ZoSo

ZoSo's MSI 1070 Armor + H110 / Kraken G10 (Max Load: 43C @ 2.14 GHz | 9.624 Gbps)

23 posts in this topic

GTX-1070-H110-RAW-SourceXr-.jpg

few of the regulars know about this, but I thought I would make a thread to maybe help out some people looking to do a similar build.

Currently my MSI GTX 1070 Armor is OCing to 2.08 GHz and 9.1 Gbps VRAM with the stock cooler using a custom fan curve + Afterburner.

I was about to do the H110 install last night until I realized I had a faulty anchor bolt from NZXT as you can see in the picture.  For now this will be a place holder until  I get the new mounting hardware in the mail. 

**Note** As pointed out below, it sounds like changing the stock cooler does not void the warranty even though there is a sticker that says void warranty if removed on one of the screws holding the stock cooler in place.

jVxZdH79vIFai047-bMfesAF3FyADWt-0c50fbc79ec24da30a2669205f92b82f7babef03.jpg

GP104.jpg

Hunt-Library-July-2016-08040310.jpg

She is installed!!! See below for a few details on results.  I will be providing graphs from Afterburner logs to show clocks and temp changes.  For now here is a screen cap from one of the videos I'll be merging into one:

MSI 1070 Armor No Cooler.jpg

Edited by ZoSo
_

Again some very nice clocks :)

I know the top brands we are familiar with are fine with you removing the sticker in fitting your own cooler. To not allow this would be shooting yourself in the foot, anyway here's the MSI post I managed to dig back and find to help clarify...

VCFtKdw.png

I generally wrap the replaced cooler in cling film in order to protect heatsink and thermal pads for re-application if you need to RMA. (Most people won't) if you brick your card through using an incorrect BIOS then you're on your own. I last bought EVGA Classified for insurance (dual BIOS) but wasn't really worth it for the sake of loosing boost and extra bins for benchmarking. I went back to a normal card for gaming with high boosts, and as you've done just rely on Afterburner to push it when required.

The whole reason I've used a custom BIOS is to up the power/voltage limit above what Afterburner allows (108% and 100mV)  Also it allows me to set new clocks for all power states.  When I did this with my MSI 970 Gaming on the stock cooler it gave me a 5-10% further boost in clock speeds.  However I am not planning on making one for this 1070 until we have a BIOS editor and base template that has been tested thoroughly.  

So I finally have an exact day when the replacement bolt is arriving for my Kraken G10!!!!  It should be here tomorrow and I plan to install it tomorrow too!!

I also just purchased a new camera and it will be here tomorrow too!!!  I got the Samsung NX3000 (Mirrorless) w/ 20-50mm and 50-200mm lenses.  So the quality of my pictures should increase dramatically compared to my 2nd Gen Moto X phone pics lol.

Really excited to finally be able to install my AIO 280mm H110 cooler to the MSI GTX 1070 Armor!!!!  Had to wait nearly a month for NZXT to send out one bolt...

Results before H110 install:  Max Temp in Rise of The Tomb Raider: 74C

Results after H110 Install: Max Temp in Rise of The Tomb Raider: 39C  (WOOOOOT!!!!)

This resulted in clock speeds of 2.1 GHz on the core and 9.5 Gbps on the VRAM at a max temp of 39C after 3 hours of RoTR.

I made a video, I just need to go through and edit it, for now I will provide a few pictures, but sadly I forgot to take pics of the card with the cooler removed...  I do have video coming though!

GTX-1070-Armor-%281-of-1%29.jpg

I did run into one problem, the hoses from the H110 are not long enough to reach the roof of the Corsair 650D.  Now I need to decide how I am going to mount this radiator.  For right now it just resting in between the end of the GPU and the hard drive cage.

Edited by ZoSo

Gotta love the DIY approach even though I haven't seen a rad in the middle of the case, gains are as good as any loop :) Downside is the H110 tube length is shorter than GPU AIO's due to being CPU AIO for normal mounting in roof.

Please buy a backplate, card appears to warp unless your lens is distorting this image.

Just the lens and angle of the picture.  The stock cooler is heavier than what is on there now.

I am extremely happy with the results, I just need to figure out how to mount this thing permanently.  The temps are fine now if I could rig up a mount for where it is sitting.

