How Far Will ZoSo Go?!?!   4 members have voted

1. 1. Max stable OC with the 3770K and Formula OC + H110

• 4.7 Ghz
    • 4.8 GHz
    • 4.9 GHz
    • 5.0 GHz +
  2. 2. Should I upgrade to a 1440p 32" Gaming Monitor Soon?

• Definitely, DisplayPort 1.3 adoption is going at a snails pace
    • Have patience young grasshopper.
  3. 3. What GPU AIO Cooler Should I Pick to Pair w/ 1070 + Kraken G10 (Must fit in front or rear of 650D)

• Corsair H90
    • Corsair H75
    • NZXT Kraken 41
    • Antec 920
    • Build Custom Loop for CPU using 200mm Rad in Front of 650D

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 posts in this topic

Well guys, sadly my ASRock Z77 Extreme6 is no longer functioning fully and I haven't yet decided what I am going to do with it.  Even with bent pins it fetches over $100 on Ebay, that is how high of a demand Z77 boards are.  The strength of the 3770K and the Ivy Bridge-E chips really shows its head when you look at the prices on Ebay.  Even the lower end chipset (H77) are fetching far more than I have seen when selling used motherboards in the past.  Actually in 15 years of researching/purchasing/repairing/modding/overclocking/re-selling/buying/etc I have never seen prices like this before so far out from the launch, not even close actually.  I sold my P45 board for like 1/2 of what it went for and used Extreme4's are selling all day long on Ebay for $150 ($20 more than new).

Pic of bent pins on Extreme6 (in top right quarter of socket):

Bent-Pins-ASRock-Extreme6-%281-of-1%29.j

Full Res

The review to this board linked below was written 1/15/13 so a little over 3 years old and the average selling price on Ebay for this board fluxuates drastically anywhere from $150 (how much I found mine for) or as much $300 for a used motherboard....  Never in my life!   It is nuts and you can easily see it if you check this link of a general search for Z77 boards:  CLICK ME  Depending on the time of day and the day of the week, you will see drastically different prices currently I see an EVGA Z77 FTW going for $175 which is actually a fair price, but I would still take the Formula OC, especially after you read their review.   http://www.anandtech.com/show/6650/asrock-z77-oc-formula-review-living-in-the-fast-lane

Naming aside, this is a board I really like to use.  On the board itself We get integrated water cooling on the large VRM heatsink (like the ASUS Maximus V Formula), a liberal abuse of eight fan headers, 10 SATA ports (six SATA 6 Gbps), 8 USB 3.0 ports with 10 USB 2.0 ports for good measure, an ideal layout for dual-GPU setups, all the debug tools needed should anything go wrong, 13 (thirteen) onboard temperature sensors and even voltage read points for overclockers.  Features not readily apparent include a multiple filter cap system to reduce electrical noise, and switches to enable/disable PCIe slots (reduce instability when not in use).

At stock settings, the Z77 OC Formula constantly hits the top spots in most of our benchmarks.  Stock settings aside, the Z77 OC Formula pushed our retail i7-3770K CPU sample to 4.9 GHz, limited only by the cooling at load, and to 5.2 GHz unloaded.  We also pushed a set of 2x4 GB 2666 C11 memory to 2800 C12 with a simple bump on the memory strap after XMP, peaked at an unloaded 2920 C12 and reached a peak BCLK of 110.3 overall.

Overall the ASRock looks nicer, has more features, better OC and fan controls, as well as great software and in-the box contents.  As a reviewer I feel the price difference is easily justified.  As a competitive overclocker, the ASRock has a lot of tools to progress into Ivy Bridge overclocking for the novice and veteran alike, and as a gamer some of those options will push the frames a little more than before.  ASRock have achieved a product win, and the Z77 OC Formula is the board to kick start a board design revolution back at ASRock HQ.

CPU Power: 12 + 4 Phases 
PCH Power: 2 Phase 
Memory Power: 4 Phase

silver_award.png     pcb_layer_small.jpg

-- Even includes plastic standoffs for easy benching at any location!

