omega

NEW Project ( ironBox ) - Build Log

57 posts in this topic

Hi peeps ,

It's been a while since i build a gaming rig . As some on you guys know the issues i had back then with my GPU / PSU , i will try this time to make things flawless. It is the biggest project i ever undertake specially in the water-cooling section.

This year i will focus mainly on the water-cooling side, since i am 80% sure that i will be buying the upcoming x99 socket and maxwell , but totally depends on the % gain compare to the current technologies .

My theme is green , with a little touch of white and single loop with 2 pump in series.

Spec :

Case      : Corsair Obsidian 900D
MoBo     : -
CPU    : -
GPU    : -
RAM    : -
SSD    : Samsung 830
HD    : WD Caviar Black 1TB + Samsung 1 TB
PSU    : Seasonic Platinum 1000w

Water-cooling

Radiators      : 2 x 480 EK-Coolstream XT    
                    : 1 x 240 EK-Coolstream XT
                    : 1 x Alphacool NexXxoS ST30
Pump            : 2 x EK-D5 Laing Vario
Pump Top      : 1 x EK-D5 Dual TOP G1/4 CSQ - Acetal
Res              : 2 x EK-RES X3 250
Block           : 1 x EK-Supremacy - Full Copper

Coolant        : EK-Ekoolant GREEN
Tubing         : Acrylic 10/12mm
Fittings        : Bitspower
Fans           : 16 x Gentle Typhoon AP-15
Fan controller : Aquaero 5 LT with waterblock

Need to buy :

- Gpu's / Cpu / MoBo / Ram
- New SSD
- New Mouse / Keyboard
- Bitspower Crystal link fittings - done!

Need to Finish :

- Remove Bay drive                                        - done!
- Paint Case                                              - done!
- Flush Radiators                                         - done! 
- Design and Install Aluminum Back-plate                  - Partially Complete!
- Plan The Loop                                           - done!  
- Design Water-channel                                    - Phase one is complete.
- Leak Testing  
- Install Acrylic ill uminated Panel                      - done!. Need hardware to complete the water-channel.
- Install Water cooling Component 
- Install Hardware + Water-block 
- Install a Back-plate ( optional )
- Design and Install an Acrylic Hard-Drive bay
- Leak Testing
- Cable Management
- Final Verifications
- Overclocking
- Take a coffee
- Play games ?

Regards.

Your theme is green and you're going maxwell.

What's with 16 fans? Where are you going to put them?

maxwell and green are not compatible ? :D

Yes 16 fans ,  push/pull for the top 480 rad , 2 fan for the front rad , 4 fan for the bottom 480 rad , and 2 fan for the bottom 240 rad

Some new pictures , just received my rad / pump

lqhp.jpg

y289.jpg

n53z.jpg

eizh.jpg
Will come back later with more updates ! :)

Oh new stuff! Would love to do what you're doing and start a proper watercooling build, far more exciting than staring at a big black NAS ;)

I hope the delay with receiving your deliveries doesn't dishearten you too much after paying so much, the end result is going to be amazing!

I only wonder how loud will this case be with so many fans installed.

I once waited 40 days for a leather case from China for my Nexus 7. I almost forgot I ordered it ;)

WhyCry, he's not putting 16 fans in his case, he's testing a prototype jetpack :P

ol2Bc6w.png

LoL dont make fun of me :P it will be an awesome build haha .

this is for you Whycry

42 minutes? :o

Still, he has less fans than you. Actually no one has more fans that you, even Justin Bieber ;)

Actually no , he used " seventeen " fans and i use " sixteen " fans :P

Small updates :

So as you know , i received my case few days ago
98yc.jpg

Here is the midpanel i will build when i got time

1lh1.jpg

Picture of the case before and after removing the bay drive

7qp3.jpg
1c0k.jpg

00zf.jpg

Thats said , now i have to appologies for the poor quality of the pictures. Will grap a good camera later on

Regards

Quick updates:

So i finally make the move and got my case painted ! .

more sexy isnt it ? :P
8n58.jpg

dbev.jpg
Also , here is my "DIY water filter system " , it works great , you can not imagine how much junk a rad contains!

7p1v.jpg
I clean my rads with tap water first , for about 1minute , then i let it flush through this system for 4 hours ^ .

Thats all for the moment , will keep you guys posted

Regards

Keep info coming, maybe I will learn something about watercooling :)

The case looks class and keep up the great work :)

It would be helpful if you add more info to your posts because not everyone followed what we were discussing on shoutbox about automatically flushing rads with tank pump and filter.
Since you're building a meaty PC, what display will you be driving? I've grabbed a good deal on a 144Hz 1080 panel and an unlocked 780 Ti 6GB would do, can't stand the lag on larger panels unless we see 120Hz 27" panels next year, who knows.

Hi , yeah you are right smith., I will try to post more information on what am doing . I got one big problem at the moment , i do have a good camera "canon EOS 300D", but i don't know how to use it efficiently lol :P

Anyway , here is a video that i tried to reproduce at home , basically the idea is to have a bucket filled with distilled water , a pump to push the water through the radiator and a water-filter to filter all crap that came out of the radiator ,You HAVE to ALWAYS flush the rad before setting it in your loop, even if it is factory-flushed. What i did is just make a rough water-filter using 2 gallons that i found at home, and used coffee filter to prevent the junks to go back in the rad.

'>

If you have any question , feel free to ask .
Regards

That would be great omega, more info the better :) Btw I'm still with my 400D which is why my BenQ photo was dark, I want the 70D but price is silly for 18MP when mirrrorless will arrive in a years time and feature a 24MP sensor.

I checked around my area and could only find tall fountain pumps and fishtank pumps, next port of call is checking google cos I can appreciate this method and save some effort doing it more thoroughly. So what pump and filter did you manage to find?