Edited by ZoSo

You can post this in news section, it will appear at the main site.

7 hours ago, WhyCry said:

You can post this in news section, it will appear at the main site.

Appreciate it, I will edit it more before doing that.

I believe these mounts will allow me to mount the radiator where it sits.  I also plan to cut vents into the back panel of the case where the fans on the radiator can pull in cool air from outside through these vents.  If anyone has a better idea let me know.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10347/ex-rad-179/XSPC_Radiator_Mounting_Bracket_Set_-_632_Thread.html?tl=g30c637s1731#blank

If I could pop off the tubing I would consider mounting it outside the case.   However that obviously isn't an option with a closed loop AIO.   It is a shame you can't change the tubing.   I have seen people put tubing over the tubing to change the color, but not actually replace it. 

Well apparently it can be done: 

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=693941

However I don't think it is worth the risk/effort with how good my temps are already.   Could ruin the H110 or worse lol (leak onto hardware). 

Oh and Smithaye, I found some really bad ass backplates, but they are pricey due to being custom:

http://www.coldzero.eu/msi-gtx-1070-armor/2684-msi-gtx-1070-armor-layout-2-black-1.html

I found two other sites selling them, but the price range are all pretty close.   Roughly $45 which is high for a backplate.  I paid $25 for the last one I bought (GTX 295 lol). 

Edited by ZoSo

13 hours ago, ZoSo said:

Appreciate it, I will edit it more before doing that.

Just tell us when, we will move the whole thread.

If you ever did replace the tubing, I wouldn't as they aren't meant to be accessed and contain mix of coolant and biocides that will normally last a good 2 years of solid use. PH balance needs to be exact (6.5 ~ 8.5) and rechecked every 3 months, Mayhem's do the Biocide Extreme and requires a testing kit. You could buy a litre of Mayhem's clear premix and flush every 6 -12 months without using biocide, worth considering if tubing really needs doing. Note that other makes may not protect against certain metals and cause corrosion or scaling.

That backplate does look nice and you do need one but expensive for what it is. I paid £20 for my EK backplates. Note that Coldzero is very slow to get around to making most things (including replying to emails), as there is none in stock you may as well email and ask if he could do one to ship within a fortnight, a month tops - that is more than reasonable.

Smithaye you are always typing exactly what I would have typed to someone on the same subject had I read it.  This is the primary reason I don't want to do it, because these are closed loop systems meant to last 5 years or so.  Open one up and it's no longer a closed system, never exposed to the elements.  I am sure it took millions of dollars in R&D to figure out the exact mixtures and pump speeds for all of these systems to work.  I would only do it if I for some reason couldn't mount it where it currently sits or another spot in the case.  Honestly though, I'd just sell it and get one with longer tubing.  I know one reason the tubing is short is to reduce strain on the pump and also less tubing to go bad overtime as coolant is run around through day in and day out.

I did it guys, I beat a stock 1080 w/ same CPU (their OC is 100 Mhz higher) in the new 3DMark Time Spy Graphics Benchmark across the board minus the CPU score.

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/163456/spy/39763#

(Note: Video is still in the process of being edited and rendered, coming ASAP)

GTX 1070 @ 2.139 GHz | 9.624 Gbps VRAM : Graphics Test 1: 44.39 Graphics Test 2: 38.40 FPS

GTX 1080 @ stock : Graphics Test 1: 42.20 Graphics Test 2: 36.52 FPS

(**Note: the 1080's VRAM speed is reported strangely due to GDDR5X, stock = 800MHz**)

For my CPU/GPU combo in 3DMark's new DX12 "Time Spy" benchmark I am 70th overall:

Rankings for GTX 1070 + 3770K  (you need to select 1 GPU for non-SLI rankings)

I know this is a very specific test and a very small difference, but the point is I was able to reach a 1080's performance in a GPU designed stress scenario, plus I did it with a max load temp of 39-40C.

3Dmark-Beat-1080.jpg

3Dmark-Beat-1080-Speeds.jpg

Also here are my afterburner logs showing the ceiling temp is 41C at the harshest of loads:

Afterburner-Log-3DMark.jpg

Edited by ZoSo

Since you couldn't see my voltage in the other pic and people have been talking about issues with the voltage holding stable over 1.06, here is another screen showing me at 1.093V.  Funny thing is this only happens if I lower my temp limit down to the min of 60C, then my voltage will kick up to 1.095V, otherwise it stays at 1.075V

Funnier part is by lowering my temp limit my temps actually went up by 2C due to the increased voltage, lol.  I am still trying to wrap my head around how this new GPU boost is calculating everything.  Especially when lowering the temp limit you end up with more voltage???