Formula-OCStands-Desc.jpg

The final cool pic containing my Z77 Extreme6:

Bent-Pins-Extreme6-Lights.jpg

Full Res

Here is my actual board that will arrive in about a day or two that I got on Ebay.  The socket looks nearly perfect, I may not even try to adjust that one that looks a tiny bit off just to see if it even matters (some of the pins are ground and don't have a noticeable effect if open loop).

s-l1600.jpg                                  ASRock-Z77-Formula-OC-Socket-Picture-Eba

Picture of my newly purchased ASRock Z77 Formula OC, this board is impressive across the board 10 SATA ports and 18 USB ports and designed from the ground up by Nick Shih.  He includes profiles for almost every hardware combination in existence at the time of manufacturing.  He even has memory profiles based on the ICs used on the stick installed, pretty impressive in my opinion.

I will post back when I have anything new to share, really looking forward to the results this motherboard can deliver.

Specs of upcoming build/upgrade:

CPU: i7 3770K | Motherboard: ASRock Z77 OC Formula | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2400 | Cooling: (CPU) Corsair H110 + 2x Corsair SP140s | (GPU) Thermaltake Water2.0 Pro + 2x Corsair SP120s w/ Kraken G10 + Noctua NF-A9 | PSU: Corsair HX750W | Case: Corsair 650D

Edited by ZoSo

Pick Kraken X41, you get awesome CAM software support. Antec 920 is pain in the ass and for some reason LED on the pump does not turn off when PC shuts down.

What monitor you have in mind? Try Wasabi Mango UHD400 :)

There are a lot of panels I am eyeing, but not trying to go 4K.  I am looking at 1440p including the ultra wides, the Acer X34 and Asus ROG PG348Q are really one of my few options that have the features I am looking for.  Almost grabbed the Acer Z34, but after reading on TFT Central decided against that one.

The board is here!!!  Time to put it all together.

Okay guys I finally have everything setup how I like it, aside from getting a new AIO cooler for the GPU (can't decide which model).  Here are some shots of my newly improved rig.

I am now running my 3770K @ 3.6 GHz and my Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 is finally stable at 2400 MHz at the stock 1.65V.  Before even at 1.7V and loosened timings I could not get that RAM to boot at 2400 MHz and survive any load, 2200 was the limit before.  My CPU can easily go past 4.6, but I am not sure where the wall is going to be.  Currently I am running a core voltage of 1.2V, but this OC Formula has so many more options in the BIOS, some of the settings I don't even recognize!!  See the review link in my first post for screens of the BIOS.

Full Res Pics: http://ws6zep89.picturepush.com/album/503642/p-ASRock-Z77-Formula-OC-Upgrade.html

ASRock-OC-Formula-6-%281-of-1%29.jpg

ASRock-OC-Formula-9-%281-of-1%29.jpg   ASRock-OC-Formula-8-%281-of-1%29.jpg

ASRock-OC-Formula-7-%281-of-1%29.jpg

ASRock-OC-Formula-4-%281-of-1%29.jpg       ASRock-OC-Formula-3-%281-of-1%29.jpg

ASRock-OC-Formula-2-%281-of-1%29.jpg    ASRock-OC-Formula-%281-of-1%29.jpg

ASRock-OC-Formula-5-%281-of-1%29.jpg

I really like the look of this "High Density Glass Fabric" PCB design:

ASRock Website: What you’ve never understood about your computer is that it is scared to death of water, H2O, humidity or whatever you’d like to name it. And even though you do not see the water, actually there may be lots of excessive moist in the air killing your motherboard silently and slowly. No, your motherboard doesn’t melt when in contact with water like the wicked witch of the west, but it dies of short circuit. Luckily, ASRock has a new High Density Glass Fabric PCB design that reduces the gaps between the PCB layers to protect the motherboard against electrical shorts caused by humidity.

AM1-GlassFabric-BG.png

Edited by ZoSo