I hated that card but always hoped that the next driver release would be THE fix. Never happened. I feel NO nostalgia for the Cirrus Logic which is why I remember feeling immense satisfaction chucking it into the wheelie-bin.

In 2003 I bought an MSI FX5900 Ultra-VTD265 (AGP 8x). It came with Unreal 2, Battlefield 1942, and Command and Conquer: Generals. I feel quite a bit of nostalgia for this card because of the pleasure I got from playing 3D T&L FPS games for the very first time. You know, the first experience stays with you. Half Life 2.. wow... Shooting people with uranium tipped projectiles from a crossbow in Deathmatch just added to the nostalgia. It wasn't until Battlefield 2 that I realized I needed a new card, so in 2009 I got an Asus ENGTX295 which was great until Battlefield 3 arrived. I now have a Gigabyte GTX 590. The nVidia cards have all been flawless but the MSI card is the only one I feel nostalgic about. Like I said, the first experience stays with you.

I'll update this post with my own photos/screengrabs as I get more time. Dates/prices are best guess.
I should still have most of them in my possession but there's going to be older stuff I've chucked.

Present (2017) ~ 1999

NVIDIA Titan Xp 12GB - PCIe 3.0 GDDR5X DX12.1 384-bit (£1159 at launch, now £1099)

As we all know, mGPU support is a mixed bag and not dependable anymore and wanted the fastest GP102 I could get. This card wasn't my original choice as I fully intended on grabbing custom 1080 Ti. As 1080 Ti's were in short supply, constant delays and multiple versions of the same card from AIBs, I got impatient and placed my order within hours of the Xp - The Xp was a surprise to everyone including us. Why pay £800-£900 for custom 1080 Ti's when I'll be blocking it anyway, plus with the reduction in price (£60/-5.2%) making it an option for those who require either extra bandwidth or VRAM as overkill (ie, heavily modded Skyrim/Fallout 4).

With a block (yet to be fitted) the card stays at 2-slot rather than the 3-slot of the custom 1080 Ti's, had been waiting for single slot option from EKWB but they unified their blocks and wasn't to be. So far been more than happy with the Xp, although only 7% faster than a 1080 Ti (though much faster VRAM), it is only the start of my next new build as I keep tabs on 7920X and perhaps another Asus Rampage Extreme board. Overclocked with a stock cooler and no custom fan profiles, I can get boost to about 2040MHz and memory from 11.400Mhz to 12,712MHz stable.

qWzqQpwm.png

2x MSI Nvidia GTX980Ti Gaming 6GB - PCIe 3.0 GDDR5 DX12.1 384-bit (£540 each)
needs updating: acquired EKWB full blocks this time and have no trouble maxing every game at native resolution of Asus Swift PG278Q (2560x1440) and the benefit this time of GSync with nice boost in core clocks up to 1480MHz at times meaning rather than wasting energy/heat I cap fps at 120/144 apart from CSGO.

pL3krmqm.jpg

EVGA Nvidia GTX780Ti Classified - PCIe 3.0 GDDR5 DX11.1 384-bit (£600-ish)
needs updating: ACX 2.0 fans were very quiet but quickly got around to block with EKWB block covering the GPU but not the VRMs. Ran custom firmware with unlimited Power Limit and no clock throttling but Kepler still got quite hot and VRMs were very hot limiting maximum clocks when benching.

1gtPq43l.jpg

2x POV-TGT Nvidia GTX680 Ultra Charged 2GB - PCIe 3.0 GDDR5 DX11.1 256-bit (£440 each 2012 - Verified)
24/7 oc'd: 208.6GB/s, Core: 1119MHz / Boost: 1184MHz / Memory: 6520MHz.
Well I wanted to max current/future games, use PhysX for Batman, Mafia II, etc. Excellent image quality compared to 5970 as detail now looks far sharper. Very quiet, it's near silent when at desktop but the 2.5-slot design means the top GPU is 10c hotter under load. Additional cooling added until I can afford to put them under water whenever that may be. Even with SLI, I find Batman:AC with high PhysX suffers slowdowns, same kind of situation reported with Borderlands 2 but at least its much smoother overall.
9by59l.jpg
XFX AMD Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition 2GB - PCIe 2.0 GDDR5 256-bit DX11.0 (£450 2010 - Verified)
24/7 oc'd: 120GB/s (approx), Core: 780MHz / Memory: 1120MHz.
I couldn't play Borderlands too well due to framebuffer limitations and only on medium settings. I later added EVGA's Nvidia GT440 for hybrid PhysX that also ran my 2nd display, my first is 1920x1200. This dual-pcb suffered from annoying micro-stutter and image quality wasn't the very best anymore. Plus the fan was noisy at the GPU temps hit 80c.

0SDRMz0.jpg

2x AMD Gigabyte HD 4870 512MB - PCIe 2.0 GDDR5 256-bit DX10.1 (£300 best guess mid-2008)
24/7 oc'd: 121GB/s (approx), Core: 770MHz / Memory: 950MHz.
Bought these as an upgrade from the old PCIe 1.1 standard. New motherboard was needed too, and went for two of these as a treat. It was a little bad timing - nothing had been announced around my purchase time - as a friend some months later spotted/bought the 1GB variant and knew that would be my main reason for upgrading next time. It served me well and brought a new lease of life to my ever decreasing settings in games playing at 1650x1050.

VE1g6sNl.jpg

BFG Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS OC 320MB - PCIe 1.1 GDDR3 320-bit DX10.0 (£165 2007 - Verified)
Approx: 68GB/s, Core: 600MHz / Shader: 1200MHz / Memory: 950MHz + used with aftermarket cooler
Really liked this card, played a lot of shooters which required an upgrade from the previous card, never had any issues. Good price/performance and my first time installing an aftermarket cooler.