Edited by ZoSo

Guys I just hit the #1 spot in Fire Strike Ultra for anyone with a i7 3770K and 1x GTX 1070 combo!

http://www.3dmark.com/search#/?mode=advanced&url=/proxycon/ajax/search/cpugpu/fs/R/1419/1090/8157?minScore=0&cpuName=Intel Core i7-3770K Processor&gpuName=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

(In the link you might have to tell it only 1 GPU, not "Any")

%25231-3DMark-Fire-Ultra.jpg

Edited by ZoSo

Moving on up!

MSI-1070-Rig-Window-Pic-32GB-RAM-.jpg

Upgraded to 32GB of DDR3 2400 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (4x 8GB) from 16GB of GSkill Sniper Series 2133 MHz (4x 4GB) and I bumped my CPU OC from 4.2 GHz to 4.4 GHz.

Have completely taken over my CPU/GPU combo top spots haha:

3DMark-Moving-on-Up.jpg

Edited by ZoSo

Celebrating over 300 unique views of my YouTube install/benchmark video!

Guys I have been considering doing something a little comical now.  I wonder if I would get more performance gains if I put the H110 on the 3770K and put the double width 120mm (Thermaltake Water2.0 Pro) onto the 1070.  I would at least be curious to see how the TT Water 2.0 Pro would hold the 1070 temps vs. how they are doing now.  I can run the fans at silent and never break 56C on the 1070, but I can't push my 3770K much past 4.3 GHz using this double width 120mm.  It used to be the case that GPUs needed much better coolers than CPUs due to the power draw, but I guess now after 2 optimizations/re-designs of Kepler at 16nm they have the temps well below a 3770K at 4.2GHz+

Opinions?

Note if I did this and it did work out better, I would actually be able to mount the 280mm radiator in the roof of the case if it was mounted to the CPU!  Or I could just look for a 200mm AIO (do they come in 200mm??)  This would mount directly into the front fan location.  I know a 200mm radiator (especially a thick one) would be plenty for the 1070.

This is one of the few 200mm radiator "kits" I found so far and I wouldn't really call that a kit with everything pieced together in one box, it's not an AIO design:  http://www.performance-pcs.com/phobya-pure-performance-complete-watercooling-kit-200lt.html

I also have the option to get a double thick 140mm radiator, which in theory would give the same fin surface area as a 280mm single thickness (H110), such as the NZXT X41 (1.4x thick) or another one of these expensive "kits" that offers a true dual thickness (60mm) 140mm radiator: http://www.performance-pcs.com/phobya-pure-performance-kit-140lt-bayone.html

Overall the most interesting option is this 42mm thick 120mm radiator, but I would want more of a change compared to my current model (25mm) to bother with the whole ordeal:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214057

If anyone out there has an extravagant AIO solution that now regrets spending the money, I will trade you a perfectly good TT Water2.0 Pro (holds a 4.2 GHz 3770K @ max temp of 71C in IBT) with brand new mounting hardware kit unused by anyone (H110 hardware matches TT Water2.0 Pro and I never needed that hardware).  I will make due with whatever hardware you have as long as it's not damaged.

Edited by ZoSo

Okay so I switched the coolers around, but now I have one issue.  My ASRock Z77 Extreme6 has a bent pin or two.  I am going to have to take the time to fix that which is very tedious and not the first time I have had to do it (though usually on the CPU).

BUT:  I was able to OC the 3770K to 4.5 GHz @ 1.2V with a max temp of 73C and my same OC on the 1070 using the TT Water2.0 Pro has a max temp of 53C (10C higher but still very low).  Eventually I will upgrade the Water2.0 Pro so the GPU has something better.

A few new pictures:

GTX-1070-H110-RAW-SourceXr-.jpg

(love that pic, made it the first thing you see in the thread and the thumbnail)

and this one is okay:

Rig-2-1.jpg

New thread over here:

Bent-Pins-Extreme6-Lights.jpg