I quickly google the pump i am using and found some info on it , here is the link : http://www.aquariumline.com/catalog/resun-recirculation-pump-aquarium-series-s1000-p-5959.html?language=en

The pump am using , push 1000L/HR , but it is a little "slow ", i suggest if you can find something like 1500L/Hr or more , i think it will be better .

Am using this type of filter , Which i found better than the traditional coffee filter ( the cone one ) added to cotton wool which helps greatly in the filtration process .
foah.jpg

Regards.

A little tease ,I've just mounted the rad and fans , to see how sexy it look :P
7c27.jpg

I'm away for a few days tomorrow morning and will check out that pump next week. Could you post a photo of how you have the pump setup (it looks different to the one in the video), not exactly sure how you use that one you picked cos I've never had a pond/fountain/fishtank - 4 legs is better ;)

Good to know you found a better filter, if you have no use for them I find they are great for cleaning your CPU/GPU for application of TIM and they don't scratch. What's with the variety of colours on the filter?

Now that an awesome looking build you've got.

I'm away for a few days tomorrow morning and will check out that pump next week. Could you post a photo of how you have the pump setup (it looks different to the one in the video), not exactly sure how you use that one you picked cos I've never had a pond/fountain/fishtank - 4 legs is better ;)

Good to know you found a better filter, if you have no use for them I find they are great for cleaning your CPU/GPU for application of TIM and they don't scratch. What's with the variety of colours on the filter?

I took an image from the net to show you what filter i used, because i do not have any left at the moment :) . I hope this image will help you a little

td59.jpg

I took the idea from this site , and mod it a little http://tryscience.org/nld/handson2.html

Looks good, you have a dust filter for these fans?

Yeah i had too . Obsidian are dust vacuum lol

EDIT:

The only thing that's holding me back is an aluminum panel for the hardware , which is super hard to find in 2mm thickness , they usually come in 0.5mm or 1mm thickness , which is too " flexible "/ fragile  to work with.

Another problem am facing are the screws , i need to buy a few more to mount all those fans , Also i have not start a topic on cable management :) omg this will be a pain in the " assets "

Regards

HI guys , just want to ask , what color you think will be better for the inside of the case , white interior or black interior ??

Regards

Black with white elements. My case is white inside and I don't like it that much ;)

Thanks for the input guys , still searching for this damn aluminum  .My build is pause till i found the "right " alloy

Regards

Black. Too much white would spoil the theme as black allows you to place subtle LEDs inside otherwise it's too bright. So what if its black, you still need to clean the dust ;) If you want advice about metals ask over at oc3d forums because Tom Logan used to be a metal worker and sure there will be others there to give advice. Delays are the story of the year with tech, my Folding PC was delayed and not enough highend components with every git building a mining PC :P but hope you have better luck and aren't delayed too much :)

Clearly you are going to town with this case and will be interesting to follow the progress on making it your own, when you get stuck in take lots of photos whether you have a dodgy camera of not. Keep up the good work!

Btw omega I am going to use all 120mm fans on my build too and love the Gentle Typhoon 120mm, I did want to use 140mm fans in push but they aren't really suited for radiators (static pressure is poor) and 120mm is more efficient. Will use adapter clips for fans if I get larger 560mm rad. GTs are expensive at £17 each but not much I can do there but shop around otherwise will suck it up.

Yeah the 120mm range are better for radiators , been looking for fans for more than 2 months and end up buying the GT-Ap15 , but if you want to control those fan , you will need at least a fan controller than have 30w/channel and that can handle those powerfull fan at low speed , because i guess that you will used those fan at 600-700RPM like i will do. The lamptron FC-08 was my first choice untill i find the aquero 5LT ,which should easily stealth itself in the case.

Friend of mine will come to my country really soon along with a mirror acrylic and frosted acrylic sheet ( yeah i do not have the material i need in my country -_- ) and i will build the illuminated mid-panel,with the " water-channel " that i have not plan yet  which is the hardest part.

I could already buy a piece of aluminum sheet at a metal shop near my place , but am not sure of the alloy ,am also not sure if i will find the alloy am searching in my country .

I have already taken a lot of picture , am getting use to my camera :P so , no more crappy photos , i will post them later when i have all the materials i need

Regards

Guys , i had to share this with you , i have been flushing my rads in 2 parts , firstly it was few weeks ago and i have been flushing them for nearly 4 hours each individually .

Today I've decide to flush them again , i have done flushing one 240 rad today , so i took one 480 before i go to sleep , and what i saw shocked me as i though that when i flush the rads for the first time few weeks ago that it was enough , but i guess it isnt

Cotton wool :
 jbsw.jpg

Coffee filter :

opgm.jpg

I will let this 480 rad flush overnight and will post the result

Regards

UPDATES:

Its been more than 6 hours now , and the rad is still dirty , i dont know if this is normal or not , but i send a ticket to EK just in case . Am going to work now , will be back in approx. 13hours , i will let the rad flush till i come back . The deionized turn a little Yellow/Brown in color , I want to switch to tap water so that i have " fresh " water to flush it , but i dont know if it will be a good idea , any advise ??

Flushing for that long should be enough cos all you are doing is getting any little bits out of your rad that could damage your pump, the colour shouldn't matter and may be left over resins from the deionised process but that's only a guess to your photos. Are you sure the dirt isn't being recirculated into the loop? I read that if you shine a red laser into a clear glass of deionised water it should show how dirty it is. Let us know how you get on, hope it isn't causing you too much grief.

My plan when I get my rads next month is to do this, simple and cheap to do with tap water. After a few hours I will use a bottle of premixed distilled water to shake for a while then empty with plug in to check for particles of dirt.
tDUkvLl.jpg