YRN8A8R.jpg

PNY Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB - AGP x8 GDDR3 256-bit DX9.0c (£450 in 2004 from retail store)

Defaults: 35GB/s, Core: 400Mhz / Memory: 550MHz
My first serious gaming card in the days before I researched and compared, way too expensive but I was sold on the leading-edge specs at the time.

3AVMol.jpg

Ati All in Wonder 9800 SE 128MB – AGP x8 DDR 128-bit DX 9.0 (included with PC 2003)
Defaults: 9GB/s, Core: 325Mhz / Memory: 290MHz
I think this is a capture card which I managed to unlock 4 disabled pipelines and got smooth performances from Half Life 2 as it was struggling previously. Not really a gaming card but this was a pre-built PC for watching/recording TV before PVRs. Certainly had a lot more grunt.

Elsa Gladiac Ultra 64MB AGP (sticker on PCB) aka Nvidia GeForce 2 Ultra - AGP x4 DDR DX 7.0 (2001?)
This card is tiny, only 18.5cm (L), 10.5cm (W), 2cm (D). I remember choosing this for the nice long 6-year warranty. No idea on pricing.

3Dfx Voodoo 3000 16MB - AGP x2 SDR 128-bit DX 6.0 (included with PC in 1999)
Defaults: 2.6GB/s, Core 166MHz / Memory: 166MHz.
Must have been my first dedicated card from the years of using software rendering in the 2D days of gaming. Lighting ingame wasn’t very good -too dark - but at least I could play at my old 15-inch CRT res without it looking like a slideshow. I know for a fact I don’t have this anymore and I had to research some details.

Something separate, took this image from my video unboxing the the GTX680 (pointless unboxing the other).

This is the upgrade cycle and your morning pwn ...

Both GTX 680s of first moment they were installed, and bye bye 5970+440 ...

EDIT - New SLI connector...

You should really get a black SLI connector ;)

I didn't get a black SLI bridge as my original idea was awaiting the finale date the then elusive white KFA2 GTX680 Ltd OC - not really thought much of it since.

Just checked for standard black Nvidia bridges and the length is exactly 70mm, so thought because my soundcard is ROG i'd have a look for ROG branded one and now have one arriving this week.

I have played on a Voodoo based card, but never owned one.

I forgot to mention that one of my first GPUs was a 3Dfx Voodoo 3000 and a quick wiki shows it was manufactured and designed by 3Dfx. They are smaller than todays soundcards, aw so small.

Another exciting find, found another old Nvidia GPU that I'll add to the list (and take a photo later)....

Elsa Gladiac Ultra 64MB AGP (sticker on PCB) aka Nvidia GeForce 2 Ultra - AGP x4 DDR DX 7.0 (2001?)

This card is tiny, only 18.5cm (L), 10.5cm (W), 2cm (D). I remember choosing this for the nice long 6-year warranty. No idea on pricing.

I dug out some old pictures for you guys :D

Here is the first GPU that I'm aware of that I took a picture of, my NVIDIA 6800 vanilla

Here you have my 6800nu and my 7900 GT KO together (RAWR dusty 6800):

here is my 6800nu running:

this is my 7900 GT KO and it tells what the cooler is :D :

here is my 7900 GT KO with Zalman cooler running in system:

Specs on this machine are:

AMD X2 4200+ @2.7

OCZ Platinum DDR400 4x1Gb

7900 GT KO

ASRock Dual SATA-II Motherboard

Creative Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro

Coolermaster 550W PSU

Same Case as now :D :D

then we jump all the way to my 8800 GTS 512 hardware volt-mod w/ Thermalright HR-03 Rev A, it is basically a potentiometer soldered to the VRM, yes the back plate is missing in picture:

Here is the 8800 GTS 512 in action :D :

now we have my GTX 295 (I really loved this card, except for the 5 RMAs resulting in getting a GTX 480, come to find out it was the PSU):

Then you have my GTX 480 (that I have now) before the Zalman VF3000F was put on it:

And finally my current card, GTX 480 w/ Zalman VF3000F:

and since WC did like it and I hit the limit on pictures for post

here is my old work station for my local State Gov't, I was the head hardware tech:

also this card with the volt mod (potentiometer mod) :

managed these speeds and won me the motherboard (BioStar TPower i45, $150 at time of contest) I am currently using in a G92 OCing contest

I realized I don't have pictures of any of my ATI cards that I can find, I know I have shots of my 4850s in Crossfire, but no idea where they are saved at. Maybe I'll find them one day.

I just found this pic, I'm not sure what was the model of this card, probably GeForce 4MX 440

A gamer dream surrounded by computers

B) B)

I just found this pic, I'm not sure what was the model of this card, probably GeForce 4MX 440

lol, that is a nice find

Hey Thats My First Graphic Card ,,,64MB GeForce 4MX 440,But It Was Smaller Than This One.. :) :)

Hey Thats My First Graphic Card ,,,64MB GeForce 4MX 440,But It Was Smaller Than This One.. :) :)

I started with 2MX, but I had one more 4MX, it was purple if I am right.

I still have my ATI Rage 128 Pro somewhere in the house

If people can post their own photo of these older cards then that would be nice to see the evolution/variety of graphics cards.

Took a photo of one of my POV GTX 680s when I was benching it in 3DMark11 recently - it's a huge 3-slot card at approx 3-inches thick. I didn't use a tripod, apologies for the slightly blurry shot although PS+RAW minimised that ...